Wong learning crew help?

green-n-dumb

Hello.
Playing Malifaux not for a long time and playing only Sommer.
After buying Wong box for lightning bugs i've decided to try some Wong magic but i dont even imagine what he needs to his crew.
Atm i have Sommer box, Wong box, Ophelia box, Brewmaster box, Pigapult, Burt and Gracie, Lucky Effigy, Merris and going to buy Mah Tucket box.

Can i make a playable 50ss team of those guys?
PS:dont like McTavish much ;\

The way I've been theory crafting him (1 game thus far more this weekend)

Wong w/ Ooo Glowy

Old Cranky (Soul Stone Regen and card cycle)

McTavish (Glowy target)

Burt w/ Dirty Cheater (Could be Secondary Glowy target)

Trixie

1-2 Lightning Bugs (More Scheme running and free ap if you blast on them)

leaves you 10-15 SS 

I like stuffed piglets and a taxidermist, you can really get them up the board (15 inches). Everyone keeps saying Swine Cursed, and I cant wait for them to comeout so I can test them. You can have effectively 3 Glowy Targets. 1 with regen and plus damage. Burt is a great Glowy target, but I feel McTavish is better because of him not being affected by Terrain when moving, and can get double positives on attack flips and at worst a straight flip on damage, at 14 inch range too, so he threatens more. Sammy and Merris are good options here, they both offer card cycle, Sammy has useful conditions with her attack, and Merris is a hella scheme runner, that can help with blast damage. Other self suficient models would work here, Rooster Riders, Franc etc.

I'm also interested in how others run wong

10 minutes ago, goat90 said:

Burt is a great Glowy target, but I feel McTavish is better

I prefer Burt tbh, because he essentially becomes Swift - you can choose the order of Start of Activation effects, so you can immediately heal the 1 damage you take from Reckless. Gracie is also a good target (although harder to utilise as well imo) because she can double tap the regeneration in order to cancel out the damage she takes from Rile Up.

Sammy is a nice option to give you a bit of control, and if you bring her you can have her hold Ooo Glowy due to Good Student, and give Wong his other Limited upgrade to get :+fates on randomisation and his pulse on Lightning Jump. I don't think she's worth bringing just for that, but she's a fairly easy model to justify in general, so it's a nice bonus if you're bringing her anyway.

I mean tbh I think Wong runs a great "allstars" crew where you just pick your favourites of Burt, Gracie, McTavish, Sammy, Trixiebelle & Francois, then add Slop Haulers, Lightning Bugs and Bayou Gremlins to taste. It's hard to make a bad crew with that method.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

I prefer Burt tbh, because he essentially becomes Swift - you can choose the order of Start of Activation effects, so you can immediately heal the 1 damage you take from Reckless. Gracie is also a good target (although harder to utilise as well imo) because she can double tap the regeneration in order to cancel out the damage she takes from Rile Up.

Sammy is a nice option to give you a bit of control, and if you bring her you can have her hold Ooo Glowy due to Good Student, and give Wong his other Limited upgrade to get :+fates on randomisation and his pulse on Lightning Jump. I don't think she's worth bringing just for that, but she's a fairly easy model to justify in general, so it's a nice bonus if you're bringing her anyway.

I mean tbh I think Wong runs a great "allstars" crew where you just pick your favourites of Burt, Gracie, McTavish, Sammy, Trixiebelle & Francois, then add Slop Haulers, Lightning Bugs and Bayou Gremlins to taste. It's hard to make a bad crew with that method.

Burt vs McTavish does come down to taste, and you're right on that. I prefer the raw damage that McT puts out among his other utility. But you said it, wong runs the allstars pretty well

I don't like McTavish either, so most of the time my Glowy model is Burt.

I use Gremlin's Luck on Wong, and it essentially guarantees he hits what he wants when shooting into engagements.  I'm a huge fan of Sammy LaCroix for the other limited upgrade, and Jinx does wonders in a lot of situations.

Merris is good in a Wong crew, because he can manipulate scheme markers to pretty good effect, and if you use her ability to stack the deck, you have some more control over hitting good :blast damage from Wong, or making sure you hit what you want if you don't give him Gremlin's Luck.

I typically bring Fingers or the First Mate for my scheme running needs, let my Magical model engage the dangerous enemy model, and let stuffed piglets try to engage groups of enemies.

The main thing to remember is dodging mistakes that people make.  The main thing I had to learn was worrying about hitting as many models as possible with his :blast and :pulse damage.  It was my main focus in a lot of early games with Wong, and it gave me quite a few losses.  If you can hit a main target and then :blast and/or :pulse into one other model, that's Wong doing his job.  He doesn't have to hit 4 models a shot to be effective, and that's the first big hurdle I had to get over to start being effective with Wong.

