Booze, Bacon and Boomstick

daniello_s

Hi all!

Officially I can announce that I have joined the darkest force in the Malifaux - Gremlins ;)

To celebrate this event I started my new blog where I'll post battle reports and my insights on this coolest faction in the game. 

My first post can be seen here:

http://boozebaconandboomstick.blogspot.ie/2017/03/greetings-from-bayou.html

and I'll follow up with games reports shortly.

See you soon!

dan

• Like 6

And now you know why Pigapult is so awesome - it always randomizes into your dudes!

Pretty bad luck - I mean, it was a very tough match from the beginning being the first time you play your Master and first time playing against the opposing Master but it wasn't helped by your luck, certainly.

That said, it still looked like somewhat educational, so there's certainly a silver lining. I know I tend to learn more from defeats than from victories.

...though describing Bayou Gremlins as "reliable" seems a tad odd. ;)

As for Francois, you can also try giving him Crows and look him shoot up low Df models til the cows come home.

Oh, have you marked your W/D/L result wrong for Somer on the right-hand side of the blog?

Thanks for the write-up and better luck going forward! Break a leg (the enemy's, that is)!

• Like 2

Just finished reading your report , and it's really well written :D i started diggin' your Levi posts too :) I'd say tho that so many elite models all at ones don't go well with a summoner too to start off; it's tre that Somer is very good at not using a card to attacks and do his tactical, if yo don't really need to be sre to have it, but for smmoning, yo're gonna NEED to hit that 0 action, with the 8s for the bayos. Add to that the 7 for Gracie reactivate, the one for the skeeter, and yo're pretty mch resourceless! Now, a crew like Levi can handle that, because, for instance, Levi and A&D can handle dying (since they don't) so yo won't bust too many resources on them, but us green-people can't handle that amot of pressure (a model like burt is survivable as long as he can redirect attacks, otherwise a couple of hits and he's down if he can't heal off). So I would sudjest to soften off your opponent resorces with Somer+ bayous, to then strike with burt etc, so it's gonna be more ''even'' once he starts to ditch some cards too.

If I were to play this game, I would had went for Tail'em (very easy when you out-activate your opponent and have a binch of fast minions like bayous), and for a more active Somer rather than just supporting! Quick murder on Mc Tavish was a good pick tho, cause he needs to go down before he can mutilate half of your crew.

Also, I'd sudjest you ti give a try to Bugs if yo don't plan to summon too much, and 3 bayous so you can maximise Somer first turn! In my expiriences, 6 bayous are more than enough for an entire game. 

I jst arrived 2 at a fairly big tornament in Italy, and I'll post something ASAP since I won 2 games with Somer and tied 1 with Zipp :) Keep up the good work by the way, you earned a follower!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, EpicWaffle said:

Unlucky you couldn't finish the game >.< What are your thoughts on the Emissary? I'm planning to test him again soon with Somer, cause  I love the model and I can sense some potential in him, tho he never performed as I planned (maybe because it has a giant "hit me" sign with him :P )

Hard to say after one game only. I think his card shenanigans with Zoraida's Conflux is very good but I think I haven't seen any other Conflux which would make me consider bringing it with other master than Zoraida. Som'er maybe, maybe but I would rather bring something else there than Emissary. It is a beat-stick but with the faction full of heavy hitters which are cheaper I think it's Confluxes would need to be really good to pick him instead of other models and it's not really a case.

Definitely I'll try it again and then share more about my feelings for this model.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I had two games today (woo-hoo!). 

First I played Wong against Zzip and I must say that Glowy on McTavish is pure evil especially when you combine it with Old Cranky and his soulstone 'regeneration'. By the end of turn 4 I wiped out almost whole table (Zzip died of deadly Stuffed Piglet pulses so he couldn't use his Df trigger ;)) and my opponent concede the game. I can't wait to get Swine Cursed as having two extra models with really nice damage track ignoring Armour, Incorporeal and HtK plus regeneration and healing (and reckless) would elevate Wong to the insane level.

Second game I played Mah for first time with support of more beaters (Francois, Burt, Taxidermist) against Pandora. 

