The Seven Roles of Malifaux Models & How To Use Them

iamfanboy

First off, I want to say that I'm not all-knowing and I'm writing this to help out some friends who are having a bit of trouble with the difference between Malifaux and other wargames. If you want to offer some insight, I'd be glad to read it!

Second, I know that @Rathnard put an article similar to this in Wyrd #8, but it was... well... it's obsolete now, and I'm not here to heckle another man's writing, particularly when it served as a foundation for my own work. I just felt as though a more organized method of evaluating a model would help players understand what category it fits into and when to use them.

Anyway, off to the body of this thing!

THE SEVEN ROLES OF MALIFAUX MODELS AND HOW TO USE THEM

Games of Malifaux are won or lost on ignorance. Period. Luck can be a factor, as can skill, but when you see lopsided games that came down to 10-0 it was because one player possessed knowledge, and the other did not - and often, the difference between a 9-7 score can be attributed to an unfortunate moment of "WHAT?!"

Not knowing your opponent's models is understandable; there are nearly 300 models in the game, each one with unique niches and twists. But not knowing your OWN models - what they are capable of, what strategies and schemes that they can achieve for you - is asking for defeat. Some people pick up the knowledge in a try-and-die way, others fanatically study podcasts and wikis and battle reports, but neither are necessary if one actually looks at a card and evaluates it logically to see which of six roles a model fits into.

And I'm here to teach you how to do just that. Not only will it help you understand your own models, but using this method will let you quickly assess your opponent's models and note what roles they're likely to do... which will give you more knowledge of how the game will proceed.

Five of the roles will be superficially familiar to any MMORPG player - with twists just for Malifaux - but one is unique to the game. Those roles are Beater (Removes models from the table to win), Tank (Endures damage to win), Buffer (Modifies statistics, enemy or ally, to win), Controller (Causes extra movement to win), Summoner (Creates new bodies and more Action Points to win), Schemer (Generates extra Interacts to win), and Fodder (Outweighs activation order to win).

Many Malifaux models fit into several of these roles; for example, Colette can do almost all of them. She can attack four times in a round at a high Ml and decent damage track; is nearly impossible to kill if she's laid Scheme Markers properly and the opponent lacks an ability to bypass triggers; redistributes her own AP and generates Soulstones/Cards; moves friendly models around; summons Peons; and can benefit from her own aura as well as various triggers to generate additional Interacts and Scheme Markers. She's better at some of them than others, (only rarely will she take swings on models herself), but she CAN do them. Conversely, Sonnia Criid is ONLY a Ranged Beater - while she can absolutely delete enemy models, particularly grouped up ones, Sonnia struggles to do anything else aside from some highly circumstantial options on her upgrades.

Each role is suited for different categories of Victory Points (Schemes and Strats), which I'll briefly touch on before going into the nitty-gritty of how to evaluate a model. They are Placing, Removing, Interacting, and Mixed.

Placing VPs are earned by having models in specific locations - center of the board, edge of a table, quarter zone control, and so on. Beaters, Tanks, Controllers, and Summoners are all good for Placing VPs. Beaters remove scoring enemy models, Tanks stand their ground, Controllers move enemy and friendly models, and Summoners justĀ  outplace their opponent - and Fodder, summoned or not, can be important for simply outnumbering the enemy. Turf War and Take Prisoner are examples.

Removing VPs are all about taking models off the table (permanently!) to win - the only twist is whether it's you that wants to remove the model, or your opponent. It's both sides of the same coin. Beaters and Tanks are REQUIRED for this one, all models but Schemers have a role to play in these VPs. Frame For Murder andĀ  are examples.

Interacting VPs are earned by that unlisted action, Interact. Schemers and Summoners are the go-to models for Interacting, but Controllers can move models to more easily use Interacts, and Significant Fodder can simply bury the opponent in cheap AP to win.

Mixed VPs require two different categories above, and are more common in the Gaining Grounds documents. Headhunter, for example, requires Beaters to kill, but also likes Schemers to Interact with the dropped heads. Undercover Entourage is both Placement and Removing (or the lack thereof).

When you flip over the game's Scheme and Strat mix, mentally divvy them into the above categories and see if there is any overlap that might make your selection of models easier - if you have Reckoning, Make Them Suffer, and Assassinate in the pool, it's easy to see how you can earn multiple VPs from well-chosen Beaters. Reconnoiter and Outflank, Line in the Sand and Squatter's Rights... all similar VP conditions that certain models could easily dominate.

