New Player Jakob Lynch

Walkur

Hi everyone,

I just jumped into this awesome universe and I have chosen Lynch to be my first master.

At this moment my crew is very limited: 3 Iluminated, 3 Depleted, 3 Stitched Ones, Doppleganger, Jakob and Hungering Darkness.

The list I made with this models is here:

SS Pool: 3

- Jakob Lynch 

+ Expert Cheater (2)

+ Woke up with a Hand (2)

+ Rising Sun (2)

- Hungering Darkness 

+ Addict (1)

- Doppleganger (7)

- The Illuminated (7)

- The Illuminated (7)

- The Depleted (4)

- The Depleted (4)

- Stitched Together (6)

- Stitched Together (6)

So, there's not much place for variation with the figures I already own, but I would deeply appreciate if you could give me some advice about possible variations and next models I should buy to have some more options. 

Many thanks on advance buddies!!

I'm not a big fan of Expert Cheater to be honest. I like his ace discarding too much to finish off something that survives the big gun!

You don't really have variation with your crew right now, so I would suggest getting the following:

- beckoner: lures models to her and can give out brilliance. She can also stop the opponent from taking Interact Actions within her LoS if they have Brilliance on them. Really strong!

-Lelu/Lilitu: You basicly buy this for Lilitu as her Lure has ca7 vs the ca6 from the Beckoner. She does cost 1SS more, so I would start with the Beckoner to keep it more in Lynch's theme.

-a beater like Teddy: On your list, you can get a lot of stuff done on this list, but bringing a Teddy puts a big bullseye on his head. He packs a serious punch and is not reliant on Brilliance in order to do so. Give him Retribution's Eye and you have a big beatstick that can ignore armor. Combine that with a Rising Sun Huggy (Hungering Darkness) and you will have 2 powerful beatsticks together with Lynch.

- A scheme runner such as Silurid: Your crew is fairly slow and you will have a hard time doing schemes like Breakthrough. A Silurid can jump out of engagements and is fairly annoying to take down.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

I think for scheme runners that some terror tots would be better for lynch. A silurid is zippy fast but costs 7ss. For the same price lynch can bring illuminated which are great models.

A terror tot can abuse the ace in the hole ability to guarantee sprint if you have the ace of masks in hand, which makes a 4ss (?) scheme runner pretty crazy. The silurid does have leap allowing him to do different things but he also costs almost twice its cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whodares said:

I'm not a big fan of Expert Cheater to be honest. I like his ace discarding too much to finish off something that survives the big gun!

You don't really have variation with your crew right now, so I would suggest getting the following:

- beckoner: lures models to her and can give out brilliance. She can also stop the opponent from taking Interact Actions within her LoS if they have Brilliance on them. Really strong!

-Lelu/Lilitu: You basicly buy this for Lilitu as her Lure has ca7 vs the ca6 from the Beckoner. She does cost 1SS more, so I would start with the Beckoner to keep it more in Lynch's theme.

-a beater like Teddy: On your list, you can get a lot of stuff done on this list, but bringing a Teddy puts a big bullseye on his head. He packs a serious punch and is not reliant on Brilliance in order to do so. Give him Retribution's Eye and you have a big beatstick that can ignore armor. Combine that with a Rising Sun Huggy (Hungering Darkness) and you will have 2 powerful beatsticks together with Lynch.

- A scheme runner such as Silurid: Your crew is fairly slow and you will have a hard time doing schemes like Breakthrough. A Silurid can jump out of engagements and is fairly annoying to take down.

Hope this helps!

I agree that depending on the strat and schemes bringing one of the great neverborn beaters can work well to have a triple threat (lynch, huggy, teddy/other beater).

It's always great to have several threats to make the opponent choose what to stop and capitalize on what he doesn't target. Lynch is a great master for this in my opinion as he brings huggy for free, so hiring teddy with an upgrade still leaves 38ss - lynch/huggy upgrades.

• Like 2

Hey!

Thanks for the advices, they help me a lot!

I'm not really sure about getting some Silurids, they "break" quite a lot with the thematic of the crew and they cost a lot of SS, so for the moment i'll pospone them.

Beckoners look good, but do you think they are a must just to lure some annoying models? Yeah, they can put Brilliance too, but I'm unsure if only one of them will be a great difference as I already can lure with Huggy... Maybe I'll proxy them with some Rotten Belles which I can get from a friend and test their "skills" before buying them :)

Scheme markers are my main worry, Terror Tots look good and are cheap, they are not part of the thematic crew either but some sacrifices must be done for the greater good...

Teddy looks like a massive beast on killing stuff, I'll get him shortly for sure, I was just trying to decide which one to get first, Teddy or Nekami (that model is awesome!)

