Dhampir's terrain log - Quarantine zone + more to come

Dhampir

@Dhampir Thanks for the magnet shot - are they just superglued in place ? And is there no risk of them pulling each other out of their fixing point ? I ask because as well as following your progress I am also experimenting with foam board myself and was about to come up against how to split levels

Just now, Burnin' Coal said:

@Dhampir Thanks for the magnet shot - are they just superglued in place ? And is there no risk of them pulling each other out of their fixing point ? I ask because as well as following your progress I am also experimenting with foam board myself and was about to come up against how to split levels

@Burnin' Coal It's not foam board, it's Expanded PVC board. A lot tougher. No risk of them pulling out. If you look carefully in the photo of the piece laying on it's side you can see where i had to pry out a magnet that 'accidentally' got glued in backwards. Took quite a bit of effort to remove.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little bit of a delay in updates, it's been a slow couple of weeks for terrain building, but...

first draft of the warehouse doors  with working hinges. I'm not sure if I will make it a single door or double. The single door will make more LoS blocking terrain when it's open on the street so that is my preference for the moment.

49-IMG_3851.jpg

Fences painted up and weathered.  I skipped a step compared to the last ones and the weathering has turned out a bit different. I think I prefer the first ones :(

I've also discovered that lighter paint has a better effect than dark.

50-IMG_3852.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like forever since I was able to work on the board. A few updates:

Current status of the table...

51-IMG_4041.jpg

Construction on the warehouse doors begins
52-IMG_4031-e1506387340215.jpg

53-IMG_4047.jpg

I had to make a slight change in direction in regards to the flooring. Originally I was just going to have the buildings free standing, but as they lack any real mass and the terrain is prone to being bumped by hands reaching for models they needed to be more solid. To facilitate this the bases have been magnetised and to give them more of a sense of 'belonging' a new sub floor has been added directly to the board. This will continue to have rubble and floor boards added to it.
54-IMG_4030-e1506387316125.jpg

55-IMG_4029.jpg

Finally so  close-ups of the details as they sit primed ready for painting and weathering.
56-IMG_4043-e1506387423799.jpg

57-IMG_4045-e1506387369698.jpg

58-IMG_4046.jpg

59-IMG_4048-e1506387391569.jpg

Suitably shadow figure luring in the alley ways.

60-IMG_4049-e1506387406952.jpg

• Like 2

So I guess Id better get started on the last section of the board... Any guesses what it could be?

61-IMG_4088.jpg

I'll put the answer at the end of this post.

Additionally I decided to test how the ground floor rubble would look. It still needs some floor boards on those joists, but it's looking good.

62-IMG_4090-e1506576959394.jpg

63-IMG_4093-e1506576911905.jpg

And now for your answer:

64-IMG_4089.jpg

Train service shed.

• Like 4

@Paddywhack A 360 view of each table edge:

65-IMG_4100.jpg

66-IMG_4101.jpg

67-IMG_4102.jpg

68-IMG_4103.jpg

There's still a few open areas that can be filled with some scatter terrain (rubble piles, crates etc) as well as there will need to be some additional scatter to block the obvious sight lines down the roads. The doors of the warehouses help a little.

And finally, the floorboards get laid onto the rubble. Just needs some paint and weathering

69-IMG_4104.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, spafe said:

They look great! I'm surprised you didnt have the floor boards on a base though (or attached to the houses) so that you could move them around.

It'l lmake for an even more fantastic table mind, but does kinda lock you into one set up doesnt it?

The three (non-road) sections are removable so that they can be swapped out to vary the layout. I have intentions of doing just plain inserts that will give a flat empty board that can have various scatter pieces added. This was just meant to be a set 'show' layout but I also wanted the houses to be removable for easier storage.

@emiba I'll try and get a closer image, The weathering is just a mixture of different acrylic paints heavily watered down and applied randomly. Not really much method to it. The scattered bricks still need to be painted to match the buildings. They stand out a lot more in the photos but white bricks are just a bit to un natural.

• Like 1