An own 'Codex' for each Faction?!

Some players of our local Malifaux crew express the following wish:

-we want an own 'Codex' for each faction-

It's more clearly to find something (if you have just only one faction to play). And may be a little representative...

But may be a bit complicated (Mercenaries, Dual Faction, etc).

Does anybody out there like this?

Is there any hope for them??

Greetz

For me its an awful idea. The ideas of codexes suck as its hard to balance it out and expand the game. I really love the "each army gets something each book" way as noone is left behind while in 40k or WFB you could wait 3 years for any new stuff while some armies had 2 codexes inbetween.

• Like 8

Faction codexes don't fit with the Wyrd release system. After all the codex will be outdated within a year when a new book comes out.  And as you point out, it may not work very well with all the cross faction hiring options out there. I wouldn't buy 7 new books a year to get the 6-10 models added to each, and even if I only ran 1 faction and didn't care what the otehr factions got, I'd be annoyed at the outdatign of the book every year. 

If you had the PDFs then you could possibly manage to merge to create your own "codex" (Even if you have to do it by printing out the relevant pages and binding them together.)

And I could see it becoming more useful in this electronic age with Updating the PDF to the latest version, but as a Printed book, it wouldn't work. 

• Like 2

I expect the app to be something like that. A place where you can look up all the rules for all the models. Similar to Warroom. I hope we won't have to wait too long for that because I enjoy reading the rules and thinking up strategies and lists while I'm not at home. 

• 3 weeks later...

To echo others, problem with a codex is the moment a new wave is released, all the codexes are out of date.  So too many new purchases are required - it's not a system that's friendly to the community.  Wyrd want you to spend money on beautiful models, not a stupid number of books.  Unlike WH40K, many people play multiple factions too.

As with others, I'd like to see an app with all the cards.  Especially if they were printable to cover the erratas or new upgrades...... (those are still difficult to buy)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

What I'd like is to be able to see the stats and abilities of a model before I buy it. As it is now the options are to ask (2nd hand info) or check for copies online (illegal, I assume?) none of which I'm comfortable with.

actually there is a sort of codex for models, although its not faction specific. with as much as people pay for faction specific books in other games, your just better off buying each book for malifaux in the current edition. mainly because thats where you find all the info your looking for as it pertains to model stats.

im sure there are places you can buy a pdf/ebook of the current 2nd ed malifaux books. wargame vault comes to mind.

46 minutes ago, emiba said:

What I'd like is to be able to see the stats and abilities of a model before I buy it. As it is now the options are to ask (2nd hand info) or check for copies online (illegal, I assume?) none of which I'm comfortable with.

Buy the books. They've got all cards and upgrades for that wave.

3 minutes ago, -Loki- said:

Buy the books. They've got all cards and upgrades for that wave.

Do you honestly think it's reasonable to pay 3 (at the moment, soon 4) * $45 just to know which model you want to buy next?

I haven't got any issues buying the books either. But my situation is that I've got the core book, starter set and two master boxes. At this point I believe that more models give me more enjoyment of the game than more books.

The books are $28 digital, but it's still pretty expensive if you are coming in late and would prefer to spend at least some of your hobby budget on miniatures. But this may be solved once the app they have been developing is released as I got the impression that you after buying the app could see all stat cards in it. And it will surely be much cheaper than buying all the books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 8:28 PM, Freman said:

Head over to Wargame Vault, buy one of every card for your faction, fit them into a series of trading card sleeves (the kind the clip into a ringbinder) voila, a Codex.

it's as good an idea as any other. Plus it'd probably be cheaper than a 'proper' codex. I imagine it'd be a huge PITA to sort through every card in a single faction on wargame vault though.

1 hour ago, Kyris said:

it's as good an idea as any other. Plus it'd probably be cheaper than a 'proper' codex. I imagine it'd be a huge PITA to sort through every card in a single faction on wargame vault though.

They did a '2017 errata' bundle, you'd think they'd do 'faction wave' and 'full book book' bundles even if there's no discount.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, -Loki- said:

They did a '2017 errata' bundle, you'd think they'd do 'faction wave' and 'full book book' bundles even if there's no discount.

I did not see a 2017 errata bundle on their site. I agree about the faction or full book bundles. Having to search for individual cards in a list of 900+ cards in annoying.

I just bought the Tara box and was a bit upset to find that it didn't have updated cards in it. I was also a little annoyed that the cards can't be obtained from DrivethruRPG where I already have an account. $.50 a card seems a little steep when the card quality isn't on par with trading cards made today. It would be nice if they would release all the errata cards from an update all at once in a PDF that contained layout so they could be printed on cardstock with the fronts and backs matching up. Or so we could take them to a local print shop to have them professionally printed. I would gladly pay a dollar to get 9 errata cards printed at my local Office Depot.

You kind of have to look for the errata bundle, it doesn't come up on the page immediately. I think I found it under all Wyrd products, not under the individual cards section.

There was a PDF of the cards for download in the resources section, don't know how well it prints though. 

8 minutes ago, Bakunin said:

You kind of have to look for the errata bundle, it doesn't come up on the page immediately. I think I found it under all Wyrd products, not under the individual cards section.

There was a PDF of the cards for download in the resources section, don't know how well it prints though. 

The resource page does not have a download of all the cards as far as I can see. You have to bring each image up separately and then right click it to save it. The page says there is a free PDF of all errata cards, but I can't actually find it. I can only see the JPG images of the cards and it is just either the front or the back. There is not a file that contains all cards or even both sides of one card.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:24 AM, emiba said:

Do you honestly think it's reasonable to pay 3 (at the moment, soon 4) * $45 just to know which model you want to buy next?

as opposed to chaos codex, traitors hate and traitors legion then the scenario books for the formations.

If you don't want to the books get the arsenal decks they are basically a codex without the fluff

5 minutes ago, Richard matthews said:

If you don't want to the books get the arsenal decks they are basically a codex without the fluff

Problem with that is that wave 1 arsenal is out of production and there's never been a word about wave 3, 4 or 5 arsenals getting made.

On 29/07/2017 at 2:50 PM, spect_spidey said:

I did not see a 2017 errata bundle on their site. I agree about the faction or full book bundles. Having to search for individual cards in a list of 900+ cards in annoying.

I just bought the Tara box and was a bit upset to find that it didn't have updated cards in it. I was also a little annoyed that the cards can't be obtained from DrivethruRPG where I already have an account. $.50 a card seems a little steep when the card quality isn't on par with trading cards made today. It would be nice if they would release all the errata cards from an update all at once in a PDF that contained layout so they could be printed on cardstock with the fronts and backs matching up. Or so we could take them to a local print shop to have them professionally printed. I would gladly pay a dollar to get 9 errata cards printed at my local Office Depot.

I can't say what is happening this year, but so far every year that there has been errata'd cards, they have been availible in the next gencons card packs.

As such I'm hoping that the broken promise upgrade deck comes with the january errata cards. (Although I will say that previously you couldn't buy the cards individually, so it might not hold)

7 minutes ago, Richard matthews said:

as opposed to chaos codex, traitors hate and traitors legion then the scenario books for the formations.

Arsenal decks are out print, and as their intent was to cover people with 1st ed models, I doubt that you'll see any more of them. (which is why they only covered the first 2 books)