Do you think maybe switching to a TT Jakob crew would give me more options which are worth considering?? I love the asian looking models ^^

Without wanting to get involved in a Lilitu / Beckoner debate (there is a recent thread that argued the pros and cons of each) I would advise to not under estimate the power / usefulness of a reliable lure. I think  with Malifaux it is a truism that you can in theory appreciate how useful a model / combo / ability is but it is not until you use it, or more likely have it used against you that you think 'ah, now I get it'. So yes, I think I can say that the option of a reliable lure is a must as an option - although you may not feel the truth of this until you get screwed over by an enemies lure.

You can use Huggy's Head my Voice for this role - but remember that every AP of Huggy's that you use for this is not an AP being used to eat face - important if you are using Huggy as a beater. You will also start thinking of more creative uses for Head My Voice than moving the opponents models about. Getting an enemy model to shoot there own master in the back of the head is always worth it for giggles when you can get it done. Also remember lure is a very useful trick for moving your own models about - saves henchmen / master AP for something more useful than just walking or setting up an unexpected charge with a beater that your opponent did not think was in range.

So yes, a good lure is a very useful option to have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, durrati said:

You will also start thinking of more creative uses for Head My Voice than moving the opponents models about. Getting an enemy model to shoot there own master in the back of the head is always worth it for giggles when you can get it done. Also remember lure is a very useful trick for moving your own models about - saves henchmen / master AP for something more useful than just walking or setting up an unexpected charge with a beater that your opponent did not think was in range.

I fullheartedly agree as I made the mistake of bunching up with my lady justice crew. The opponent played jakob lynch in ten thunders and used sensei yu to push huggy and make him fast. Then he simply used head my voice against the measly 5wp of the emissary to use his never bluff a six gun on half my crew (which has the trigger: after damaging target another model withing 4").

So yes, it is probably better to have another model use lure and even if you use head my voice on huggy there are so much more options.

I often run a single Beckoner with Lynch. Lure is an insane ability and they have the most reliable way to deal out brilliance which usually makes up for them being pricey and made of glass. 

As for scheme runners I pretty much always go with Terror Tots together with Lynch. Sprint just works really well with his ace ability. 

Graves is a model I have yet to see someone mention that I also really like. I don't always run him, but he rarely disappoints when I do + he is very thematic together with Lynch

14 hours ago, Joachim said:

I think for scheme runners that some terror tots would be better for lynch. A silurid is zippy fast but costs 7ss. For the same price lynch can bring illuminated which are great models.

A terror tot can abuse the ace in the hole ability to guarantee sprint if you have the ace of masks in hand, which makes a 4ss (?) scheme runner pretty crazy. The silurid does have leap allowing him to do different things but he also costs almost twice its cost.

I would put Gupps above Terror tots in almost all cases for scheme running (they leap on the same cards that the tot need to sprint, and whilst the tot can run faster than the gupp, it can't do as many interacts, or escape as well). The one reason you might prefer the tots is because they are cheaper to physically buy. 

In theme its much harder to pick a fast cheap model, but I think its something you will want to have access to sometimes. 

MY advice is play what you have, and see where you struggle. If you aren't hittign hard enough, then get a big beater, like Teddy or nekima. If you are out numbered, or struggle to score schemes then Tots/Gupps/Silurid/Insidious madness are things to look as

I didn't consider gupps, it will depend on the schemes. Leap can do different things than just 20" movement. 

I play zoraida and I don't own gupps, but I honestly didn't consider them. A silurid is 3ss more which is almost double, but they have a far more reliable leap, as I wouldn't want to have to cheat a mask every turn per gupp I want to leap. But it can be interesting with the spawn mother buffs now that wisps can help the spawn mother with hatching a gupp every turn.

To stay on topic, it are both cheap scheme runners that can do different things and lynch makes both of them far more reliable in getting their movement tricks off. That said, gupps are twice as expensive and you probably won't be using the spawn mother with lynch.

3 hours ago, Joachim said:

A silurid is 3ss more which is almost double, but they have a far more reliable leap, as I wouldn't want to have to cheat a mask every turn per gupp I want to leap.

Well similarly to Tots that's why Ace in the Hole is super good with Gupps. So I look at it more as they get all the upside of a Silurid (Silent, Perfect Camo) as a scheme runner, but they cost 3 less. And as a Lynch player you probably want to be clogging your 7ss slots with Illuminated anyway.

2 hours ago, exliontamer said:

Well similarly to Tots that's why Ace in the Hole is super good with Gupps. So I look at it more as they get all the upside of a Silurid (Silent, Perfect Camo) as a scheme runner, but they cost 3 less. And as a Lynch player you probably want to be clogging your 7ss slots with Illuminated anyway.

I agree, I was explaining why I prefer silurids, but that is indeed not the case for lynch.