5 hours ago, goat90 said:

I like stuffed piglets and a taxidermist, you can really get them up the board (15 inches). Everyone keeps saying Swine Cursed, and I cant wait for them to comeout so I can test them. You can have effectively 3 Glowy Targets. 1 with regen and plus damage.

Quick Question.  I'm not particularly fluent in this interaction, but wouldn't all three models (Your glowey target and both swine-cursed) get the regen and the plus damage? 

58 minutes ago, Clement said:

Quick Question.  I'm not particularly fluent in this interaction, but wouldn't all three models (Your glowey target and both swine-cursed) get the regen and the plus damage? 

That is a good point, not 100% on that interaction, I dont have Ooo glowy in front of me, Ill get back to that when I can, unless someone else knows the answer

2 hours ago, goat90 said:

That is a good point, not 100% on that interaction, I dont have Ooo glowy in front of me, Ill get back to that when I can, unless someone else knows the answer

Models with the "Magical" condition gain the benefits. Swine Cursed specifically gain the Magical condition, presumably for that exact reason.

3 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Models with the "Magical" condition gain the benefits. Swine Cursed specifically gain the Magical condition, presumably for that exact reason.

Good to know.... So I took Wong today for a game against Titania. I took Wong with Gremlins Luck, Cranky, Sammy, Merris, Bert with Cheater, McTavish (Glowy), trixie, and a lightning bug.

His was Titania, Baby Kade, Teddy with 1000 faces, barbosa with 1k faces, Mr Tannen, the Tooth, Primordial Magic.

Strat was Headhunter

Schemes: Claim Jump, Frame for Murder, Covert Breakthrough, Hidden Trap,Dig their graves.

Lost 6-8 sammy summoning a stuffed piglet, from their scheme markers was the cutest thing ever, then Wong blew it up. killed Kade after some hurt on him already, Tooth and got Titania to 2 health before retaliation. McTavish died in a glory that is that stupid baby. Was a good hard fought battle

The strongest list I've being messing around recently with Wong was:

Wong + 5 Pool
 - Ooo Glowy (1)
 - Do Over (1)
Old Cranky (4)
McTavish (10)
Burt Jebsen (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Merris LaCroix (6)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Stuffed Piglet (2)
Stuffed Piglet (2)

Burt or trixie can be substituted by a taxidermist, but this list is brutal. Not sudjested in a frindely game :mellow: also, cranky could go for 2 extra stuffeds, or you could decide to go with 3ss cache for an extra stuffed. Still needs to play around this, but I'll do it more the moment swine are released :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EpicWaffle said:

The strongest list I've being messing around recently with Wong was:

Wong + 5 Pool
 - Ooo Glowy (1)
 - Do Over (1)
Old Cranky (4)
McTavish (10)
Burt Jebsen (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Merris LaCroix (6)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Swine-Cursed (7)
Stuffed Piglet (2)
Stuffed Piglet (2)

Burt or trixie can be substituted by a taxidermist, but this list is brutal. Not sudjested in a frindely game :mellow: also, cranky could go for 2 extra stuffeds, or you could decide to go with 3ss cache for an extra stuffed. Still needs to play around this, but I'll do it more the moment swine are released :)

Im digging this list and not far off from mine. I wish I could of had the stat cards for the Swine Cursed =(. Stuffed Pigs with Wong is the cutest thing Ive seen in a game in a long time

• Like 1

Wong was the second master I bought.  Personally, I usually use glowy mctavish due to with setup he can move very quickly and threaten far while ignoring with his gun cover/firing into melee.  If you are not into Mctavish, I also have put it Glowy on Gracie and Burt for the bonuses.  Also while Wong's gun is awesome, I find he runs schemes amazingly.  I realized early on that if you get wrapped up on Wongs ability to shoot, his efficiency will drop.  I look at it this way, being impactful to the game state  with Wong's AP and not to rely on flipping cards to make it happen make his awesome.  I feel like claim jump is his jam and he can easily drop 2 scheme markers in a turn with "Whats goes up".  Typically, the only upgrade I take with Wong is Ooooo glowy.  My list is usually is

Wong Ooo glowy

Old cranky

Mctavish DC (Dirty Cheater)

Trixibelle DC

Rooster Rider x2

Lightning Bug x2

Bayou Gremlin

Lightning Bugs are great IMO for doing whatever you need, they scheme run, do damage and have potential to heal.  For 5 stones, lightning bugs are great and I could easily switch out for a third lightning Bug.  Though I probably need to pick up Taxidermist boxset, because I think I would like to add stuffed piglets and a taxidermist to the list. 

I've also been using Do Over.

Essentially, the way you want to play Wong (if your opponent is grouped up) is to hit your own models with Lightning Jump.  You'll have the best chance of getting to severe damage, and that gives you your 5 :blast:blast:blast  and just ripping through enemy models.  When things go right for Wong (ha), he can do the same damage to targets surrounding his main target with his attacks.  3 from the blast, 2 from the pulse.  If you have the Emissary, then you'll do more damage to surrounding targets than your main target.  Our models can take it with all the healing we get.  I've been wanting to try using a Magical Whiskey Golem for this strategy, since it has a little more defensive ability and can easily heal itself.

