Could this crew work? Sky pirates being inspired by Alestorm

Swissdictator

So Gremlins are not my main faction, but they look fun.. so I want a crew to run for laughs (also a good crew to play against newer folks as I like bringing people into my hobbies).

I bought the Sky Pirates box (it does kind of make me laugh) in part because two other people have brewmaster around here. Plus, I was eyeballing them as I like some of the minis. The free extra figure (Miss Terious) was an added bonus. 

I also have some bayou Gremlins, and a Whiskey Golem I got for free when I bought some cider at Adepticon. 

I'm thinking that these are pirates who not entirely after money and gold, so much as going after people's alcohol. Partly inspired by the Alestorm song "drink" 

Zipp + 5 Pool
Earl Burns
The First Mate
Whiskey Golem 
Iron Skeeter 
Iron Skeeter 
Iron Skeeter 
Bayou Gremlin 
Bayou Gremlin 
Bayou Gremlin 

I have the golem for beating some face, and it seems like Earl could be fun in support of him and the skeeters. 

Could this list work, or is it doomed from the start? Would it be hilarious? 

Zipps' crew box is great, so with that as a core you're off to a good start. The Bayou Gremlins get you some more activations and can run schemes and the Whiskey Golem has some synergy with Earl.

However, two suggestions:

Firstly, I'd swap a Skeeter or some Gremlins for Sparks. Sparks can make Constructs Fast as a (0) for a measly 6 of any suit. A 4 AP Whiskey Golem? Yes please! Also, he can make your Bayou Gremlins drop Scrap Markers when they die - useful for Earl's positive flip aura.

Secondly, upgrades! If you take 3 SS worth of upgrades on Zipp (Dirty Cheater, a Limited Upgrade and another - I like Rambling Diatribe, but there are plenty of options), you can get 3 SS worth of upgrades on your Sky Pirates for free. I'd suggest you take Treasure Map (for free!) and Where the Captain Can't See on the First Mate (see the Pull My Finger wiki page on him) and two of the Sky Pirates upgrades on the Iron Skeeters - Hovering Airship is fantastic.

I think you've made solid purchases and put together a crew you can have a lot of fun with.    You're not the tippy top most optimal going to win all the tournaments now, but you'll be holding your own in most games and once you get the hang of it probably having a blast as well.

Sparks is a good expansion point, as was mentioned, and having those Bayou Gremlins will go a long way towards scoring points and actually winning games while the rest of your crew gets sloppily drunk.    I approve greatly of this list.

• 2 weeks later...

To the original poster - welcome to zipp! 

I like the basis of your list a lot, have you tried it out yet?

ive not tried running the crew without upgrades myself, nor have I heard of anyone doing this, making you a pioneer! I'd very much like to hear how this goes for you.

joel