10T Beaters - Best way to smash faces?

Hi All,

Other than Yasonouri who do you guys use to field the role of 'beater'. 

I have been messing around with Izamu and enjoyed his big old engagement and have recently found joy in Asami's Henchman and Ama No Zoko pairing off, but it is a big point sink for killing that benefits most from being near each other (and Asami if you want 1 AP charges)

I keep hearing good things about The Lone Swordsman but with it being highly trigger dependant not sure it is as useful.

Is there any better ones that i am missing? Have looked at a couple of Mercs (Taelor/Johan) but it is costly.

Is there any super builds for these guys or anything you have found to be super successful? I typically run each of my beaters with recalled training just to try and increase the efficency. 

Thoughts, Comments and Ideas welcome (I am typically running Wandering/Low Shenlong or Asami at the moment)

Call me lucky but Lone Swordsman never seems to disappoint me, though he tends to get hand priority on key turns. With his reactivate discarding two cards as well he can be hungry for cards. Good thing he proves to be worth those spent cards. Something I've also played around with is using Equality instead of recalled training. Lowers damage output but adds a little survivability/scheme utility. Particularly helpful if your chosen crew doesn't pack as much healing. I like it. But I like recalled training as well. I generally like to hire him alongside a more expensive and durable beater.

Something I've been playing around with lately is using multiple cheaper beaters. Lone Swordsman/RT and Burt Jebsen/RT are both 9ss and hit quite hard. Perhaps a bit 'glass cannon' approach but I've liked what they've done so far.

I wouldn't know about super builds. If I want my beaters to kill guys it's hard to go wrong with Fast and Recalled Training. They generally have some AP multiplication of their own going on so it's quite easy to get +4 attacks with :+fate/:+fate. Although previously mentioned Equality beater is a neat idea as well, if you want more tanky and less killy.

If you have a way to compensate for his slow movement - and 10T are usually pretty good at that - Kang can be quite an effective beater. 3/4/6 damage at ML 7, immunity to Horror and bonuses against Constructs and Undead (both of which apply to his nearby friends), and a 1ss upgrade (Hard Worker) that lets him (and his friends) ignore Armor and HtW at the cost of a card...all of these combine to make him a strong choice, especially against Ressers and some Arcanist/Guild crews.

Emissary often fills that role, with his double focus he'll often drop six damage and can cast into combats. No one hits quite like Yasunori does, he's our only true beater, the rest are meh after him. Mostly, I try to keep him alive long enough to kill a few models.

Yeah I do love Burt Jebsen in 10T. I mean I'm mainly a gremlin player anyway but giving him Fast and Recalled Training is just nasty*. And he's already a bargain for 7 stones so paying the extra 1 in merc tax really isn't that big a deal.

*although it's best with McCabe because he can hand out Regeneration to him. Same with Gracie actually.

• 2 weeks later...

How are you guys using Yasunori?  I usually keep him near Asami for the 1 AP charge pop recalled training and kill something.  After that I have trouble getting much work out of him.  I'm considering going back to Ama No Zako, lower Ml, but with her damage spread, durability and with more options (obey-like and hazardous terrain) I usually feel like I get a lot ore out of her.

He's a flying Ml6 beatstick with up to 4 3/4/5 attacks with a built in :+fate flip. You should be able to get use out of that with or without the 1 AP charge, with or without the Recalled Training.

The problem with Ama is as you pointed out the Ml5, making her far less consistent, and all of her abilities besides the normal attack require a suit (once more lessening her consistency). She's pretty much our weakest 9 SS henchman who I really only take because I like the model.

I used Ama at a Henchman Hard-core tournament recently and oh my word can she beat face! On a Recalled Training turn she will just delete a model. With a Terracotta Warrior she can have two RT turns...

She is great for taking on other hitters, which will often have df3-5 but high number of wounds.... ml5 with 3/5/7? Knife, meet Butter.

• Like 1

A part from Yasunori (yes is really good but not cheap)

I think Bettari is our best hitter: You can almost cheat on damage for 6, nice positioning trick, terrain ignoring charge, ignoring defensive triggers she can take-away master with the right hand. High threat from enemy. She's cheap and sacrificable (tradable). She do her best with shen-long and asami obviously, but I played her succesfully with Mei charging from a Porkchop.

Kang is also really good expecially vs resser/arcanis (+/+ bubble buff): ml 7 and 3weak, but need some support due his low Wk, he can also take the armor ignoring upgrade (hard worker).

Ama is also well playable with asami (can charge flying for 1ap in +2focus and easy cheat for 7 if you exceed def (low ml5) ).

For the same reason (+2Foc) Emissary with 6dmg Heavy (eventually with splash damage) is ok for a support role.

Concerning minions Dawn Serpent has over average attack stats, Jorogumo hits hard but ml5, and some 6 points nijas becomes missiles with McCabe Sword.

Due to recalled training and our fast/focus buff many mercenary as Jebsen, Lazarus, Joan, Anna works fine (but ok, we are just talking about TT in-faction model).

While GG2016 I gave many chances to Ototo and lone Swordsman: Ototo have to be in frenzy to do something and his wp4 is annoying for horror/manipulative check, I think it's too much for his cost. My Swordman always flips pretty bad (atleast 1 black joker) on his recalled "big" turn, in any case 2 cards for reactivate are resources extensive if you don't play Lynch.

Yasunori is the obvious heavy-weight beater. At least as our TT goes :D
I actually really like Mr. Graves as a beater - Ml6 2" 3/4/6 is very solid, and he has utility as a positioning/denial piece.
Kang and Ototo are more situational, and Fuhatsu can do some decent melee damage with his 0 upgrade.
I don't like Izamu as opposed to most, it seems - he is tough but folds like paper against models with armor penetration, which his damage is solid, but not superlative.
The Lone Swordsman can do wonders, is bulletproof and ignores Terrifying, but not having the suit and/or card to cheat with him is a pain.
Samurai could do decent damage -if- they hit the Critical strike trigger. At least they ignore Armor.
Hungering Darkness can dish out some pain with the :ram trigger, and still hits well against models with Brilliance.
Actually, if we can count Samurai as beater, then Illuminated definitely count as such as - if the target has Brilliance, they hit hardest in the faction.
Finally, Ama no Zako is a weird case - she has the best (default) damage in the faction, Flight and speed, but her Ml5 and needing suits for almost everything... Definitely not for everyone.
I never thought about using Burt Jebsen in the faction, but this is a nice idea - two cheaper beaters sounds like a great idea, I will probably test-run Graves + Lone Swordsman now :P

1 hour ago, Eclipse said:

I never thought about using Burt Jebsen in the faction, but this is a nice idea

For me it's autoinclusive with Shenlong. He can give to him push+fast and focus as 0 action = 4 AP + free focus, with 3 weak damage and ml 6. He also has a defensive trick to kill a near Shen's peon and get SS back. With recalled or equality (to enter and exit from htk) is still a cheaper option than many other TT stuff. He's also great as scheme runner.

• Like 3