Greentinsel

Expanding Rasputina

Hey fellow scholars and miners, I hope malifaux has been treating you all well today. I am looking to expand my rasputina crew and want to know what I should grab next. Just looking at getting two small boxes of some minions and a henchman or something like that.

I currently have access to the crew box, extra ice gamin, December acolytes, and essence of power.

23 minutes ago, MetaphoricDragn said:

Snow Storm, Ice Dancers, Silent Ones would fit your limits and work quite well for Tina.

You basically need these three to use Raspy as a solo master - there's no settling for just two here.

1) Ice Dancers are fast moving Scheme runners that can get across the board in a matter of a turn or two, and dodge attacks very well - which covers a gaping hole in Raspy's basic crew box.

2) Snowstorm moves your own crew around faster - especially Rasputina, saving her AP for things more important than a lousy 3" Walk. You could replace this with Arcane Emissary, who never counts as being engaged for purposes of Raspy's Ice Mirror ability, but I think Snowstorm is overall better.

3) Silent Ones are famous for being the only real source of heals for Arcanists, and in Frozen Heart crews can lay out heals even while attacking thanks to a trigger on their attack.

A lot of people also like Angelica and Blessed of December, and those two are also very good adds, but the three that MetaphoricDragn mentioned are the key adds for Rasputina.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that the thing the crew box lacks is mobility, I would say that 1 out of Ice dancers, Blessed or Snowstorm would be enough (to start with anyway). What a lot of people forget is that the Golem in the basic box is capable of throwing Gamin all over the table if you need speed. Its not something I'd often do, but when  starting out it can work quite well to fill a hole without having to spend money.

Other than that it would depend on how you play Rasputina and what you find you are lacking. 

Snowstorm and Emissary are both in theme hitters. You could consider wind gamin as a slightly out of theme mobility option. (I'd say especially useful if you like to ply Blaster Tina, as you can use them as targets to get your spells off,and then you can use their buried bodies to disengage tina if needed). 

Silent ones work well and fit the theme. 

After that you are looking outside theme, but I wouldn't let that stop me. Things like Howard or the cerberus can be very good at removing enemies, Molemen with added  Armour can make a great blasting point if you get it right, due to their ability to reduce damage to 0. Angelia can push stuff about. Carlos and cassandra are both very hard to remove, so it really depends on where you see your problems as to the best  way to expand. 

OK I think I'm going to grab the ice dancers and silent one boxes, but I will keep the other in mind. I'm just getting back to the game after a few long months. Thanks for your suggestions guys.

On 18/04/2017 at 11:02 PM, iamfanboy said:

2) Snowstorm moves your own crew around faster - especially Rasputina, saving her AP for things more important than a lousy 3" Walk. You could replace this with Arcane Emissary, who never counts as being engaged for purposes of Raspy's Ice Mirror ability, but I think Snowstorm is overall better.

How come the Emissary doesn't count as engaged for Ice Mirror?

2 hours ago, MSKmagic said:

How come the Emissary doesn't count as engaged for Ice Mirror?

The upgrade it gets to take with Rasputina gives it Frozen Heart and the Node ability which makes raspy not consider it engaged for the purposes of her abilities.

I personally feel like SnowStorm is totally optional. She's not a bad pick but I think the points could be better spent elsewhere. My top picks are the emissary and ice dancers. Beyond that you can't really go wrong with Acolytes or Silent Ones. 

3 hours ago, Jordon said:

I personally feel like SnowStorm is totally optional. She's not a bad pick but I think the points could be better spent elsewhere. My top picks are the emissary and ice dancers. Beyond that you can't really go wrong with Acolytes or Silent Ones. 

my friend plays snowstorm somewhat as a tanky beatstick just like you use Joss, but early game he uses it to place rasputina so her pitiful walk actions arent wasting precious AP :P

On 9/30/2017 at 11:00 AM, Jordon said:

Snowstorm often tends to do more damage in my Raspy games then the Emissary. If anything it the Bull is the optional piece. Its only real bonus is being a huge target for opponent's AP and still being able to cast in that turn that it lasts in combat, assuming they don't get a beater in to kill it in a single activation. Ice Dancers I really want to like but I also don't take Raspy into schemey crews and they don't normally work so well as Ice Mirrors because they are either too far away or not in the best position to shoot from.

What I like about the emissary is that is cannot get shutdown as a mirror so you can position it centrally and have such a huge threat on Raspy. It makes her Paralyze that much deadlier since it has such a short range and basically relies on mirrors in order to work. It also means she can use her (0) attack through the emissary which is something that couldn't happen before so it can in essence give her an additional attack. 

What I dislike about SnowStorm is his fragility. Bullet proof is way weaker than armour and so your mainly relying on Df6 and prevention flips to keep him alive. He's got a really great heal trigger but again it's a bit of a gamble and less reliable than I'd like. Against the right crew he will completely wreck, but other times he dies to a stiff breeze. I'd trade in bullet proof +3 for armour +1 any day of the week. 

20 hours ago, Jordon said:

What I like about the emissary is that is cannot get shutdown as a mirror so you can position it centrally and have such a huge threat on Raspy. It makes her Paralyze that much deadlier since it has such a short range and basically relies on mirrors in order to work. It also means she can use her (0) attack through the emissary which is something that couldn't happen before so it can in essence give her an additional attack. 

One thing, this atack still have an :ranged, so, if the Emissary is engaged Raspi can't shot to the enemy unless you randomize, it's right?

In many games ago I'm starting apreciate Armor of December, this push is so good, you don´t need activate Snow and pass activation with the oportunity for the enemy to engage again, and the Shattered Heart it's a too expensive upgrade.

