Faction idea

13 hours ago, BruceStrange said:

I think malifaux is missing crazy religious fanatics. Ones that think soulstones are gifts from the creator. People that are killing for Jesus. Good old fashion hypocrites. Riding bicycles or horsedrawn buggies. Odd hairstyles and clothing. Greasy slicked back hair, bible tucked close, vicious herpes. I could get into that.

Look at "Crazy clandestine weirdos for non weirdos" in the player creations section of the Through The Breach forum.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

Religious fanatics exist in every society. I see no reason they couldn't exist in Malifaux. They exist in other miniature games.

They do exist in other games... and to be honest, that's probably a solid argument against introducing them to Malifaux. The description you gave relies on the same sort of stereotypes seen enough elsewhere - a big part of the appeal of Malifaux's characters is in how they twist, subvert or oppose existing stereotypes to create something unique.

Religion is, by design, not a prominent part of the setting. As the immediate reaction to your earlier post demonstrates, it's a hot-button issue for a lot of people. It's definitely easier not to get into it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BruceStrange said:

Did not mean to offend. Religious fanatics exist in every society. I find them very interesting. I see no reason they couldn't exist in Malifaux. They exist in other miniature games.

You might be interested in the Cult of the Burning Man from the Other Side. They may well be what you're after. 

For Malifaux, have a look at Reva. There definitely seems to be a bit of a cult vibe centering around her as a saviour. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You could have a faction of cults, have limited cult units but each master worships a different tyrants/gods/cult of malifaux and have limited upgrades that change what hiring pool they could have. So e.g burning man cult master could have two limited upgrades one to hire nightmares and say another to hire mages but the Reva cult master would have something along the lines of undead. So it would kinda be similar to ten thunders diversity but still kinda unique.

I don't think we need new full factions, but limited releases like the new syndicate or warmahordes Grymkin could work.

A civilian militia could be cool from one of the smaller towns.

Mayor as the master

City council as Totems (I see 4 people each costing 2ss, but can only hire 2)

Sheriff and Wench as henchman

Priest, barkeep, deputy and that local scary guy everyone in town is afraid of as enforcers

Civilians, drunks, merchants and clergy as merchants

• Like 1