Now that we've loosely defined which VPs go with which model roles, let's explain how to DEFINE a model's role. While this is meant as a guideline and there exist exceptions to each role, the vast majority of Malifaux models are covered herein.

BEATER

Beaters are raw damage dealers. and as such are generally necessary in almost any build - yes, VPs may depend on scoring Interactions and placing, but removing enemy models can deny opponent VPs, which is just as important as scoring them yourself. Defining a Beater is usually as simple as running the raw numbers. Do they:

1) Have at least one attacking stat at 6+ which they can use often?

2) Deal at least 6 damage total minimum in one activation, including Poison, Burning, free and normal Actions like Flurry and Sidearm, or Triggers?

3) Ignore any Tank abilities such as Armor, Hard to Wound, or Triggers?

If at least two of the above apply, the model is a Beater. Like most wargames, Beaters fall into Ranged and Melee categories, but unlike most wargames they also may target different defensive stats, which gives a further level of definition. The reason for #3 is that some models with those may not deal a great deal of damage overall, but when an opponent has a hefty Tank on the field they are invaluable for removing said Tank. A lot of models, especially Masters, qualify for the Beater category, and in a pinch can do just that - but the difference between a Master that could deal damage or one which is dedicated to dealing damage is usually obvious and defined by how many other roles they fit into.

My personal notation for these tends to go "Sonnia Criid Beater Ranged Wp" but you may prefer something different.

TANK

While nothing in Malifaux is invincible, Tanks are defined as models that require a great deal of AP to remove. This requires real calculus - is removing said Tank necessary for your VPs, or can you ignore it? Tanks rely on more than just raw Df/Wp and Wd to survive; the other abilities on the front and back of their cards are just as important if not more so. When evaluating a model to see if it's a Tank, look at the following:

1) Does it have at least one Defensive stat at 6+ and more than 8 Wounds?

2) Does it have reliable defensive Triggers with the necessary Suit built into one stat?

3) Can it force passive duels just to target it, such as Horror or Manipulative?

4) Does it have any kind of reliable self-healing, either through a Tactical Action or Regeneration? Suited Triggers on attacks shouldn't be counted unless the Suit is built in.

5) Does it have damage reduction, through Abilities like Armor and Hard to Kill, or Actions like Bat Eyelashes or Southern Charm? Count each one seperately.

Usually, if at least three of those apply, then it's a tank - and the more that apply, the better. Exceptions can be made for exceptionally strong stats and/or upgrades; as mentioned, Colette is ridiculously hard to kill if she's been dropping Scheme Markers, and Pandora with The Box Opens is almost not worth targeting with anything less than an El Mayor'ed Perdita.

BUFFER

I place Buffers and Debuffers in the same category, because they do essentially the same thing: Modify printed or unprinted statistics - amount of AP, cards flipped and in hand, or Soulstones in Cache - to help you score VPs. If it helps you to divide them into two separate categories, then do so, but sometimes in Malifaux an Ability or Action (such as Zoraida's Obey) is both a buff and debuff. Defining a Buffer is tricky but possible. Can it:

1) Redistribute its own AP to other models?

2) Generate or restrict certain Actions?

3) Modify printed Statistics, either through Abilities or Actions?

4) Modify number of cards flipped?

5) Add or remove Suits on duels?

6) Modify unprinted statistics - AP generated (lowering or raising), Soulstones in cache, or cards in hand?

7) Change the number of Wounds dealt?

8) Change the order of activation?

9) Restore lost Wounds to any injured model, not just itself?

10) Remove Conditions?

Any of these means it buffs, but only models with at least two or three could be called Buffers. Oftentimes they're the linchpin of a list, the combo piece that other models rely upon - and since few of them are Tanks, it means that special care should be taken in identifying and removing Buffer models. The last two numbers, #9 and #10, are especially important, as healing models are rare in Malifaux.

CONTROLLER

Superficially, Controllers are similar to Buffers, but with a major difference - whereas the Buffer focuses on the numbers OFF the table (stats and cards), Controllers focus on what's ON the table and where it is. There definitely is overlap between the two; Zoraida's Obey can be used as a buff (to create extra attacks) or as control (to move models around the table via their own Walk actions). However, the number of models with Control abilities outstrips the number of models with Buff abilities and do something else entirely, so it's helpful to have them in their own category.

