Post Califaux 2017 Thoughts

TheSultanOfSalt

Hey Malifriends!

My name is Steve and I recently had the honor of representing the Guild in Califaux 2017. It was my first major Malifaux tournament since starting the game approximately six months ago. In that time I have been the beneficiary of an incredibly passionate and nurturing San Diego meta that helped to foster my love and aptitude for the game we're all here to discuss. I met a lot of amazing players from all over the west coast and learned a metric boatload. There was some outreach over A Wyrd Place for me to post some thoughts on the event and as such, here I am!

I was asked what I ran during the event, so I'll start with that. I was able to play all of my favorite masters in the 7 rounds that encompassed the tournament. I played Lucas McCabe three times, Sonnia Criid two times, and Lucius and Lady Justice each once. I'm happy to discuss those lists in greater detail if there's any call for it in this thread or over private messages.

I was treated to a number of difficult games against player whom I feel were in many ways more skilled than myself. I won't claim to have any expertise in the game as most of my opponents have been playing far longer than myself and with a much deeper well of knowledge. Instead, I'd like to share my experience and observations. There was a great deal of Wave Four present at the tournament. Especially in the games I played. Of those, 5 involved Wave Four masters. I sat across the table from Reva three times and from Sandeep twice.

All five of these games were exceptionally taxing due to my unfamiliarity with the masters and their shenanigans. Reva, especially, took me three tries to figure out. The first two games against her both resulted in draws. I attempted to counter her with Lady J first, thinking corpse marker denial was the key and found myself handily out maneuvered and neutralized. Then I attempted to blitz her with McCabe. I was able to successfully neutralize Reva, not kill her mind you, but neutralized myself as well, resulting in a 2-2 tie. Finally, on the third game, I was able to purify her with cleansing fire thanks to my favorite master, Sonnia Criid. And a red joker on damage from Francisco. 

Sandeep on the other hand seemed to be incredibly powerful but also very easy to control. In my first game against him I was able to engage him and his book worm wizards with a hungry executioner and McCabe's biker gang on turn 1. It made the game very difficult for Sandeep and denied a lot of his shenanigans. Despite this, the player I faced nearly fought out a draw due to his finer mastery of the game. The second encounter I brought Ms. Criid, for thematic reasons, but also because I felt she would be a difficult target for Sandeep to fend off. I was right, and I was also lucky. Sonnia was able to wipe half of Sandeep's five wound mages off the board from the safety of an ice cavern with a single attack (and a little help from a red joker). Once his retinue of spell casters were out of the picture he had a very difficult time manipulating the board, similar to a guardsman Lucius list, with which I am intimately familiar.

I was able to smeagle a first place finish in the masters tournament, but I can't help but feel like there were better players with worse luck. I was humbled to have had the opportunity to play with all of my fellow Malifriends this Califaux and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Thanks for reading Malifriends!

(Post moved to the correct forum!)

• Like 2

On 6/6/2017 at 1:27 PM, TheSultanOfSalt said:

In that time I have been the beneficiary of an incredibly passionate and nurturing San Diego meta that helped to foster my love and aptitude for the game we're all here to discuss.

Is there a Facebook group or anything for Malifaux players in San Diego? 

I'm in the San Diego area and would like to be passionately nurtured.

• 3 weeks later...