Moments of Levity

Joel

Needed? Possibly not.

fun? Certainly!

what the list allows you to do is create anchors on the fly - meaning your opponent has less knowledge over where Levi will reappear. 

In the Colette matchup, despite my opponent not choosing scheme marker schemes, the ability of the swarms to blow scheme markers off the board was still very useful.

i lost 2 spiders, a miner and a waif all game - but I did swarm up 2 swarms too

• Like 2

Just now, Joel said:

Needed? Possibly not.

fun? Certainly!

what the list allows you to do is create anchors on the fly - meaning your opponent has less knowledge over where Levi will reappear. 

In the Colette matchup, despite my opponent not choosing scheme marker schemes, the ability of the swarms to blow scheme markers off the board was still very useful.

i lost 2 spiders, a miner and a waif all game - but I did swarm up 2 swarms too

Haha very cool!

6 hours ago, crimzzen said:

Rider is great with Levi, as you said it's two zeros for 2 cards which is fantastic.  I don't see the point in hiring a terracotta warrior thou. It's a lot of points to save 1 point and an upgrade slot. Levi crews traditionally don't need the protection.

The point of the warrior is to re-attach Oathkeeper twice by cycling Pariah of Iron and whatever else you have, giving Levi 3 turns of Fast. He could also let you be a bit more aggressive with the Mech Rider turn 2 by applying his protection. He could also cycle something like Scout the Field for Oathkeeper or Return Fire to speed up low WK models turn 1. 

Like I said I haven't tried it, but it seems worth a shot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VaudevillianVicious said:

The point of the warrior is to re-attach Oathkeeper twice by cycling Pariah of Iron and whatever else you have, giving Levi 3 turns of Fast. He could also let you be a bit more aggressive with the Mech Rider turn 2 by applying his protection. He could also cycle something like Scout the Field for Oathkeeper or Return Fire to speed up low WK models turn 1. 

this has possibilities, but it'll have to wait for me until I have a TCW model and card.  Extra oathkeeper, if just for one turn on Levi, would be useful indeed.

• Like 1

I was using T-Warrior few times when I was still playing Levi. He is very useful for recycling Pariah of Iron or Scout the Field upgrades once they are not needed anymore. Also he is great babysitter for Johana or Rogue Necromancy as his damage prevention condition helps them last a bit longer on the table.

Generally I think it is more than worthy of his 5SS cost and would recommend bringing him as much as possible.

34 minutes ago, daniello_s said:

I was using T-Warrior few times when I was still playing Levi. He is very useful for recycling Pariah of Iron or Scout the Field upgrades once they are not needed anymore. Also he is great babysitter for Johana or Rogue Necromancy as his damage prevention condition helps them last a bit longer on the table.

Generally I think it is more than worthy of his 5SS cost and would recommend bringing him as much as possible.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I generally play Bone Levi, so I don't have any of the Iron pieces to try it out. I suppose I could proxy a game or two for the sake of SCIENCE!

Levi with Pariah, Desolate, and Scout would also enable the turn 1 Alpha Strike I'm generally fond of. It usually relies on a Doxie usually to move Levi up out of activation, keeping him in range to (0) into base contact with A&D and have 3-4AP of hurt to put out for a total of 28" threat range.

Gonna try a fun list with Effigies

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Leveticus + 5 Pool
- Pariah of Iron (1)
- Oath Keeper (1)
- Desolate Soul (2)
Hollow Waif (0)
Hollow Waif (0)
Mechanical Rider (12)
Howard Langston (12)
- The Bigger They Are (1)
Flesh Construct (6)
Hodgepodge Effigy (4)
Arcane Effigy (4)
Mobile Toolkit (3)

Langston+Bigger They Are+Toolkit seems dirty, Levi with double buffs seems also dirty.

Maybe I should swap the Construct for Brutal for maximum annoyance?