With Gremlin's Luck on Wong, you'll nearly guarantee you're hitting what you want to hit.  With Do Over as well, that's a guarantee that your master gets 4 shots a turn if you want it.  

I've Run this list to 2 tournamnet wins and 2 decent finishes in UK. 

Wong, Ooo Glowy, Do Over

Old Cranky

Burt

Gracie, Saddle

Iron skeeter

swine cursed

Bayou gremlin x 2

stuffed piglet x3

12 activations (including reactive gracie), drop fast burt (5+ of tomes, you see 1 on average if you cranky, stone for cards and drop do over) and swine curse into opponents deployment zone turn 1. It is obnoxious. spoke about it on arcane reservoir 48. 

Wong is a glorified scheme runner scoring claim jump on his own every game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maca1066 said:

Wong is a glorified scheme runner scoring claim jump on his own every game.

This feels weird but it's definitely borne out by my experiences. I have rarely faced Wong but the most impactful game he ever had was simply running Claim Jump in a corner and being able to fend off anyone who came for him. The Glowy buff works so well to just passively make the rest of your crew stronger that you don't really need Wong's damage input.

It is fun to blast the entire enemy crew off the board though.

• Like 1

List I've been toying with is

Wong + Gremlin's luck + explosive solutions + do over

Old Cranky

Sammy + OOO Glowy

2x Swine Cursed

Taxidermist + Dirty Cheater (can be changed to Burt or Merris depending on schemes/strat)

2x stuffed pigs

Trixie

I put glowy on Sammy. While she doesn't hit as hard as burt/gracie ect I find she is pretty tanky (especially with regen) and just needing to hit to do 3 damage is pretty nice. 

Trixie runs schemes and lets me win init on crucial turns

Cranky helps with card cycling (especially near Sammy) and to help with my 3SS cache

Swine cursed I find are pretty nice. They can go down pretty easily though even with the regen and healing for changing. 

• Like 1

In general i feel like Wong can do a lot of schemes and strats well. Below is probably how i would personally run him now a days. 

Wong- Do Over, Ooo Glowy

2 Swine Crused

Burt- Dirty Cheater

Frank- Stiltz

3 Stuffed Piglets

This leaves 12 SS. Below are some of the things i'd use in those slots.

Trixie/DC/Stuffed/1SS

Taxi/DC/2 Stuffed

2 Lighting Bugs/Stuffed

where the 4th or 5th stuffed can be subbed for 2SS/and upgrade as needed. 

Given the amount of killiness i can even support a sammie choice even if i am not in love with her.

Mctavish  is also an option, i've just found glowy burt to really nice lately. That being said, nothing stops you from taking both (as burt is a great model even without glowy) and decide when the game starts who should be glowy. If there are no HTK/Armour things worth sniping with mctavish than give it to burt. They both have different break points they hit so keeping your options open is never bad. 

Wong kinda just does his thing, and doesnt rely on too much synergies with his crew (other than staying alive for glowy), so its really a matter of taking a bunch of good models (swines become near top tier with glowy) and running schemes with a bunch of 3Ap glass cannons.

• Like 2

I like Glowy Gracie a lot because the Regen totally cancels out the 2 damage from Rile Up, but I personally think Saddle is a waste of her upgrade slot. She rarely walks once she's in range for fighting ime and has a pretty poor Wk outside of that.

49 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

I like Glowy Gracie a lot because the Regen totally cancels out the 2 damage from Rile Up, but I personally think Saddle is a waste of her upgrade slot. She rarely walks once she's in range for fighting ime and has a pretty poor Wk outside of that.

I nearly always end up walking four times with her on the first turn and if she hauls, say, Wong along, that saves him three AP. I think it's worth the 1SS at that point. And since she is Unimpeded, she can haul Wong (or Francois or whoever) through a forest which can be beneficial on the right table. Finally, she can use the Saddle to haul your models out of melee sometimes which can be a very neat trick (placing models behind her very often gets them out of combat while she doesn't even need to try to Disengage).

True true. Dirty Cheater is probably less necessary with her with Wong since she gets regen. My experience with her is typically one walk, focus and then a charge on her second activation although to be fair I lose her earlier than I want to quite often so perhaps I am doing it wrong :P

13 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

True true. Dirty Cheater is probably less necessary with her with Wong since she gets regen. My experience with her is typically one walk, focus and then a charge on her second activation although to be fair I lose her earlier than I want to quite often so perhaps I am doing it wrong :P

For some reason it seems that I have been fighting in the opponent's deployment zone a lot lately so all my dudes tend to run full tilt first turn... :D 

• Like 1