Moments of Levity

Joel

2 hours ago, DamasterZ said:

The point is trying to have one of the anchors with 2 waifs. I usually deploy it at the sides, and the anchor have to be at 6'' of the waif. That way, between the 2 waifs, probably should be over 10-12", added to the 6" of levy, are enough. If i need it urgently because for some strange reason an anchor has died, i have A&D or Bete to anchor it.

I've used this list in many tournaments and people usually have bigger issues with A&D, Bete and Levy, so ignores the anchors (also, both anchors are hard to throw down)

This is a great excuse (like I need one) to get bete painted at last - she's undercoated at the moment.

• Like 1

So I played vs Dita last night. Brought:

Levi (Deso Souls, OathKeeper, Path of Iron)

2 Waifs

Rusty Alyce (Oathkeeper, Deso Souls)

Johanna

Miss Step (Oathkeeper)

2 Void Wretches

It was my first Levi game and Howard probably should have been Ashes & Dust but he's on the paint table atm. Turn 2 Levi popped Oathkeeper and obliterated Francisco. It was amazing to be able to delete a model then not be there when the retaliation showed up. Howard was my frame target and the Dita player realized it, so I ran him in to engage Abuela and Dita. He tried to pare down damage so Dita didn't kill Howard, and in doing so missed with his austringer later to keep Howard alive for more destruction and mayhem. 
Over all I loved the play style, incredibly mobile and the ability to pick off key models while distracting the field and still accomplishing schemes. I'm interested in getting Ashes and Dust in the game to see what shenanigans the near unkillable dust devil will bring. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Freman said:

I should spend more time playing with Leveticus and Viktoria. It would be a change to be aiming to kill models rather than just complete schemes.

From what I've seen of Levi crews so far, you can have your cake and eat it when it comes to killing and schemes.

I've still not managed game 2 yet - I'm operating a casual game system where, unless my opponent requests I use a particular master, I'm flipping one at random - Levi hasn't had his card flipped just yet.  I will be bringing him to the Haul of Eggs event however (8th April, Daventry, UK) for 3 games to see what I can learn.  I will post back my findings asap.

If I'm lucky, I might get a vassal game in with him before then, so I'll post details of that too.

• Like 2

Today I rolled up probably the perfect combination of schemes and strats with Leveticus.

Strategy was Interference, Flank Deployment

Schemes I took were Mark for Death and Neutralize the Leader

I took

Leveticus, desolate soul, from ash, to the earth return, 6 stones

Rusty Alyce, desolate soul, from the aether

Ashes and Dust

Desolation Engine

two Hollow Waifs

My opponent took

Colette

Mechanical Dove

Cassandra

Angelica

2 Coryphee

2 Performers

Mannequin

I don't recall the upgrades. He took Claim Jump and Leave Your Mark.

I was blessed with good hands for the first four turns (a change from my usual bad hands for five turns) and proceeded to kill, convert, and summon models all game, finishing with Ashes and Dust knocking off Colette's last wound on the last turn. I used From the Aether and From Ash to summon an Abomination in the first turn who sat in my home quarter holding it while the rest of the crew made a mad rush towards the enemy. Desolation Engine died in the second turn, after fluffing his attack on Cassandra with a black joker, but the Abominaitons he summoned were probably more useful than he was.

It ended up being rather one sided with a 10:1 finish and no models left in Colette's crew, while I had only lost Desolation and a few free(ish) Abominations. With the revised Leveticus rules I don't feel any particular need to bury him except when his wounds get low, although I did sacrifice Ashes for the teleport at one point. Leveticus still works as an offensive summoner, he just has to keep his expectations realistic.

• Like 1

Played vs The Viks last Night - Guard the Stash (Claim Jump and Eliminate the Leadership for me)

I ran

Levi (Iron, Deso, Tally) (3SS)

2 waifu's

Rusty (Oath, From Ash)

Ashes and Dust

Johanna (oath)

Trapper

Necropunk

I won, though we called it early due to time.  Levi was very mobile, teleporting to A&D to kill a freikorpsmann turn1 and then later bouncing to the other side of the table.  I need to work on timing if I'm going to stick with Tally Sheet as often times Levi would soften something up but another model would get the kill.  I'm use to surging with a raspy crew and just having all the cards.

Rusty was good, made an abom and stymied the viks from charging into the fray.  She was a little squishy though and eventually died to focus'd shots from a trapper and vik of ash.

Ashes and dust was great.  A RJ outright killed Vik of blood and he killed a second freikorpsmann.  Later I split him with Levi to keep 2 models on the stash marker.