• Like 1

All,

So I got to try the same Levi army again.  Here is my battle summary.  Std Deployment, Squatter rights, CJ, FFM, Leave your mark, Hidden trap, search the ruins.

His army – Shenlong (misdirection, wandering river style), Sensei Yu (Promising Disciple), Peasant, The Lone swordsman (recalled training), Shadow Emissary (conflux of dawn), Sniper, brother.  What an army, conditions, cards, pushing his guys around, fast, and pushing me away and throwing my markers all over the place.

Final score (10-4).  I got full points, and took Leave your mark and search the ruins.  He got 3 for FFM, 1 for squat, and 0 for search the ruins.

Big picture points:  Another great crew for Bete, but I tried hard to blow it as you will see below.  FFM is hard to not give away.  He through 5 markers out of the middle.  If we did not have a turn 5, and I had not left him only with his master, so I could drop markers after his turn, and remove his it would have been 7-4.

Levi – This game he never used his 0 to jump to an abomb or A&D.  He did turn into a waif every turn.  Turn 1 he made a brother into abomb, and put some wounds on lone sword.  Turn 2, thought he was going to get killed as my opponent had initiative, and a fast, trained lone swordsman to charge in, but he charged Johan, and was left on one wound (only due to a BJ).  Levi, made an abomb out of him (and gave 3 points).  Turn 3 used oatherkeep, and was lucky and took out emissary.  Turn 4, shot and dropped a marker; turn 5 killed peasant.

A&D – So I was asking my opponent if he thought the A&D pulled his weight.  I think he had a good point, while he has the same cost as Nikema, he is not a full on murder that she is.  His strength is he will be there all game and can hit, but can do a bunch of interactions late and early game.  He did that, flipped a squat, guarded it, took a bunch of shots from sniper, dropped 3 schemes in center (some got pushed out), and removed 1 of his.  To answer a question, would bigger they are have helped?  Last 2 games no, this game, not really.  Would have done 1 extra damage to Sensei Yu, who healed 4 anyway, so it would not have helped.

Bete – OMG, tried to make her not succeed.  Should have had her start out to give negs to shots, should have had her pop out of brother on turn 1, should have had her pop out of A&D turn 2, but keep forgetting her (I did not have her model with me, so I think that was part of the problem).  Could not get out on turn 3 (stupid emissary is not living or undead).  So she got out turn 4, and murdered Sensei Yu (and he was paralyzed if I failed to kill).  He was forced to activate his master first on turn 5 as so not to be charged by her and possibly paralyzed.  She then was buried by sniper, but popped out of peasant and killed sniper.  Even with all the mistakes, she was worth it in turn 4 and 5, should have been awesome if I had been smarter.

Johan – Should have died top of turn 2, but lived.  He flurried the lone sword, but could not kill, but did push him away to allow Levi to shot, and place abomb in better place.  Only thing he killed (sniper top of turn 3), and I would say worth 6 points easy.

Flesh Construct – Super anchor, dropped some scheme markers (that got pushed out), took some attacks without an issue.

Necropunk – Awesome.  Flipped 2 squat, 3 leave your mark, one for search.

Abomb – Got cards, activations, flipped/guarded squats, picked up his scheme marks, dropped scheme markers.

Waifs – Did their jobs.

I am starting to find my Levi groove. I like his aggression, but I don’t like hyper aggression (For example, like Viks, but I don’t take the place or accomplice upgrades, and almost never attack with them on turn 1).  I like the activation control I start with and only improve.  Levi forces you to take out the support pieces first (I am always looking for 6 wounds or less targets), and that is a strong play.  Once that is done, the snowball has started and you have your way.  As always, your comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 3:03 PM, keget said:

I do not cheat in a high card unless there is a good reason for it, but again, with a def of 7 and 4 wounds, even if they flip a high card, it still is at lease 2 attacks.  I agree that I have A&D and Bete forward, and they often are not anchors.  Just as Johan and Flesh are slow and often are back to be my anchors.  That said each game I have had one turn where Levi turned into waif, and I was glad that I had 2 things way forward that could be an anchor for it.  I don't find that I need a 3rd anchor in the backfield.  

