How to shade translucent miniatures

Hi Crew,

how do you shade Wyrds nice translucent miniatures. I have some Spirits I don't want to paint, but I thought shading might look nice on them. How do i manage to keep the paint on the miniature without having to put laque on them first? Or is there another technique you use?

Thank you!

I have just used washes (Normally Citadeal, because thats what I have the most of, but I on't think any have failed for me) straight on the plastic, and it seems ok. If you are finding that the shading doesn't adhere, then I guess you could "prime" with varnish. 

I like the shading effects on them, it really helps pick out the detail. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adran said:

I have just used washes (Normally Citadeal, because thats what I have the most of, but I on't think any have failed for me) straight on the plastic, and it seems ok. If you are finding that the shading doesn't adhere, then I guess you could "prime" with varnish. 

I like the shading effects on them, it really helps pick out the detail. 

Yeah, this is one problem I've always had with just the very nature of the translucent models. I love the idea of them; and some models look absolutely FANTASTIC. But it's mostly the more ethereal sorts of models. Spirits, things of that nature. But at the same time it's really, really difficult to make out a lot of features on damn near every model ever created without some kind of paint and/or shade to make them stand out.

Alas, such is life.

13 hours ago, Kyris said:

Yeah, this is one problem I've always had with just the very nature of the translucent models. I love the idea of them; and some models look absolutely FANTASTIC. But it's mostly the more ethereal sorts of models. Spirits, things of that nature. But at the same time it's really, really difficult to make out a lot of features on damn near every model ever created without some kind of paint and/or shade to make them stand out.

Alas, such is life.

Yes, the only models I 've kept as translucent (So only Washes and some hightlighting) are those it fits. Others I've painted the bulk of the model as normal, and just left a few bits Translucent. If I could master photos, I'd put up my Coppelius who has all his clothes painted normally, and I've left his skin with a brownish wash over the translucent pink to make him look quite ethereal.

Thank you for your replies, I'll try to shade them with the normal inks than. I just thought it wouldn't stick to an unprimed surface, but I'll give it a try. Have you tried priming translucents with varnish? I thougt it might ruin the shiny effect, but I guess I'll test it on some leftover sprue.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...