Monthly painting challenge 2017 -- June

prof_bycid

So I hit my pledge early in the month before going to Origins which was great because I got good use out of Angelica and the Ice Dancers while there. This past week I've mostly been recovering from the trip but I got a little bit of hobby time in assembling Carlos Vasquez and working on some new terrain.

I'm hoping to finish 3 Metal Gamin by Friday and finish the month strong. We'll see how the week goes...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prof_bycid said:

@SoylentRobot You can do it, S.R.!

@H4ml3t Cant' wait to try out Carlos.  Just got back into Kaeris recently.  How is the model?

Not too hard to assemble and I love the dynamic pose. My only concern is that the only thing touching the base is the swirl of flame from the torch in his left hand meaning the joint where his left arm and shoulder meet is supporting the weight of the rest of the model. I got a solid bond but it still makes me worry.

Historically I've had poor success in painting flame effects but I have a new plan and I'm looking forward to trying it.

4 hours ago, H4ml3t said:

Not too hard to assemble and I love the dynamic pose. My only concern is that the only thing touching the base is the swirl of flame from the torch in his left hand meaning the joint where his left arm and shoulder meet is supporting the weight of the rest of the model. I got a solid bond but it still makes me worry.

Historically I've had poor success in painting flame effects but I have a new plan and I'm looking forward to trying it.

What I've done that is NOT HARD and looks fairly well is:

1) Paint the whole thing a medium red

2) wash it with a white

3) wash it with yellow once that's dried

4) drybrush on a darker red on the highest points

5) put some dark grey or black on the farthest reaches if it's supposed to be a smoky fire

large.5950a1e7e5c8c_battletech-clangbnag

Don't forget to splash a bit of yellow on nearby skin for a nice OSL effect.

Gods, I forgot how bad my camera was when I took these battletech images. Oh well, the basic idea shows up well enough.

• Like 2

June has been a difficult month for me work and health-wise. Still, I managed to paint these for a total of 26 soulstones.

painters_challengejune_final_zpscjslxe8p

Big Jake was meant to be my entry in the ongoing painting competition but I got snowed under with work and  I missed the deadline... More pictures (less blurry ;) ) can be found on my blog.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Phinn said:

@Joachim, I really like how you painted wings of your Will o' the Wisps as those of a Monarch Butterfly. Would you mind if I used your idea for my Will o' the Wisps, please? :) I came up with few ideas myself but they are all inferior to yours.

Hello Phinn,

I'm flattered by your post. Offcourse it's ok, under the condition that when they're finished you share your work ;). Great to know that it inspired you.

Greetings, Joachim.

• Like 1

What a stressful month, but I managed to finish a lot of Ressurectionists, but of course, again, I had to change my goals mid-month due to work :D

• Madame Sybelle - 8 SS
  • 3 Rotten Belles - 15 SS
  • Flesh Construct - 6 SS
  • Carrion Effigy - 4 SS
  • Carrion Emissary - 10 SS
  • 2 Crooligans - 8 SS

summing up to a total of 51 SS :)

Ressers Wave 1 complete.jpg

• Like 7

@RikLok, is Iggy sealed? Because the fire... is... well... wrong.

Fire goes from lightest to darkest, with the lightest part INSIDE, and the outside being the darkest. You've got it inversed, and it doesn't really look like fire as much as just reddish-orange tentacles.

I know, it's an odd thing to complain about, but it's such an easy thing to get right that when I see it wrong it just... gripes me a bit.

• Like 1

June has been a really busy month. I finished my pledge, but not quite to the standard that I like.

June pledge group shot:

large.5955c6bdd00f9_Junepledgecomplete.J

Crooligans!

large.CrooliganA.JPG.7be61c8749e4331036elarge.CrooliganB.JPG.d315e7bab2309f5f96b

Philip and the Nanny!

large.Philip.JPG.87a4e922e857ac05aea53a8large.Nanny.JPG.aeae8281ed2a9d593954c741

Madame Sybelle!

large.Sybelle.JPG.d98c6f849d498313926d6d

Necrotic Machine!

large.5955c8abeb3ca_Necroticmachine.JPG.

So that looks like a total of 26SS for the month (8 for P&N, 8 for Sybelle, 4 x 2 for Crooligans, 2 for necrotic machine).
Next month I think I am going to take it easy with my pledge and just go with two models - the Viks!

• Like 4

Hey,

I had already posted 4 guild hounds and a poison gamin. Today I'd like to show two metal gamins and a canine remains:

20170630_002040_HDR_zpsuvvf9utr.jpg

20170629_191414_zpsxwkqbwpj.jpg

20170629_191249_zpsqrjttjbc.jpg

This would be a total of 29 soulstones for the month so far. I'll try tomorrow to finish the two poison gamins I had announced at the begining of the month, but nothing promised!

• Like 5