Asian skin tones?

WWHSD

I'm not much of a painter but I'm trying to get reasonable looking paint jobs on my Malifaux minis. I don't mess around with a bunch of highlighting to layers. I throw on a base coat, slather in shading ink or minwax, and then maybe touch up a few spots that got too dark.

I usually use Army Painter Barbarian Flesh to paint skin. I am about start working on my Rail Crew and realized that I don't think I want them to look like a bunch of white guys dressed up for Halloween. I also want to avoid making them offensively yellowish. The only people that are yellow are suffering from jaundice or are living in Springfield.

What's a good (and low skill way) to make these models' skin look like it belongs on an asian character?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

you can do skin tones mixing together white, yellow and red tones in different %.

for example you can take for reference: titanium white / yellow ochre / red ochre

(ochres are "hot" colour, so they are pretty naturals for skin tones, warmed by blood flow).

when you have mixed the "basic mixture" you like (I suggest to take a base tone a bit darkest to the medium tone you desire for the skin)

for lights add some white

for shadow add a bit of red ochre or brown (for example you can use a van dyck brown)

add a small part of blue/black  if you need to desaturate the darkest shadows.

remember that:

- asian (male) skin generally has more red part than yellow.

- female are generally paled, so you can add white to desaturate your base skin colour.

as example this is my Lone Swordsman i painted some time ago, mixing theese 3 colours and adding a bit of brown when necessary.

• Like 2

Holy shit, that's a beautiful paint job. I don't understand how you guys get that level of detail when painting. I'm just happy when I manage to keep the color that I'm using for skin off of the armor and vice versa.

Thanks for the response. I'm just starting to mess around with mixing paints to get different colors so it's probably a little above my skill level right now but I'll give it a shot and see how things turn out.

- if you use acrylic (i think so) remember to temper your colour with enough water, to check this you can try to make some lines on paper.

- take some paint with the first third of your brush and then remove excess

- now paint using the extremity, if the colour is ok and the brush is not too old you should be able to make a very thin lines with any brush.

-a this point if you can control your paint on a plan surface, you can do also on a 3d surface.

• Like 1