Phiona's "Look Out" and Anna Lovelace's "Gravity Well"

benjoewoo

Question

Assume Anna Lovelace and Rotten Belle are in a crew facing against Phiona and a Death Marshal. 

Rotten Belle and Death Marshal are now engaged by virtue of Belle luring in the Marshal. Belle is fully within Anna's 8" auras, most importantly Gravity Well, with her closest base edge <1" of the closest edge of Anna's auras. The Death Marshal is partially in the aura, with half of its base out of the aura such that the Belle would not block the Marshal's push assuming the Marshal were to be pushed away from the Belle.

Phiona, not engaged with any model, uses 1 AP for "Look Out!" targeting Belle.

I don't have Phiona's card or access to my book, but I do remember Phiona's action has an "and" between her placement into base to base with the rotten belle and pushing friendly engaged model(s) up to 4" away. The next sentence then details Phiona may take a (1) Ml action.

What would happen? Would nothing happen with regards to the place AND push due to the "and" in the action text? Alternatively, would Phiona be placed at the edge of the aura, per Anna's aura, then getting the push? Also alternatively, would Phiona's place fail entirely because it cannot fulfill the base to base requirement and just get the push?

I don't think the (1) Ml action portion of the action would be affected, but it is also not likely relevant unless Phiona actually places, given she can't ignore LoS requirements for her Ml actions. Phiona has a reach of 2 or 3", so if she were to place at the edge of the aura, she would be able to attack Belle.

I haven't found references in the rulebook saying "and" between two effects requires both to occur in order for either to occur, so am unclear on the interaction.

Any and all help appreciated!

4 answers to this question

58 minutes ago, benjoewoo said:

Thanks for the answer--so the end result would be that Phiona places at the edge of the aura due to Gravity Well, pushes the Marshal away, and then takes the (1) Ml action?

Want to make sure I have it right. 

No, Phiona doesn't place at all. Placing is an all or nothing thing, if you can't place where it tells you to place you don't place at all. (Unburrying being the exception)