Defining Controllers seems simple, but has a few twists. Does the model:

1) Redistribute its own AP?

2) Generate any inches of movement for friendlies?

3) Generate any Terrain?

4) Remove models from the table via Burying?

5) Generate extra movement for enemies?

While any model with these abilities count as Controllers, and the more the better, it's only the last point, #5, which defines the strongest Controllers - moving your own models is great, but moving enemy models is fantastic.

SUMMONER

Summoners create extra bodies and more AP, simple as that. The advantage of Summoners is that they trade one of their AP for multiple AP over the course of the game - if the Dreamer summons a Lilitu that has three total AP and then takes two AP to kill, then the Dreamer player is up a total of (3+2-1) 4 AP. That is incredibly important, and good players behind a Summoner can control the entire course of a game.

However, while there are a lot of models which can summon, they are not equally distributed, and many of them are bound by tight restrictions that make them nearly useless. Sonnia Criid's Reincarnation Upgrade is hardly worth planning a game around, whereas Nicodem's entire game is about placing models.

The most important factor is whether the Summoner can generate Significant models. Summoning such models can make many Schemes and several Strats almost trivial to achieve if used well. However, even Insignificant summons can weight a game's activation order in a short time, and help other models achieve the VP condition.

Almost all the worthwhile Summoners are Masters, but there exist exceptions - the Mechanical Rider is probably one of the best models in the game partly because of its ability to generate Significant models.

SCHEMER

Schemers are unique to Malifaux as a wargame. While any Significant model can spend their precious AP to Interact, Schemers are defined as models which can generate extra AP that allows it to use Interacts and still perform other Actions - moving, attacking, and so on. When evaluating a model to see if it's a good Schemer, check for the following:

1) Can it move at least 4" and still have two AP to Interact, or 7" and still have one AP?

2) Can it generate Scheme Markers through any Triggers, Abilities, or Actions?

3) Can it move or remove Scheme Markers?

#1 is important because that's the distance between two Scheme Markers, meaning it can lay out most of an entire Scheme's needed output in one turn. #3 is important is because removing an opponent's Scheme Markers prevents them from scoring, which is just as good as scoring themselves - and often, models which remove Scheme Markers do so in exchange for benefits, such as the Guild's Executioner.

Taking a Schemer is not always necessary, even if there is a solid Interact Scheme in the pool; Controllers and Buffers can turn any model into a highly effective Schemer, and Summoners can place Significant models right where they need to be in order to Interact. In fact, not choosing one can be a solid misdirection about which Schemes you've selected. On the other hand, it's hard to argue with a Silurid's or Necropunk's ability to catapult itself across the board and do its job.

FODDER

Fodder models are, in essence, disposable. Fodder is vital for activation control; if you have 10 models and your opponent has 7, that lets you stack 3 models in a row after theirs. Fodder also usually have few options and are obvious in what they're doing, meaning that little information is revealed if you activate Fodder early in the turn, compared to models with lots of options that you may wish to hold back and respond to the opponent's moves. When checking the card for its Fodder potential, look at:

1) Is it 4 Soulstones or under?

2) Is it Significant?

3) Can it be Summoned?

4) When it is removed from the table, does it have any special effects?

If the answer to ANY of these is 'yes', then it's Fodder - but the more yeses, the better the model is. Most of the time, Fodder dies quickly, but if activated quickly it can still do its job - especially if that job is dropping a Scheme Marker or two. Sometimes, fodder even WANTS to die, and can thus serve as further activation control: Your opponent has to target this 2ss model before it Bacon Bombs all over his face, or your opponent doesn't want to target the Performer because Colette just finished activating and is within 2".

IN CONCLUSION

There's a long standing Sun Tzu quote about knowing yourself and your enemy and how it influences victory. I won't repeat it; if you've read it you'll skim over it and if you haven't go look it up yourself. Besides, this entire post is a paean to that quote!

Using this method is very, very simple; most experienced players have arrived at a method much like this one for judging models. This is just an explanation of the process and how to do it yourself in a highly organized fashion.

I hope that reading this helps you play the game. Malifaux is a game with outstanding rules and wonderful models; but it is also crowded with highly complicated models and difficult to understand interactions. Simplifying each down to a broad category has helped me as a player, and I would like it to do the same for you.

