Is Tara-only better as Ressers or Outcasts?

iamfanboy

So I have a friend on a serious budget, and he's picked Tara as his only Master - mostly because of the Nothing Beast. Fair enough, says I. But right now I'm trying to counsel him on which direction to go AFTER the box. Death Marshals are an obvious choice (boxin' time), but what's less obvious is what faction he should focus on.

My first instinct is to recommend Outcasts. Things like Sue to protect his Void Wretches, lots of good models to bury (and some that unbury themselves, like Killjoy), and good versatility means that he can easily pick a core of models to support Tara and do what she doesn't. But I don't KNOW Tara or what models fill her gaps, and just looking at her she's got a bit of a resiliency problem. Is that the right call?

Scion of the Void is obvious, as Tara can take her in either faction, as is Hannah and Anna Lovelace, being mercs they can be taken in either faction, Hannah gives you an additional card each turn, Anna allows you to draw one and dump one, so is handy too. Hannah can copy the Death Marshal's bury too.

In Resurs Tara is limited to four Void models, and since most of her Void models are Outcasts that means she'll typically be taking Marshal, Scion and/or Nothing Beast and a Void Wretch and have to buy more Resurrectionist models. In Outcasts the only Void infiltration she'll have to do is Death Marshals so her entire box is usable.

With her revised rules I think Tara is a good mid-range master with a few tricks up her sleeve, and because she covers two factions it doubles the number of models you can buy for her (that might not be a good thing).

• Like 1

Tara works fine in either faction for casual games.  Scion of the Void would be a good add after the death marshals.  Sue's a great model, but he really can't keep up with the wretches to do them any good.  Any of the Horror minions work for Karina's summoning and can be hired if you run Tara resser.  Without the Horrors you might as well leave Karina in the box.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pallas4 said:

I really like Tara as outcast for only one thing: "Scramble". With the Reactivate condition it makes Tara REALLY speed. Not Matter of terrain, she can where she wants in one turn. 

I love your Avatar image. Is it your work? Adorable!

From what I am hearing, Outcasts is the best choice for Tara.

1) General upgrades that are better for her

2) Most of her starting crew is Outcasts, so no need to shift budget

3) models that support her playstyle or cover weaknesses are more available.

It really comes down to your upgrade/scheme runner preferences.

If you need Necropunks/Crooligans, go Resser, otherwise Void Wretches are awesome.

Basically, upgrade choice would be Tara dual upgrages vs Decaying Aura/Corpse Bloat

also, on the Nothing Beast it goes to My Little Helper (which is silly good) vs Scout the Field (which is also good, but not that silly good).

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 10:27 PM, Freman said:

In Resurs Tara is limited to four Void models

That's only true if you aren't taking Karina With her 0 upgrade (which unlocks the Nothing Beast and Void Wretches for Resurs). 

Though if your goal is to use as much of Tara's entire box as possible, I think it runs a little better in Outcasts.

• Like 1

Just in thinking about it, the main reason to go Ressers would be Rotten Belles for Lures and Nurses to buff a beastbomb target before burying it - definitely GOOD things, but the Void Wretches are adequate Scheme Runners and so is Tara herself, and also those are not really budget items since they come in Crew boxes.

In theory, I'm trying to help him build a list without spending more than $100 on it... he's deep into Force of Will (the CCG) and Warmachine, so the budget isn't there for him. At least until he admits Malifaux is better than all of them. :P

So Death Marshals and Scion of the Void. I'm also tempted to recommend Malifaux Child to him as well.

Post-errata Tara works well in either faction. She wants more of the Void theme in Outcasts but Ressers have other models that play into her bury cycle tricks (the Forgotten Marshal and Bete Noir are must-haves imo). Two activations worth of Spare Parts a turn is theoretically nasty, especially since Autopsies reactivate when your opponent's hand is empty and Tara forces a lot of simple duels to resist burying.

The question isn't necessarily so much 'works well in either faction' but 'works well for the cheapest, cashwise' and I think that's been answered well: Go Outcasts.

I DO like her in Ressers - Luring with Rotten Belle to allow Tara's group Fast buff on an entire pack of Undead might be one of the corner cases where you actually DON'T want Tara activating first! - but I honestly can't recommend it all that much to my friend, at least not on a budget.

On 3/25/2017 at 8:29 PM, iamfanboy said:

So Death Marshals and Scion of the Void. I'm also tempted to recommend Malifaux Child to him as well.

The Child doesn't really do anything for Tara: he can't copy her mass-fast action since it's not a Ca action, while the rest of her casts would need a suited 10+ to copy, which is a lot of investment. You're better off bringing another Void Wretch, those things are amazing toolboxes.