Monthly painting challenge 2017 -- June

prof_bycid

Wow, it is June already:  Welcome to month 4 of the painting challenge. 

What is this?:  This is a friendly painting community, not a competition.  Remember that this is a fan-based thing only, and is not sponsored or approved by Wyrd in any way (i.e., screw-ups are on me, not them.).  I am simply continuing the tradition started by Jaxx23 and Vaiuri and maybe others before them.  I may offer a prize, if I can figure out how to make the judgement with different people in different categories.  Maybe one prize for each category for the person who hits the goal every month and paints the most above the limit?  Maybe if y'all promise to not get too competitive on me, we'll see.  Let's start some banter about that.  Lack of banter will be taken as a lack of interest, which is also okay.

Rules:   can be found in the Monthly painting challenge enrollment post.  Or just ask me.  Most importantly at this point, everyone gets two misses before being booted.  So, if you join now you are already at strike 3 and out upon entering.  Why am I even writing this then?  Habit, I guess.  Finished models count for the month in which they are posted, i.e., post your models before the end of the month.

Tracking sheet can be found at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fUeZczizoFoMjwVDcJVpJtYkKiRvTOf5HpniRHrmijU/edit?usp=sharing

Posting:  At the START of the month: post a photo of your unpainted minis and any plans for them you have.  In the MIDDLE of the month: post work in progress photos if you want, or just banter about ideas.  At the END of the month: post your finished models and the Soul Stone Cost painted, and I will get this on the tracking sheet.  Post this by the end of the month.  And include the total soul stones painted.  Yes, I am being repetitive (but it makes things easier if you post the SS painted).

Aaaaaannnnnnnnnnd, wait for it, ... GO!

• Like 1

My plan for June, three Changelings and Luther, who I plan to use as a Teddy so his suit will probably be purple. I really dislike the material he's made of - it has a rubbery feel, it isn't easy to remove mold lines from it and there are many big gaps to fill with green stuff. Plastic minis are so much better...

painters_challenge_june_wip_0_zpsmfyggjq

• Like 3

Ugh, having troubles uploading my pledge photo, so I'll just have to list it out. Hopefully, come time for finals, the upload will work. Pretty stoked for this months projects. So, for the month I have:

2 Swine cursed (HYEPPPEEEE)

3 Changelings

and a conversion for the Mysterious Emissary

all totaled, it comes to 36ss, and once I get them pigmans done, a whole lot of gremlin games.

• Like 1

My June pledge is bunch more Molly stuff. I actually have a deadline this month with a local tourney on June 25th!

large.593160ff954e2_JunePledge.JPG.317fb

Phillip and the Nanny (8SS), Necrotic Machine (2SS), Madame Sybelle (8SS), Cooligan x 2 (4SS each) for a total of 26SS.

Fair warning: I dropped some terrain on P&N a few weeks back, and the model broke and bent in some places. I have it mostly put together, but my effort on painting it up may be less than normal. 
Also, Sybelle obviously has some paint on her already. That is from 3-4 years ago and my painting style has evolved since then. I am planning on painting over what is there to match my current style (much like I did with the punk zombies last month).

• Like 3

Need to finish 2 Ice Dancers and Angelica before leaving for Origins June 13. Anything else done before Origins (or the end of the month) is bonus: Miss Fire, 3 Union Miners, 3 Metal Gamin. 

No doubt I'll be buying plenty more minis at Origins...

IMG_20170602_163339032_zps8yfkfntd.jpg

• Like 2

I am taking it easy this month with a simple 20ss run of Dreamer and Bandersnatch. I want to keep myself open this month to maybe catch up on either building the rest of what I have or painting some of the other games that I still need to catch up on. This is both a wonderful and horrible hobby all at the same time!

3Ocu5yAJjPrZ.png

• Like 4

@prof_bycid

I don't think prizes are "necessary"--having a community to trade ideas with and be inspired by is reward enough.

That said, prizes do have a certain cool factor so here's some thoughts. Regarding the prize(s) themselves I'm sure I could stash enough Henchman Points between now and December to donate to the prize pool.  Others might be willing/able to donate as well.

Regarding how the prizes are rewarded we could do random drawings for everyone who completes the challenge. Alternately (or in addition to) prizes could go to the people who have completed the most Soulstones worth of models. I'm sure there's other good methods these are just some thoughts.

• Like 3

Hi guys,

I'm continuing to work on my neverborn crews and this month I'll start with the wisps. I'll need at least one more point but I'm not sure what else I will paint.

I'm also trying to post some pictures earlier during the month and show some WIP so I can still make some adjustments. I'm planning a brown with yellowgreenish glow color scheme as I think that will really fit the swampy theme. 

IMG_20170605_210704.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, SoylentRobot said:

I might (might!) have to skip this month due to a certain other miniature game getting a new edition. I'll post again in a week or two if I'm able to make this month tho, I'm hoping to get Killjoy soonish

"Luke! It's a Trap!" Lol

• Like 1

I've finished the Ice Dancers and Angelica. I did the Dancers pretty quickly with predictable results. I slowed down for Angelica and I'm pretty pleased with her. Her face and eyes are my best yet but so far I can't get a good picture of them. I haven't tried painting with black in a long time but I'm pleased with how her hat, boots and hair came out.

This puts me at 18ss for the month so far.

IMG_20170607_231547903_zpskzwqerul.jpg

IMG_20170607_231311870_zpsalizdslh.jpg

IMG_20170607_230929452_zpsrkobl7io.jpg

• Like 7

I forgot to take photos before, but I finished up 2 December Acolytes on the weekend...

18767370_10155314819404402_3038155327006995433_n_zpsabaok25t.jpg

...and over the last few days I've made a start on Rasputina to finish off my crew (sorry about the rubbish photo - will take a better one once it's finished). 

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%2011_zpsndiusesn.jpg

I haven't actually got any more Malifaux to paint then! Just a pile of Guildball stuff, and the new 40k when it arrives...

• Like 8