• Like 8

Interresting read, I agree with a lot of your points.

I do have a couple of points though.

I don't really get why you put frame for murder under killing schemes. Sure it's about a model dying, but it's a model you want to die and avoid killing, so I'd not say it requires a beater (unless you put it on a beater and launch it at the opponent to force him to kill it) .

I think you should mention lynchpin models. Is there a model with an action or ability that the entire crew revolves around and who would make the crew a lot less effective if it dies. If so do you have some way of keeping it alive or can you take an extra?

A lawyer or guild sergeant in a lucius crew is a good example. If you only have one to give positive flip to his horror duels you can't afford to loose it as it would make your extra actions either risky or a drain on your hand.

Also I have to agree with nikodemus. If you put a scheme down and then push 3" in the opposite direction, you can put down another as there's more than 4" between the two schemes, because a base is more than 1" wide. (Base size doesn't matter as a 50mm base is still just under 2" so you still need 3" push).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

You can't Interact scheme markers within 4'' of other friendly scheme markers (page 39 small rulebook). 6'' movement is overkill in that regard.

Ā The move 6 and still have 2AP is still a useful thing to watch out for in Stake a Claim and that's definitely a mark of a good schemer but not necessarily something you always need.

Ā 

Also, @iamfanboy I think your metrics tend to swing a little too much towards high cost models and a big hole imo is activation control. For example, a Bayou Gremlin is generally considered a great schemer because it is so cheap. It doesn't meet any of your scheme metrics but it brings a lot to the table by just being so expendable and still able to perform schemes. In a similar vein I don't think models like Stuffed Piglets really fit any of your six roles, maybe control by name but not really by any of your metrics, yet they're a super useful model to bring to the point where tryharding Gremlin players often have to find a reason not to bring at least a couple. I think a seventh "chaff" role would actually be weirdly beneficial, where a good chaff model is cheap and can still achieve useful things despite that, e.g. Rats & Stuffed Piggies for activation control.

I also think you could probably merge Summoner into Buffer - one of your big ones under Buffer is things like Obey or Prompt to redistribute AP, and your main point about summoners spending one of their AP now for several later is a pretty good conceptualisation but I think that makes it fit under redistribution of AP. Especially given many summoners typically also have crew support e.g. Nicodem to make stuff Fast or heal it, Som'er to hand out suits etc.

• Like 4

First off, thank you guys. The last couple of days I've posted on some other forums and been completely ignored. Paranoid delusions and all that, now cured thanks to you.

@Nikodemus and @Angelshard, I agree with you, after looking at it on the table. 4" is enough even for Stake a Claim, because a 30mm base is more than wide enough to drop Scheme Marker - move 4" - drop Scheme Marker directly opposite the first. 6" is a safety margin, and I was looking at the Necropunk specifically when I created that metric, but doing so also excludes other good models.

Schemer also needs another metric: Can it ignore any part of the Interact rules? Specifically Don't Mind Me, but also placing Scheme Markers closer together than 4", or being able to place Scheme Markers in places other than base contact. Sigh, nothing is ever perfect in a first draft...

Ā 

Angelshard, Schemes like Bodyguard and Undercover Entourage are considered Killing VPs because Killing VPs are all about removing and keeping models on the table - if one player wants them gone, the other player wants them to stay. The only difference is which side of the table wants what, and whether it's about denying or earning VPs thereby. They're two sides of the same coin.

I need to clarify that point, maybe rename the category to Removing VPs. A while ago I thought that there should be two separate categories, like you, but then I realized that they were the same thing, only flipped backwards.

Ā 

@Dogmantra... *looks at Bayou Gremlin* It can move 10" and generate 1 AP for Interacts with Drunk & Reckless, which is one of the reasons I picked that specific number - along with Terror Tots and Crooligans (albeit the latter moves 5", Interacts, and then teleports 5"). Where my metric DOES fail is on Insidious Madnesses. 4" with 2 AP and 7" with 1 AP are, I think, the new numbers when I revise the document.

Chaff is definitely a solid idea, but what else should be in there? What should the defining criteria be? Extremely cheap models (4ss and under)? Influences the boardstate through sacrificing itself? Controls activation order through extra bodies?

Yes, this has potential.