I will pay attention to next game to see if Bigger they are would help A&D.  I know that last game it would not, but that Tara list is not the norm.

So this last game, Bete only buried once.  He was shot at by a focus sniper, I was losing and used a 9.  He then used an 11 to hit, and I used a 10 to bury.  Did take the whole sniper's turn though.

As for bigger they are...I answer this in my long thread, but for the short answer, no would not have been worth the 1 ss for it for a third game in a row.

Thanks,

Steven

Would Bigger They Are depend on schemes and opposing faction? Guild and Ressers seem to have good non-discardable upgrades and at least in my experience Quick Murder targets tend to pack an upgrade or two on them. Could maybe be thought of as a soft counter pick to Show of Force as well?

43 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Would Bigger They Are depend on schemes and opposing faction? Guild and Ressers seem to have good non-discardable upgrades and at least in my experience Quick Murder targets tend to pack an upgrade or two on them. Could maybe be thought of as a soft counter pick to Show of Force as well?

From what I have seen (only 3 games so far), but I don't think so.  The A&D just does not attack that much.  Thinking about it now, it might work on Bete.   It would have made killing sensui  easier (but it was easy with the flurry anyway).  I am still thinking that in this army it just is not worth it.

On 4/25/2017 at 4:14 PM, VaudevillianVicious said:

Yeah I see the potential interaction and having fast is never a bad thing but I'm still not convinced its worth the points.  Also I usually don't have a dead spot past a pariah on my levi upgrades where I want to swap (Running say pariah, deso, tally).  So while swapping pariah of iron for oathkeeper could be great, I'm not sure its 5 SS great (I'll definitely try it though one the models released).  If you're swapping multiple dud upgrades (like used up scout and pariah), I think there is some worth there.

47 minutes ago, Joel said:

I'm considering this for bone Levi:

levi (bone, oath, desolate soul)

2 waifs

ashes and dust

2 abominations

killjoy (oath)

bete noir (oath)

Looks fun, every time I see killjoy I'm like "Why not langston?"  But I see you're specifically going bone levi.  Interested to see how he performs for you vs other beaters.

1 hour ago, Joel said:

2 waifs

ashes and dust

2 abominations

killjoy (oath)

bete noir (oath)

I have tried a version of that crew with pre errata leve a couple of times. Didnt have aboms. Probably belles instead. I liked it! Really fun and slippery!

2 hours ago, Joel said:

2 waifs

ashes and dust

2 abominations

killjoy (oath)

bete noir (oath)

Who is gonna be an anchor there? A&D is too fast and should do other things. Killjoy starts buried and you dont really want to be too close once he pops out. Bete is buried too, then maybe she can be an anchor later in the game.

And come on! With Bete only it can't be called Bone-Levi ;)

9 hours ago, daniello_s said:

Who is gonna be an anchor there? A&D is too fast and should do other things. Killjoy starts buried and you dont really want to be too close once he pops out. Bete is buried too, then maybe she can be an anchor later in the game.

And come on! With Bete only it can't be called Bone-Levi ;)

Everything is undead.

as for the anchors, the trick is to only have them when/where you need them.  In this list Levi will not be burying every turn.  But with Levi's other (0) action, aboms and a&d can be broken to pop out either or both of the hidden ones

• Like 1

I played another game with my "all summon all the time" Leveticus crew and although it was a 8:5 loss against Hamelin it was great fun. Turn three I was flipping crows like a boss, and Ashes and Dust turned a Stolen and two rats into Abominations. Given they were standing around Hamelin and Baby Kade, Hamelin was not impressed. No suits on casting actions, and no (0)s. I actually out-activated Hamelin. Abominations are much better than rats.