Malifaux Skirmish Dice

wizdom

Notice:  This is a personal project and therefore not endorsed by Wyrd. I'm not selling this game.

I started working on a game design I've been calling Skirmish Dice for quite a while. Quick background on me: I'm a game designer and game publisher, as well as, a total Malifaux fanboy and player since first edition (Arcanists, baby!). After implementing a fantasy theme of my own devising during development, I was talking with some friends who mentioned that the game would be really fun in the Malifaux universe. And so, I have done just that for fun. I thought I'd share it here so my fellow Wyrdos could check it out.

Tonight I started cutting out the prototype:

Malifaux_Skirmish_Dice_Cut.thumb.jpg.b4b93be29ebe69509198d7509086bf21.jpg

The first two crews I picked are the Raspy box and Jakob Lynch box. It's been fun trying to capture the essence of each model in a streamlined form for this game.

The Gist

The game is a dice and card combat game for two-players. Each player has a team (or crew in Malifaux) with units (models) represented by dice. Three sides of each die show an action, while two show a different action, and a third action is shown by the last side. In this way, each die has three possible actions. The dice are moved around on a grid map and attack one another. Under each die is a base (custom square bases designed to hold these indented dice in the pic - 3D printed). When attacks are made, etc. the dice are rolled and placed back in their bases. Here are the dice sides from the photo above...

LsZIZT6.jpg

The strip on the left is the six sides from the Ice Gamin die and the one on the right is The Illuminated. In the bottom right are scratch marks that represent weak, moderate, or severe damage. In the top left corner of each side is a number to identify the die when shuffling through a horde of dice. The game is played on a grid with terrain. Each round, you choose one unit to activate. You have a free move with it, and you can activate the action showing on the die as well (or you can double move if you want). Each action is identified by an image and on the unit card as well.

The game is very offense-focused and plays quickly (about 30 minutes). It's generally played with 5-6 units per player, so around 25ss in Malifaux terms.

Moving Foward

If anyone wants to know more about the game, or maybe even print out a copy for yourself to play with, I'm happy to share information/PnP files. If the mods are cool with me posting this here, I'll update this thread now and then with new images and more info. about me trying to convert Malifaux crews to this system.

Also, I'll have this version with me at Gen Con if you want to try it! I'm volunteering at the Wyrd booth one day too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Did you get prior approval to use Wyrd IP? Otherwise you're hella balsy to post it here! :D

Looks and sounds amazing either way!

Nope! But I'm not trying to sell this version of the game or anything. As stated above, this is just for fun, hence me posting it on this forum in all transparency.

And, thanks! I'll post more pics soon if people want to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

It looks like a cool idea, is it similar to Star Wars Destiny?

Not especially. Star Wars Destiny is static. You roll the dice and decide in what order you want to activate them. In Skirmish Dice, you also roll and determine in which order you want to activate what you have, but you're also moving them on a board and more. So, I guess it's like Star Wars Destiny in so much as it's like more dice games (where you roll and do something).

Okay, my prototype is built (thanks to the board from Krosmaster Arena) and I have a skirmish in mid-play ready for photographing! Here you go (with commentary by me)...

THE SET UP - Arcanists (Rasputina + Ice Golem + 3x Ice Gamin + Wendigo) vs. Neverborn (Jakob Lynch + 2x Illuminated + Hungering Darkness + Beckoner)

mGhHkgm.jpg

THE "ACTION" SHOTS - Rasputina looking on from the back. I tend to put leaders/masters in a different base color (below).

zltm8hu.jpg

Below:  Hungering Darkness is there in the middle taking on the Ice Golem at the bottom. The Ice Gamin and Illuminated have gathered around.

xtPKO9w.jpg

MORE "ACTION" SHOTS - Jakob Lynch looks on from behind the cover of a hedge.

kEwzx60.jpg

Below: Rasputina rolls, getting a weak damage (notice the single slash in the bottom right). She'll then be placed back in her dice base.

TlfS54g.jpg

THE CREW CARDS - An overview: First up, Jakob Lynch's crew

09PQycL.jpgA

Above: The Beckoner begins the game with 2 Defense (I used blue cubes), so obviously she hasn't taken any damage. The Illuminated, however, starts the game with 3 Defense and has lost all 3 already (by taking 3 damage), as well as, another point of damage. After 7 total damage (after defense), he'll die.

Also: On the cards, you see a Trait followed by actions. Non-totem minions have 3 possible actions, each corresponding to a dice side. When that side is showing, they can take that action.

M0a1U28.jpg

Above: Neither Raspy, nor the Wendigo have taken dmg yet, hence their defense is still full. When you take damage and lose defense, it's gone.

oLrdM02.jpg

Above: Up close of some damaged Ice Gamin.

THE BASE - Below is a 3D printed dice base. Pretty basic design. They stack, which is nice. You can use different colors for conditions if you want.

KuHI0Jh.jpg

QUESTIONS? - I haven't exactly posted rules or anything yet, but I'll be happy to answer any questions so far.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2017 at 12:25 PM, HydroMog said:

nice use of the krosmaster boards.

has this system been released or is it just a personal system? I know you said that you were using the malifaux stuff as a personal project but i am interested in the general rule system.

I was away from the forums for like, two years, so yeah. The system is my own and it's never been released. I'm a game designer by hobby and until recently a games publisher (I sold my company last December). I don't see myself ever finishing this system, sadly, but you never know...