There are other rare excluded models as well - Rooster Riders fall through the cracks of the system (though I suppose they could Beak, Beak + Stampede into Beak, Beak for Beater, and 7" Walk + 1 AP makes them Scheme well), Void Wretches...

Ah! Controller should also have a notation about "Removing models from the game," that would put Void Wretches in the proper category, I think - and give Death Marshals the dual category of Beater and Controller, which is what they do. <_< Frigging thing, boxing The Captain for three turns of Henchman Hardcore...

I also really want to split Healer into another category. Removing Conditions or recovering Wounds is rare, but important enough that it should be taken special note of... and then I keep deciding against it. And thinking it should have its own category. And deciding against it. And then...

However, IĀ  EMPHATICALLY disagree that Summoner and Buffer are the same thing, and any MMO player would agree - and that was one of the main reasons I disagreed with @Rathnard's original article in the first place. If newly created models are counted as an extension of the Summoner and it's a Tank thing because it means more Wounds the opponent has to get through (as was his original point), then it's also a Beater thing because the new models can deal damage... and a Schemer thing because of additional AP... and a Control thing because of influencing the boardstate through placement... and a Buff thing because of additional AP and activation control... while being none of those exactly, because the new model is not the Summoner. Does the Mechanical Rider hold a table quarter for Interference, or does the Metal Gamin she dropped? Does the Dreamer Lure a model in for Pounces, or does Lilitu? Does Colette give the + to flips, or the Mechanical Dove?

...And so on.

Today I'm off to visit my mom in the hospital (nothing serious, they're keeping her there for observation), and then it's my weekly Malifaux day, so I may not get back to this until 12 hours from now.

17 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

What the bollocks, they told me that Stake a Claim, move 6", and Stake a Claim again would remove my first claim marker?! And I was right and it wouldn't?!?!?! That is extra sauce upon the soft-serve sundae of that particular game, for sure. :angry:

No, they were right. It works differently from scheme markers. You remove all claim markers from within 6" of yourself, not the marker you drop. You'd need a wk of 7 to be able to drop a marker, walk once and drop another one because if you move exactly 6 you will still be within 6" of the old one.

• Like 6

I can see condyion removal and healing as it's own, but I would keep it under buffer, even though condition removal is something I'm extremely wary of not bringing, I really hate not bring able to remove a critical paralyze or a blight stack or whatever it is that's gonna mess me up.

Still it's just s buff/debuff function and like heal its something you can get by without. Especially as neverborn where my only real options are johan (whom I don't own) or scion. (Emisarry too, bbut then you switch condition for hp loss).

Ā 

As for chaff I'd say the requirement is that you have some cheap extra activations you can buff up. Or really cheap blockers with htk or armour.

I think collodi's marionettes are a great example of chaff.

Marionettes aren't impressive in themselves, but with arcane effigy an a wicked doll close by they can get a damage track of 2/3/5 mi 5 with poison and burning one, that's really good for 3ss.Ā 

Adittionally, if you have a weaver you can shoot one 20" up the table in one go for a scheme next turn.

I wish I could find an '-er' word for the Chaff, just to fit with the aesthetic of the other categories. Fodder!Ā  It also gives us a category to place "After dying, x" models; it's hard to think of Pere Ravage as anything other than a mobile bomb.

I think the criteria for the Fodder category is:

1) Is it 4 Soulstones or under?

2) Is it Significant?

3) Can it be Summoned?

4) When it is removed from the table, does it have any special effects?

If the answer to ANY of these is 'yes', then it's Fodder - but the more yeses, the better the model is. Fodder is vital for activation control; if you have 10 models and your opponent has 7, that lets you stack 3 models in a row after theirs. Most of the time, Fodder dies quickly, but if activated quickly it can still do its job - especially if that job is dropping a Scheme Marker or two. Fodder also usually have few options and are obvious in what they're doing, meaning that little information is revealed if you activate Fodder early in the turn, compared to models with lots of options that you may wish to hold back and respond to the opponent's moves. Sometimes, fodder even WANTS to die, and can thus serve as further activation control: Your opponent has to target this 2ss model before it Bacon Bombs all over his face, or your opponent doesn't want to target the Performer because Colette just finished activating and is within 2".

Ā 

Does that seem all right for an entry? I kind of like seven anyway, it has a pleasant asymmetry and matches the Malifaux faction number.