On turn 1 thanks to Mah push and Iron Skeeter taxi service I killed Mysterious Emissary (despite my rather average control cards). Then Mah went completely wild killing Widow Weaver (turn 2) and Doppelganger (turn 3) surviving in the meantime beating from Pandora with extra damage for Misery. But the best action of the game was when Pandora was chased by 4 Stuffed Piggies (summoned by second best model in the game - Taxidermist) and finally being finished off by the craziest action I had so far in my Malifaux games. Basically I had 2 Stuffed Piglets 1'' from Dora when Francois walked behind them and smacked one Piglet killing it so Piggy used his Bacon Bomb fliiiping Crow (4 damage on Dora) and killed second nearby Stuffed Piglet who also used Bacon Bomb and flipped Crow killing Dora... I couldn't believe what I see... ;)

It was first time I used Taxidermist and I must say I like this model. He has very good attack with respectable damage track and built in :+fate damage flip which in most cases gives him straight flip on damage. He drops Corpse Markers which he can then change into Stuffed Piglets for 9+ of anything which is not too steep price I must say. Sure he is on;y 6 wounds and with very weak Wp but that means he must pick the fight and not being thrown where he doesn't stand a chance. And with Iron Skeeter taxi service he can be quite scary.

Still I have two masters to play (Brewie and Ulix) but I'm already deep in love with Gremlin buggers :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, daniello_s said:

It was first time I used Taxidermist and I must say I like this model. He has very good attack with respectable damage track and built in :+fate damage flip which in most cases gives him straight flip on damage. He drops Corpse Markers which he can then change into Stuffed Piglets for 9+ of anything which is not too steep price I must say. Sure he is on;y 6 wounds and with very weak Wp but that means he must pick the fight and not being thrown where he doesn't stand a chance. And with Iron Skeeter taxi service he can be quite scary.

Still I have two masters to play (Brewie and Ulix) but I'm already deep in love with Gremlin buggers :)

Taxidermists are one of those models that if your opponent doesn't respect are gonna blow the game! They beat hard, and summon easily and if you select well your target, they're hard to take down (especially with d.c, and on them it's really not wasted). Gj on the games, glad you're enjoin your trip around here ;) 

also, I gave swine cursed a shot proxing them and they're dirty, really dirty! They go down easily, but they sure hit like a truck. Shame is they're not that worth with other masters imo, aside from Wong 

8 hours ago, EpicWaffle said:

also, I gave swine cursed a shot proxing them and they're dirty, really dirty! They go down easily, but they sure hit like a truck. Shame is they're not that worth with other masters imo, aside from Wong 

At least we will have some additional choice to pick for Wong' crew apart from standard Burt-Francois team ;)

• Like 1

Gonna play Guard the Stash and scheme-orientated encounter (except Dig Their Graves ;)) against friend on Sunday. I have two masters I haven't played yet: Ulix and Brewie.

Question is should I be friendly and use Brewie (with Whiskey Golem, Gracie+Lenny combo and generally models I haven't used much so far) or should I be less friendly and bring Ulix with Pig-factory and Pigapult as cherry on the top of it? ;)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, daniello_s said:

Gonna play Guard the Stash and scheme-orientated encounter (except Dig Their Graves ;)) against friend on Sunday. I have two masters I haven't played yet: Ulix and Brewie.

Question is should I be friendly and use Brewie (with Whiskey Golem, Gracie+Lenny combo and generally models I haven't used much so far) or should I be less friendly and bring Ulix with Pig-factory and Pigapult as cherry on the top of it? ;)

Is he likely to bring a full-on crew or something more laid back? Aim for the best possible game experience for the both of you!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Is he likely to bring a full-on crew or something more laid back? Aim for the best possible game experience for the both of you!

He always is more 'fluffy-orientated' with his crews although sometimes he uses Colette with Hank ;)

I think I'll go Brewie just for the craic.

• Like 2

First game as Brewie and as expected first loss ;)

We played Guard the Stash (corner deploy) and schemes were Claim Jump, Dig Their Graves, Leave Your Mark, Tail Em, Covert Breakthrough.

I brought funny list as I decided to check if the 'expunge' Brewie is good or bad choice so I had Brewie with DC (6 stones), Wesley, Sammy with Binge, Fingers with DC, Burt, Slop Hauler, Performer, 2x Bayou Gremlin.

