Dhampir's terrain log - Quarantine zone + more to come

Dhampir

• 1 month later...

Dear diary, I have not been working on my quarantine table this month. But I did make a present for my wife's birthday, does it count as terrain building...?

76-8F8B0AB9-07B4-441D-B16F-9CA8332E3185-

77-A6F571AD-67B6-49DC-B2A4-713A49513F68-

78-4B5235BD-A6E9-4C85-A5AD-1FF0676C7329-

On a quarantine game board update, we had our first game on the board (in it's non finished state). It had a real street skirmish feel with models ducking in and out of doorways hugging the sides of the streets for cover. I had always planned on using scatter terrain to block LoS down the roads and this became very evident with long sight lines. But, the back alley ways provided lots of cover for sneaky scheme runners which added some interest to the game. Over all it was a lot of fun to play on, and with some tweaking is a great board.

• Like 6

So I think it's time for an update, January has been a busy time organising the Australian Malifaux Nationals, with the highlight (for me at least) was the creation of our custom Supply Wagons for use with Gaining Grounds 2018.
Here it is in it's raw form:
wagon-1.jpg

And here was one of the players painted and customised version:
gremlinWagon.jpg

And onto terrain...
The quarantine table took a bit of a step back while I frantically worked on a demo board to use at the Nationals, the idea being that I utilise the weatherboard Victorian house from my first post onto a small 18" x 18" table for use with Henchman hardcore/Demos.

80-demoBoard.jpg

There is still lots that I want to finish; more ground cover, quick reference in the grey set-up sections. The table had a game of Henchman hardcore on it and it worked really well, but there are some major bottle necks through the house that need to be addressed. So it's time to make some more doors and holes in the walls.

And lastly, I've gotten back to the quarantine board, staining of the wood elements begins:
79-wood-staining.jpg

• Like 5

When I was in Amsterdam, a really cool detail about the houses that stood out was the protruding metal hook anchored outside the houses at the highest point. The internal staircases are too narrow to fit furniture through, so the Dutch open their windows and use a rope and pulley to hoist furniture into the second or third storey, from street level. It'd be fun detail to see a load of heavy crates dangling precariously over the footpath with a block-and-tackle that's been tied off and abandoned mid-hoist. Also, Jack Daw may be able to supply some ideas about what else could be hung from such a hook in a city like Malifaux... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, emiba said:

The staining on the wood, is it just washes on balsa? It looks amazing! What paints are you using?

Combination of paddlepop sticks (coffee stirrer for all you statesiders) and balsa.

It's black acrylic with a small amount of either green or yellow ochre added to it and watered down to a very thin wash, then the wood is soaked in batches of the different washes so that they all have a different hue. This is all done before construction, then just mix them up and you build.

• 9 months later...

It's been some time since I updated my blog... Somehow personal life just seems to get in the way...
So here is a few little tidbits that I have been working on:

4DEEB724-3063-44EF-92BF-16526F6B674B.jpe

Teddy wants to go for a journey through time and space!

1D64B4F9-CDE7-46D6-87E9-D03A473F698F.jpe

Nobody told Teddy he would have to water the flowers... Now they are all gone.

29720404-1560-42F1-BEA9-F3DA67F2ACB8.jpe

Teddy wants his friends to sit with him, but now that he has hugged all of them they have all gone home.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 10:55 AM, emiba said:

Rereading the thread, I wanted to ask if expanded pvc has a different name or if there's a brand name or something? Would you find it in a regular hardware store (like Bunnings) or do you have to go to a specialty store?

Got mine from Bunnings, they have a few different sorts but they don't always stock them on the shelves so it may be a special order
https://www.bunnings.com.au/gunnersen-1220-x-810-x-3mm-pvc-expanded-foam_p0390217

https://www.bunnings.com.au/1200-x-900-x-3mm-black-pvc-foam-board-sheet_p1010816

https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-6mm-1200-x-600mm-white-pvc-foam-sheet_p1010817

• 5 months later...

With all that lovely scatter for Teddy to play with he needs somewhere to keep his fur dry when it rains. So I built him an Arboretum that he can grow flowers and play hide and seek in. Teddy is very happy now, you should see the smile on his face.

MG_8132.jpg

MG_8133.jpg

MG_8134.jpg

MG_8135.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...