On 4/15/2017 at 11:18 AM, Gnomezilla said:

What the bollocks, they told me that Stake a Claim, move 6", and Stake a Claim again would remove my first claim marker?! And I was right and it wouldn't?!?!?! That is extra sauce upon the soft-serve sundae of that particular game, for sure. :angry:

Bloody hell, sorry, I meant "Line in the Sand" and "Claim Jump" - somehow the two got conflated in my head into one name that already existed. I blame the pneumonia on top of allergies.

I made changes. Seven roles, obviously, but I switched "Killing" to "Removing" - and let's face it, that would deserve ANOTHER article, and I'm sure it exists somewhere - and expanded a bit on the Buffer section. I forgot about removing Conditions, can you believe that? Changed the criteria for Schemer, and added a notation about burying models... not that a whole lot of models can actually DO that (mostly Tara's stuff?) but still, needs to be noted.

I think the Tank and Beater requirements are statedĀ a bit categoricalĀ with their minimums. E.g. the Rail Golem would not qualify as a Beater as its main attack is skill 5 (withĀ :+fate), and it doesn't ignore any defensive abilities. On the Tank side Joss only fulfil point 1 and 5 (disqualifying him from Tanking), Howard meets points 1, 3, 5, yet I find that Joss generally last longer than Howard.

1 hour ago, Bengt said:

I think the Tank and Beater requirements are statedĀ a bit categoricalĀ with their minimums. E.g. the Rail Golem would not qualify as a Beater as its main attack is skill 5 (withĀ :+fate), and it doesn't ignore any defensive abilities. On the Tank side Joss only fulfil point 1 and 5 (disqualifying him from Tanking), Howard meets points 1, 3, 5, yet I find that Joss generally last longer than Howard.

Oh, darnit. I forgot to write that I count each type of damage reduction. Should Soulstone use be counted as well? Because that can make some models mighty tanky with damage reduction or buying :+fate on Defense flips.

And you're right about the Rail Golem and some other models, like Sue, don't count either... Should it be all the way down to 5 with a :+fate? Or just 5? Because 4 is unreliable, but 5 by itself I feel is borderline at best. 5:+fate would be acceptable.

1 hour ago, iamfanboy said:

And you're right about the Rail Golem and some other models, like Sue, don't count either... Should it be all the way down to 5 with a :+fate? Or just 5? Because 4 is unreliable, but 5 by itself I feel is borderline at best. 5:+fate would be acceptable.

Do theĀ categories need to have checklists? It's hard to define the roles so rigidly.

• Like 1

On 2017-04-15 at 10:47 AM, Angelshard said:

I think you should mention lynchpin models. Is there a model with an action or ability that the entire crew revolves around and who would make the crew a lot less effective if it dies. If so do you have some way of keeping it alive or can you take an extra?

A lawyer or guild sergeant in a lucius crew is a good example. If you only have one to give positive flip to his horror duels you can't afford to loose it as it would make your extra actions either risky or a drain on your hand.

Ā 

Lynchpin isn't a role that a model has inherently, it's one you make in your crew by skewing your hiring, so it doesn't fit with the other categories here in my opinion.

In your particular exampleĀ Lucius has his own buff built in and should really not use his horror duels too often anyway. It's rarely good to have your master spending too many ap on walking and his other action gives two ap to a minion without the risk of paralyze so I don't think he needs any wp-buffers really. He often walks up once turn 1 and uses his own aura to scare a non-minion into some mobility. Maybe a walk turn two. After that I wouldn't use it much unless I need some critical thing to happen very far away and I would not try a horror duel that I didn't have a card so I knew I could beat it, even with aĀ :+fateĀ that is a very hail mary move that will punish you harshly. If you still have the black joker in your deck somewhere theĀ :+fateĀ is often a liability and with a decent wp it doesn't necessarily add enough to warrant that extra risk. The black joker is the reason I often refrain from trying to give ap even when I walk Lucius.

• Like 1

You're probably right that lynchpin isn't a role in itself. I just seem to always have that one model that my crew really wants (weaver for collodi, lawyer for lucius), but you're right that they themselves are just buffer/controller and not a separate role.

Regarding lucius I've just gotten him so I might be playing him wrong, burly I find his walk really helps me get my models up the table on turn one and two.

Also I have to agree with the definitions not being too constrained.

9 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Do theĀ categories need to have checklists? It's hard to define the roles so rigidly.

