Malifaux Swamp Table progress

Sir Andersen

(Figured this should be in the proper subforum)

Working on a swamp table for my first set of Malifaux terrain. Have a beautiful Deepcut studios mat on the way, and making some terrain pieces to go with it.

Group shot of what I have so far (will be updated as that expands)

kO0z7Ed.jpg

Done so far:

Alligator Statue (Ht 1 blocking/hard cover/severe)

ApMBFI5.jpg

Serpent Statue (Ht 3 blocking/hard cover/impassible)

K0s2HZK.jpg

A standalone tree (Ht 5 blocking/hard cover/impassible)

sF91fIt.jpg

A 12" straight river section (Ht 0 severe)

Picture coming Soon(TM)

An oval pond/lake about 9x7" at the biggest points, which can either be used standalone or connected to rivers (Ht 0 severe) with a small "boat bridge" (Ht 1, possibly 2, vantage point)

Picture coming Soon(TM)

A forest of "reeds" about 8x4" (Ht 4 dense/soft cover/severe)

RlvI3AT.jpg

In the working:

Another 12" straight river section (Ht 0 severe) with a tree around midway (Ht 5 blocking/hard cover/impassible)

Have a small stack of wooden crates that just needs a decent paintjob and they'll go just fine on any Malifaux table (and speaking of that, I need to find a good way to paint Guild insignia for those)

Planned:

Raised swamp hut to optionally go in the middle of the pond (Ht ? blocking/hard cover/enclosed)

1 or 2 more standalone trees

45 degree river section (possibly 2)

"split" river section

1 or 2 free-standing "walkways" which can optionally be used as bridge across river sections

Stonework ruins, halfway sunk into the swamp (Ht 2-3-4, blocking/hard cover/climbable)

To go with the ruins: a few toppled pillars (Ht 1, blocking/hard cover)

Appropriately sized toy animals (snakes, gators and maybe some tentacles) to place on terrain pieces to indicate hazardous terrain.

Possible ideas:

Another, non-raised, swamp shack

Another "reed forest"

Guild drainage pump station, attempting to lower the swamp for exploitation purposes 

Sewage/drainage pipe coming in from off-table and ending in a pool of Ht 0, severe/hazardous sludge

"Hills" or more accurately just wide areas of shored up/reinforced "raised ground" (would basically just serve as a large area where the play area is raised 1", so technically vantage point and probably blocking/hard cover as well)

A small (smaller than Ht 1) hillock with a hole/tunnel leading into it, on a fairly wide base. Thinking a "monster lair" terrain piece that has no other effect than Hazardous.

Very happy to take some feedback/input, as well as ideas for other cool things that might be found in the Malifaux Bayou!

• Like 4

Update with today's newest project: partially sunken ruin.

Plan on painting/finishing it much the same as I have with the statues. There is no model for scale, but the apex of the doorway is 3". Deliberately made this a little oversized as these are supposed to be ancient Neverborn (or even Tyrant-era) ruins (and I'm not actully sure whether they're sinking into, or rising out of, the swamp), so whatever they used to be should easily be able to accomodate larger-than-human creatures such as mature Nephilim and whatever Killjoy was before he died and got cursed.

w4xiqdl.jpg

I also finished flocking on the lake/pond piece, a second, smaller, clump of reeds, AND my mat arrived. Really should have gotten some photos, but I thought about it too late and now the light is terrible. If I remember I'll try and get a coupled of snaps tomorrow.

Tried setting what I have on the map, and I would say that including this latest ruin I feel I have around 50-60% of the minimum I'd like for a table, so I have quite a ways to go. That said, I have placed an order for a couple of buildings (one to optionally go ON the pond, the other just on its own) and some walkways to serve as bridges. With that in hand I should be able to finish a few more river sections, another standalone tree or two, and I should have the bare minimum for a decent table. Also going to make a decision as to where I'll get some pillars for, just to add a little more "ancient ruins" to my swamp.

• Like 2

UPDATE:

Finished the half-sunken ruins

hkAkFgm.jpg

D5pZrVX.jpg

And also finally got some half-decent light on my table, so I could do a proper shot of the mat with what terrain I have so far on it

sSU2N2F.jpg

Pillars and buildings on the way. Next up for me is a few more river sections (at least another straight, and a couple of 45 degree ones) and maybe another tree.

Here's a WIP shot of an upcoming straight section combined with a tree:

N9QvEgu.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/13/2017 at 2:04 PM, Sir Andersen said:

(Figured this should be in the proper subforum)

Working on a swamp table for my first set of Malifaux terrain. Have a beautiful Deepcut studios mat on the way, and making some terrain pieces to go with it.

Group shot of what I have so far (will be updated as that expands)

kO0z7Ed.jpg

Done so far:

Alligator Statue (Ht 1 blocking/hard cover/severe)

ApMBFI5.jpg

Serpent Statue (Ht 3 blocking/hard cover/impassible)

K0s2HZK.jpg

A standalone tree (Ht 5 blocking/hard cover/impassible)

sF91fIt.jpg

A 12" straight river section (Ht 0 severe)

Picture coming Soon(TM)

An oval pond/lake about 9x7" at the biggest points, which can either be used standalone or connected to rivers (Ht 0 severe) with a small "boat bridge" (Ht 1, possibly 2, vantage point)

Picture coming Soon(TM)

A forest of "reeds" about 8x4" (Ht 4 dense/soft cover/severe)

RlvI3AT.jpg

In the working:

Another 12" straight river section (Ht 0 severe) with a tree around midway (Ht 5 blocking/hard cover/impassible)

Have a small stack of wooden crates that just needs a decent paintjob and they'll go just fine on any Malifaux table (and speaking of that, I need to find a good way to paint Guild insignia for those)

Planned:

Raised swamp hut to optionally go in the middle of the pond (Ht ? blocking/hard cover/enclosed)

1 or 2 more standalone trees

45 degree river section (possibly 2)

"split" river section

1 or 2 free-standing "walkways" which can optionally be used as bridge across river sections

Stonework ruins, halfway sunk into the swamp (Ht 2-3-4, blocking/hard cover/climbable)

To go with the ruins: a few toppled pillars (Ht 1, blocking/hard cover)

Appropriately sized toy animals (snakes, gators and maybe some tentacles) to place on terrain pieces to indicate hazardous terrain.

Possible ideas:

Another, non-raised, swamp shack

Another "reed forest"

Guild drainage pump station, attempting to lower the swamp for exploitation purposes 

Sewage/drainage pipe coming in from off-table and ending in a pool of Ht 0, severe/hazardous sludge

"Hills" or more accurately just wide areas of shored up/reinforced "raised ground" (would basically just serve as a large area where the play area is raised 1", so technically vantage point and probably blocking/hard cover as well)

A small (smaller than Ht 1) hillock with a hole/tunnel leading into it, on a fairly wide base. Thinking a "monster lair" terrain piece that has no other effect than Hazardous.

Very happy to take some feedback/input, as well as ideas for other cool things that might be found in the Malifaux Bayou!

How about whiskey Barrels Or a moon shine still

• 1 month later...

What about some inventors machinery overgrown by different plants and mosses after he was taken by the bajou? Maybe even put his skeleton up against the machine? this could be any size (think K/Nytera).

Good job on all the pieces, I like seeing things coming together.

• 2 months later...