Owen took his trusty Ramos with Arcane Reservoir plus two other upgrades (buffs for DF and MI), Joss with Bleeding Edge Tech, Howard with Imbued Energy, 2x Arachind, Coryphee and Mobile Toolkit. Once he shown his crew I knew it's gonna be hard as I'll be out-activated turn 1 on. I went for Dig Their Graves but unfortunately I picked wrong second scheme - Claim Jump. I should take Tail Em.

As expected game was tough and Owen took full advantage and sent me wave after wave of Spiders who tarpitted me. I wasn't able to hold is flankers and I was only able to negate 1VP for Breakthrough thanks to Sammy. If Performer survived on turn 5 she would negate second VP. In the end I lost 6-8 which I consider a could score for this crew. If I took Tail Em I could try for draw.

As for Poison - 'expunge' trick it's not bad (Howard died this way - I expunged him for 8 damage) but definitely I would prefer to play Brewie with some good beatsticks rather than Poison game as Swill is very nasty condition.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got back to gaming again (woo-hoo!). This time I used Ulix against Sonnia. We played Extraction with ClIm Jump, Accusation, Tail'em, Dig Their Graves and AQuick Murder.

I took Ulix (Husbandry, DC and Hunting Bow), Old Major (Corn Husks), Sow, Piglet, Penelope, Slop Hauler, Pigapult and 2x Stuffed Piglet. My schemes were Tail'em and Accusation.

After tough game I won 7-4. 

Turn 1 broke my heart as after stoning for extra cards I had 12 and everything else below 5 so Ulix could 'only' summon War Pig this turn. Turn 2 i summoned two Piglets and that was all for summoning at this game (except 2 Piglets popping out of killed Sow) as Ulix was relegated to support tasks rather than summoning. I was hoping to summon 4 piglets on turn 1-2 but cards were rather cruel to me ;)

I used Shot to the rear once and Sow killed two Witchling Stalkers and hit Samuel Hopkins pretty hard although I was quite unlucky here as well as during her activation Sow missed both swings at Hopkins...

Anyway i did enjoy running Ulix and bunch of pigs and looking forward to uses them again in nearest future. 

• Like 2

Tail'em with Piglets is almost unfair. I say almost because it isn't Cursed Object or Distract with Piglets :P

Why did your summoning slow down, was it saturation, you needed the cards for something else, or you were going more direct hitty with Ulix's AP? Just curious to know. I've been trying to dial back the summoning, but I can't bring myself to completely ditch it because it's just so good. A net gain of 6 stones from a turn 1 War Pig seems too good to pass up. OTOH I've also been considering a ridiculous summon factory with the Student of Conflict and Ulix, pumping out four piglets a turn, but a] that would cost silly amounts of cards and b] Old Cranky and Penelope are just so gooooood.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Why did your summoning slow down, was it saturation, you needed the cards for something else, or you were going more direct hitty with Ulix's AP?

My control hand was dreadful on turn 1, average on turn 2 and from turn 3 on Ulix was busy with Proding pigs for extra attacks ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Played against Lady J last night (Headhunter and all non-killy schemes). I took Zipp this time but thanks to my opponent's amazing control hand on turn 1 and 2 (mine was good/average good but not that good as his) and awesome flips I called the game in the mid of turn 3. Whatever I tried failed and couldn't do basically anything... Apparently cards hated me that night.. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting back to Faux...

Got a game yesterday (Collect The Bonty) - Ophelia vs Perdita so typical Mexican... I mean Bayou stand off :) I played Kin-heavy crew (for fun) and Owen had elite-crew because of Last Stand scheme.

Was pretty narrow till the mid of turn 3 when I was able to take out Ryle and Francisco (combined effort of Ophelia, Sammy, Lighting Bug and Raphael - Sammy and Bug died in the process, Raphael was below half of his wounds) and suddenly I ad Ophelia and Raphael as damage dealers and 2x Bayou Gremlins and Merris as scheme runners on the table and my opponent had Dita and Nino only. At the start of turn 4 wen called the game (5-1 win to Ophelia). It was fun to run her and her Kin-buddies. I used Raphael for first time and he performed pretty well as flanking model.

• Like 2