In the other hand if you select Shattered Heart i think Snow is a MUST, because it´s the only can throw Raspi out of combat, and if you let Rapi engaged, you usually loss.

On 01/10/2017 at 7:25 PM, Jordon said:

What I dislike about SnowStorm is his fragility. Bullet proof is way weaker than armour and so your mainly relying on Df6 and prevention flips to keep him alive. He's got a really great heal trigger but again it's a bit of a gamble and less reliable than I'd like. Against the right crew he will completely wreck, but other times he dies to a stiff breeze. I'd trade in bullet proof +3 for armour +1 any day of the week. 

snowstorm is a woman :) or a man with boobs.

1 hour ago, Joachim said:

snowstorm is a woman :) or a man with boobs.

Snow Storm isn't one person. Snow Storm is a female Silent One named Snow and a Wendigo named Storm. I'm not sure if the Wendigo is male or female but it doesn't look like it has boobs.

For me

Essential

1. Ice Dancer because you really need some speed with Raspy, with the wave 5 upgrades other options have been opened but she still needs a fast scheme runner and with the FH synergy the Dancer is crucial.

Desirable

1. Blessed of December is a great FH beater with a useful combination of speed, durability and death dealing.  Not going to overwhelm in any one area but will never not be able to do something.
  2. December Acolyte because its simply such a good model for its points and has great cross over for any role.
  3. Snowstorm I understand some of the negatives but this is still a really useful model that is a vector changer in a Raspy crew, it really adds a range of options and if you are careful with it you can keep it alive for the critical turn and after that let an opponent burn valuable resources killing a model to dangerous to ignore.
  4. Silent One this models location on the list depends a great deal on the Raspy build and style of play you use, in some crews they border on essential in others it is simply a useful model but with certain redundancy, but for the healing alone it has a place.
  5. Arcane Emissary is again a model which has utility which is magnified or reduced depending on build, as an Ice Mirror that cannot easily be neutralized, is mobile and durable it is superb in certain builds otherwise it is an average beater.  I think Blessed is a more reliable beater and Snowstorm provides more flexibility and variety.  Having said that the Emissary is amazing in the right crew and outshines both easily and its not a niche build for Raspy, this models place really depends on you preferred play style.
  6. Arcane Effigy is the first non-FH model I look to, its cheap, can scheme, is durable for its cost and brings condition removal, honestly can't think of any game with any Arcanist master that this little construct does not receive consideration (even Marcus where I almost always go heavy beast theme).
  7. Mech Rider another non-FH piece is very expensive and a bit of a niche take but I still think the best original Rider (barring recent TT cheese) is damn useful, fast and despite some errata's has great potential in any Arcanist crew and IMO has extra potential with Raspy's book 5 upgrades particularly interested in this with a heavy Raspy summon list as the Mech Rider can summon Ice Gamin as well.
  8. Malifaux Raptor is not as overpowering in schemes as it used to be (which is fine because the practiced production trick was broken) so now it is simply a super inexpensive activation which can get anywhere on the board quickly and is very irritating when it arrives causing enough problems to need to be removed and with a high enough Df that it is surprisingly difficult to actually kill.  So yeah what's not to like.

That would largely be it.  Very heavy FH inclusion but then her models are really superb AND give her super synergy which can magnify in certain builds and is never not useful.

I will note that it would be worth considering getting extra Ice Gamin and maybe even a second Ice Golem given the possibility of a Raspy summon list, I suspect it is the rare game where you'll have 4+ Ice Gamin or 2+ Ice Golems on the field but it is not inconceivable and so I'm thinking it may be useful to have the models available if the summons list is something you plan.  Options seem to be 2nd Raspy box, LE transparent blue Raspy box, old metal Raspy box or mini's, secondary market mini's.  Hopefully Wyrd release a small box of Gamin and a separate Golem box, I'd love an alt-Golem.

5 hours ago, WWHSD said:

Snow Storm isn't one person. Snow Storm is a female Silent One named Snow and a Wendigo named Storm

I don't think Storm is a Wendigo, just takes the form of one right? He's actually just a spirit that didn't manage to full possess Snow. Iirc anyway.

On 3.10.2017 at 5:18 AM, BFOmega said:

I don't think Storm is a Wendigo, just takes the form of one right? He's actually just a spirit that didn't manage to full possess Snow. Iirc anyway.

From https://www.wyrd-games.net/arcanist-henchmen :

Snow Storm is the result of the Tyrant December’s attempt to take control of his vessel, Rasputina, who redirected the power into a Silent One. The power manifested into a giant wendigo named Storm. [...]

One thing, this atack still have an :ranged, so, if the Emissary is engaged Raspi can't shot to the enemy unless you randomize, it's right?

If only Emissary is standing there, with an enemy model, you don't need to randomize, since Emissary doesn't count as being engaged for Rasputinas abilities.

3 hours ago, Erik1978 said:

If only Emissary is standing there, with an enemy model, you don't need to randomize, since Emissary doesn't count as being engaged for Rasputinas abilities.

You aren't checking to see if the Emissary is engaged to determine whether or not the attack needs to randomize. You are checking to see if the target is engaged. The conflux upgrade doesn't do anything that would cause the target to become unengaged.

53 minutes ago, Patzer said:

1 Snowstorm 

2 Silent Ones

3 Ice Dancer 

4 Myranda / sabertooth cerberus 

5 molemen 

On the fifth day of December, the Ice Queen sent at me...

FIVE MOLEY MEN!

Four Saber Cerbs

Three Ice Dancers

Two Silent Ones

And a SnowStorm. To. Kill. Me.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1