So, Paired Weapon Talent sucks in 1e, is this houserule broken?

iamfanboy

So I'm putting together some demo characters to run a game of TTB with to see if I like the core system. It's not bad, I do like how the players are the ones making all the flips both for and against themselves, and naturally I like the world! But some of the Pursuits, Skills, and Talents seem like must-takes and others look like traps, and while I know there was focus on some of them in 2e I'd like to know if Paired Weapons saw any love...

Because it's terrible.

At the cost of a General Talent and doubling your weapon costs (in scrip and ammo), you... get + to the Attack flips. OR, you can buy Custom Grip with a single pistol to get the same result, or get Skill Mastery (weapon) for exactly the same effect, but without a highly restrictive situation behind it. Considering that what a gunfighter probably wants is Specialized Skill leading to Critical Strike, it seems like a damfool waste of a precious Talent slot.

For purposes of this game I'm houseruling it to something else - Make 2 (1) AP attacks with identical one-handed weapons for (1) AP, but can take no other Attack actions this round of Dramatic Time and can spend no AP on actions that would involve using the hands - which opens up some interesting AP efficiency space. I'm not even sure if the restriction on "No other Attack actions" might be necessary, instead it might be "Can only be taken once per round of Dramatic Time" which allows 3 shots... which might be unduly nasty. Granting a free AP is already a strong effect, and probably too strong to be just available at Rank 1 (should be locked behind Specialized Skill, again!)

Or maybe adds a Trigger. Crows: Take this Attack action again. It cannot declare Triggers.

That is something in Malifaux that I don't see in TTB, at least in the base book: Triggers that allow another attack, but at a penalty.

Either of those sound good?

When I read it, I had melee weapons in my head.  For that, it made sense since with two weapons it's reasonable to assume you'll have an easier time hitting people.  I can see why it's not as tempting for a ranged weapon.

"OR, you can buy Custom Grip with a single pistol to get the same result, or get Skill Mastery (weapon) for exactly the same effect, but without a highly restrictive situation behind it. "

Wouldn't both of those stack with paired weapons?  All together you'd have +3 flips.

Just for the sake of mentioning it, in second edition, Skill Mastery doesn't exist and Custom Grip is about twice as expensive as it is now.

In general, Skill Mastery is just too much of a bonus with too few restrictions, especially when applied to combat or magic skills.

• Like 5