Arcanist Tournament Report

retnab

Hey all, so my LGS had a Malifaux tournament this weekend and I'm fairly happy with how I did overall so thought I'd share it with all of you!  It wasn't the largest event, only 8 players, but we had a good mix of regular players and some people I hadn't seen before come out for it as well.  The tournament had one of every non-10T faction show up, and two Gremlins and Neverborn player (I was the only Arcanist).

-----

Round one was Extraction with Standard Deployment.  I had only played against the Neverborn player once before at a previous tournament so I was going in not knowing what to expect for a drop.  I decided to play it safe and did an Academic Sandeep killcrew:

• Sandeep - Arcane Reservoir, To Behold Another World, Unaligned Sage
  • Valedictorian - Imbued Energies, Warding Runes
  • Shastar Vidiya Guard - Well Rehearsed
  • 3x Oxfordian Mages - Blood, Doom, Nemesis Wards, 3x Temporary Shielding
  • Arcane Effigy
  • Wind Gamin
  • Schemes: Leave Your Mark, Frame For Murder (Valedictorian)

My opponent decided to play a Pandora crew.  Surprisingly I don't have very much experience with Pandora, so all I really knew going in was she was going to wreck me with Wp duels.  His crew was:

• Pandora - Voices, Fears Given Forms, On Wings Of Darkness
  • Nekima - Thousand Faces
  • Doppleganger - Thousand Faces
  • Lilitu
  • Mr. Graves
  • Waldgeist
  • Primordial Magic
  • Schemes: Hunting Party, Frame For Murder (Mr. Graves)

The game went pretty well overall, ending 7-4 for the Arcanists.  Pandora was played extremely aggressively, getting all of my mages down to 1-2 wounds each and killing my Effigy quickly to get rid of my condition removal, but in return I got Pandora down to 2 wounds and only 2 stones left by the end of turn 1.  The rest of the game Pandora just beat on my crew and Paralyzed Sandeep twice before I managed to take her out.  The game ended with both of our masters dying, Pandora killed Valedictorian and I didn't kill Mr. Graves.  MVP for the Arcanists was definitely the Shastar Vidiya Guard, between getting Focused every turn for tossing a trash card, doing good damage to the enemy crew, and pushing friendly models out of Nekima and Pandora's auras, he was always helping out.  I'm learning more and more that the SVG is just an awesome model, I need to use it more.  Hilariously, the Primordial Magic went after one of my summoned Wind Gamin and nearly killed it!  My opponent said it was the first time he had seen the Primordial Magic not only hit something but do decent damage to it too.  A fun game overall.

-----

Round two was Guard the Stash with Flank deployment.  It was against my regular Gremlins player and the scheme pool was highly interact based.  I figured that he would drop Zipp and built a Kaeris crew to do schemes around Zipp's shenanigans:

• Kaeris - Blinding Flame, Grab & Drop
  • Carlos Vasquez - Practiced Productions, Stunt Double
  • Arcane Emissary - Flaming Conflux
  • Arcane Effigy
  • 2x Fire Gamin
  • 2x Large Arachnids
  • Schemes: Accusation!, Claim Jump

However, my opponent had other plans and surprised me with a Som'er crew:

• Som'er Teeth - Dirty Cheater, Liquid Bravery, Family Tree
  • Fingers - Stilts
  • Sami LaCroix - Encouragement
  • Gracie
  • Slop Hauler
  • 2x Bayou Gremlins
  • 2x Skeeters
  • Schemes: Tail 'Em, Recover Evidence

This game went less well for me, 6-9 Arcanists.  My crew just wasn't really built to deal with what my opponent could put out (although my two Fire Gamin did a good job of keeping the # of Bayou Gremlins down) and we both ended the game with only our Masters and 1-2 models each.  My MVP ended up being the Arcane Emissary, who killed 3 models on his own including Sami and held down one of the Stash Markers all game.  Both Masters lived (though Somer was down to 3 wounds on the last turn).  None of the schemes in the pool were good ones to go against Fingers with, but Claim Jump ended up being an especially bad pick for me as my opponent almost always outnumbered me and was able to get models near my Scheme Markers after I'd finished activating (not to mention Fingers doing his thing).  A hard game overall, but an interesting one.

-----

Round three was Reconnoiter with Close deployment.  I was against a Gremlins player I'd never played before so I had no idea what I was in for, and since I wasn't in the top table anymore I decided to have a bit of fun.  Very much not the ideal list, but I went with:

• Ironsides - Challenge the Crowd, Frontline Leadership, Seize the Day
  • The Captain - Patron's Blessing
  • Angelica - Practiced Productions
  • Arcane Emissary - Ironclad Conflux
  • Arcane Effigy
  • Soulstone Miner
  • Union Miner
  • Schemes: Leave Your Mark, Dig Their Graves

My opponent surprised me by also having a pretty wild list:

• Wong - Three Demon Bag, Ooh Glowy
  • Bert
  • Trixibelle
  • Survivor
  • Taxidermist
  • Iron Skeeter
  • 2x Lightning Bugs
  • Lovely Assistant
  • Schemes: Leave Your Mark, Hunting Party

This game ended up being a 5-5 draw, and that was primarily due to my MVP absolutely being Ironsides.  Turn 1, even after being Gremlin Lure'd away 8" made it into combat with the Survivor, a Lightning Bug, and the Lovely Assistant with Come Get Some up.  Turn 2 she killed all but the Survivor (who was at 2 wounds from a counterpunch), got Gremlin Lure'd away again and spent the rest of the game on support trying to pull his models onto the center lines and moving to deny Leave Your Mark on the last turn.  Both Masters survived, but both at 2 wounds.  I goofed up a bit and forgot to put my Soulstone Miner out at the end of turn 1 so it didn't see the board until turn 3, although it did kill the second Lightning Bug and survived a Bacon Bomb when it got there, so there's that.  An especially wild moment was a Glowy Bert managing to kill the Emissary in 2 shots (after it had also been Gremlin Lure'd 10" back turn 1), which was a bit awkward for me lol.  Definitely a fun game, though my list could absolutely have been improved!

-----

So at the end of the day I ended up with a WLD of 1/1/1, total VP earned of 18, and a VP differential of 0, getting 4th place and the most perfectly average of all scores :P It was very fun overall and it was nice to see some players I hadn't met before come out for it as well.  My regular Gremlins opponent who beat me in round 2 ended up winning the tournament, which always makes me feel less bad about a loss, lol.  I hope you've enjoyed this take on my tournament games!

• Like 6