Huh. Looks like one of my drafts somehow lost the words that the checklists are 'meant to be a guideline, and there exist models which don't explicitly fit a category yet are definitely in it." *edit edit edit*

However....

Remember the target audience: beginning players, either coming to Malifaux from wargames where a model is a special snowflake if it has even TWO rules unique to it or completely new to wargaming altogether, and existing players who struggle to eke out wins because they pick Ophelia over Zipp in a Squatter's Rights game (sorry Brian). If he had looked at the two Masters and understood that one is a Beater/Tank and the other is a Buffer/Controller with a bent towards preventing Interacts, then he would have done better.

Establish the baseline, then the deviation from the baseline. Or if you prefer, KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

I can look at every role (aside from summoner) and see models that don't fit in the guidelines yet are that role. However, each role's exception is only like what, 1-5 models out of 300ish? 80-90% coverage is within acceptable deviation in a game as complicated as Malifaux.

Not like the Alpha Strike system where a simple program with fewer than 20 lines can easily establish a model's role (and Role is an actual, important game aspect!) yet the designers went with "What feels right in universe." Feh.

3 hours ago, Angelshard said:

You're probably right that lynchpin isn't a role in itself. I just seem to always have that one model that my crew really wants (weaver for collodi, lawyer for lucius), but you're right that they themselves are just buffer/controller and not a separate role.

Regarding lucius I've just gotten him so I might be playing him wrong, burly I find his walk really helps me get my models up the table on turn one and two.

Lucius is a Buffer, which states in its text: "Oftentimes they're the linchpin of a list, the combo piece that other models rely upon - and since few of them are Tanks, it means that special care should be taken in identifying and removing Buffer models." Emphasis added. He adds soulstones, generates AP, redistributes AP, gives negatives to flips, and allows Minions to break the Interact rule.

I mean... was I too wordy? Did I somehow lose the focus of the reader?

Not at all I was just arguing that lynchpin is a group of its own. But as ludvig stated that's not true. You can make a crew revolve around a model, but that doesn't make the model itself a lynchpin when you look at the card.

A bit of nitpicking.

You've changed the number of categories to seven but the introduction still says 5 plus schemers.Ā 

In the removing scheme category you've got an and but no scheme after.

Otherwise I think it's s solid readā˜ŗ

6 hours ago, Angelshard said:

Against the aggresive players I face I have a dead Lucius if I walk him more than once turn 1 so I don't want him far up. I spend his commands to push + walk minions up. I can scare an enforcer or hench to walk once.Ā I'm not very fond of lawyers in action, I know others are. The parts about them that are nice are actually more about how strong they are as tarpits and independent schemers I think, the buff is not all that necessary for Lucius (post errata, at least).

Sorry this is really off topic.

On 15/04/2017 at 7:18 PM, Gnomezilla said:

They were right. If you drop a stake a claim marker, and move 6" then you take the (2) interact to remove all claim markers within 6" and place one in base contact you will remove your firstĀ one.Ā 

Most people don't read the action and think it works like scheme markers, but they are wrong, and on a few occasions it makes a huge difference.Ā 

So for stake a claim you need to be able to move 7" and have 2 ap left.Ā 

To drop markers, you need a move of at least 3" as that will ebenough to drop the next marker. If you want to go on move/drop turn after turn without expectign markers to be removed, then you need move 4", but claim jump can be done by a model that can interact twice and move 3" in a turn.

Ā 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

Just going to add that it's 3" if you're dropping them on opposite ends of the base, otherwise it's 5" to be able to do it consistently.

Since a base is slightly more than an inch you need to move 6" to drop it on the same side as the last dropped one, if you have move 5 it's physically impossible to fit it in on the same side.

And if you drop 1, move 4" directly away, drop another slightly to 1 side of behind, move 4 inch directly away, drop 1 slightly to the side you can easily keep dropping them with a 4" walk.Ā 

You don't need to always choose the same part of your base to drop them from. Even dropping them along the center line this will allow you to drop 1 a turnĀ for more than 5 turns in a row if you move sensibly and drop sensibly. Ā 

Ā 

But back on topic, I am interested on on the original topic. I don't agree with all of the points (I've seen Sonnia summon 6 stalkers in a game because that was what they wanted her to do to win, and it wasn't that hard), but its certainly a good general guide.Ā