Which out of faction models are a must buy?

cgyacht

Hi,

New Malifaux player but not new to tabletop mini games. I have purchased the books and am in the process of reading everything. I am getting ready to order the Ressers faction line and had basically two questions..

1. Which out of faction models are must haves for the  Ressers?

2. Which models in and out of faction should I purchase multiples of?    (Canine remains, Belles, Seishin, Hanged, Flesh construct I am pretty sure I need two of each box. After that I am not sure)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

1- I don't think there are any must have out of faction models for the faction as a whole. There might be a few options for certain masters (like performers for McMorning,) but nothing universal. 

2 I am not sure there is any box I would recommend you getting more than 1 of, unless you were certain you wanted to use that many of a model. (although I can see you wanting more than 1 canine remains and flesh construct so buying both mcMornings box and the boosters is not a bad idea). Hanged come in a box of 2 and are rare two, Seishin will get you the fill 5 if you Buy kirai and Datsuba. Some people do use more than 3 belles (the amount you get in seamus' box, or in the booster), but its quite rare. I wouldn't suggest starting your purchasing with more than 3 belles.  

Buying multiple boxes is a bad idea, except Flesh contstructs for McMourning, because one is not enough, and maybe canine remains, but I don't know. Seishin come in Datsue-Ba and Kirai boxes, so 5 should be enough. In the unlikely event of summoning the third hanged or shikome, fourth belle or fifth canine remain, you can just proxy in a friendly game or borrow some models for a tournament.

The only out-of faction model I use is Killjoy when I play Molly, and I field him very rarely. Recently I have purchased Johan for some condition removal + hitting power that Chiaki lacks of.

I agree with the people saying you shouldn't get more than one box of a model. The only models I used more than I have of are Flesh Constructs (it has happened that I summoned more than one and fielded one), Mindless Zombies (now I have 10, 5 are sometimes not enough if you play the Emissary and Maniacal Laugh), the Students out of the University box (especially Viscera, because I love it) and Belles/Doxies in one, very strange, game which I wouldn't count as relevant. In similarly irrelevant and unlikely event I had two Rogue Necromancies (Spare Parts), but if that happens I guess you've won anyways ;) 

Bear in mind that Shikome and Hanged are both Rare 2, it is easy to forget.

As for mercenaries - I love condition removal and I often play Johan instead of Chiaki, because they fulfill a different role. Killjoy is also funny and a Freikorps Trapper (or even 2) can add some unexpected shooting power to your lists.

1. Johan is rarely a bad choice, but from there its all master specific. Molly likes Killjoy and McMourning might want Performers. Tara Yan Lo might want models from Outcasts and 10 Thunders, but I've never played them (or against them).

2. It depends greatly on which masters you're looking to play, which upgrades you want to give them and how you'll be playing them. Seamus might want more than 3 Belles (but it would be rare), McMourning could very likely use more than 4 Canine Remains (1 from his box, 3 from the minion box) and definitely 1-2 additional Flesh Constructs, Nicodem (especially with the Emissary) might want 2 boxes of Mindless Zombies. You cant buy seperate Seishin, there's 2 in Kirais' box and 3 in Datsue Ba's box, speaking of the spirit ladies, 2 boxes of Gaki might be usefull.

A general piece of Malifaux purchasing advice: If a master box contains the minions your after, said masterbox is almost always a better buy than a seperate minion box. Some master boxes might even be worth buying even if you have the master, since you can sell the master, totem and henchmen online, as these arent sold seperately (this might not be true these days though, but there were a lot of gaps in 1st ed. players collections in the beginning of 2nd ed.).

Unless you really focus on it (be carefull not to forget your strategy and schemes) you wont be summoning all that much, so as others have said above: start with one of each :)