Johanna never impresses me TBH.  She's just to slow.  This game was no different.  She was too slow to make it to some cover and was blasted apart by a oathkeeper Lazarus. (dropped to HTK and a trapper finished her off).  She's cheap but I'm not sold on her.

Trapper was solid, great control piece.

Necropunk was amazing. Scored claim jump for me on his own.

I didn't realize that ashen core can give a construct fast.  I'm going to swap rusty for laz as I almost always split A&D turn 1 with a leap from Levi.  This would setup Laz for a turn 2 fast which is where I play oathkeeper on him 90% of the time.  Either saving me a point or saving oath for later.  Laz also seems more durable than Rusty without SS reliance and similar dmg output. 3 SS felt like a few too many, both with the temptation to spend them on keeping Rusty alive and trying to hit Deso triggers.  I think swapping out Rusty and adding a hodgepodge could help with that.

Next List I'm Going To Try:

Levi (Oath, Deso, Iron) (3SS)

2 Waifu's

Ashes and Dust

Lazarus

Trapper

Trapper

Necropunk

Hodgepodge

I still have the Punk so I can always do Claim Jump and pick the other strat that's best for the game.  Hodgepodge should help out with SS use.  Double trapper will help exert some pressure and prep models for Levi to kill them.  I dropped Tally in favour of Oath.  I am a little worried about card manipulation (hopefully I can make some aboms quick to start pinging laz for cards).

• Like 1

I finally managed to get some Levi games in by taking him to a 3-round 42 player event.  I finished on 2 wins and 1 loss coming in 9th overall and taking best outcast prize.  

The three games were standard extraction, flank guard the stash and close reconnaissance.  I used a fixed list in all 3 games as I'm still in a learning pattern and wanted to see what it could/couldn't do.  The list was:

levi (oathkeeper, desolate soul, parish of iron), 2ss cache

2 waifs

2 abomination

ashes and dust

2 teddies, both with oathkeeper

the list hits hard. Very hard. 

I lost game 1 vs Kirai as I picked the wrong scheme - I didn't realise how easy marked for death could be with this list, and I should have taken it.  Score was 7-5 in the end.  

Game 2 was vs Ironsides, and we both got full points for quick murder - Levi burning  oathkeeper to unmake a rail golem turn 2 and produce an Abom who, turn 3, got me accusation points.  Score was 8-6 as I managed to deny the stash and last stand points by killing lots of stuff.

game 3 was vs Sandeep - opponent had taken a mech rider (which I think more people should do with Sandeep - gets more gamin out). I took undercover entourage and set up on Carlos. I ended up opting to get 2 setup points on Carlos, but got everything else to finish on 9, while denying all but one recon point from my opponent.  

Across all 3 games I buried Levi just once - other then that he pretty much went unmolested.  Aboms using vile reclamation on teddies, who then regent he damage, meant I was often playing off an 8 card hand, and with Ml7 everywhere this card advantage told. 

I will be taking Levi as part of a doubles team to a 2-day 5-game event next week, so I will report back on that too

• Like 4

I've talked about this in another thread, but how do you feel about upgrades on Levi, Joel? I personally have found anything besides a pariah or a generic upgrade (such as oathkeeper) to be waste of SS. What keeps bothering me with Levi's upgrades is the fact they aren't guaranteed return on investment, and if you want the returns, you have to play in a certain way. To me that's just less flexibility, but I've always been a reactive player instead of one having a plan. :P

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Joel said:

I finally managed to get some Levi games in by taking him to a 3-round 42 player event.  I finished on 2 wins and 1 loss coming in 9th overall and taking best outcast prize.  

The three games were standard extraction, flank guard the stash and close reconnaissance.  I used a fixed list in all 3 games as I'm still in a learning pattern and wanted to see what it could/couldn't do.  The list was:

levi (oathkeeper, desolate soul, parish of iron), 2ss cache

2 waifs

2 abomination

ashes and dust

2 teddies, both with oathkeeper

the list hits hard. Very hard. 

I lost game 1 vs Kirai as I picked the wrong scheme - I didn't realise how easy marked for death could be with this list, and I should have taken it.  Score was 7-5 in the end.  

Game 2 was vs Ironsides, and we both got full points for quick murder - Levi burning  oathkeeper to unmake a rail golem turn 2 and produce an Abom who, turn 3, got me accusation points.  Score was 8-6 as I managed to deny the stash and last stand points by killing lots of stuff.

game 3 was vs Sandeep - opponent had taken a mech rider (which I think more people should do with Sandeep - gets more gamin out). I took undercover entourage and set up on Carlos. I ended up opting to get 2 setup points on Carlos, but got everything else to finish on 9, while denying all but one recon point from my opponent.  

Across all 3 games I buried Levi just once - other then that he pretty much went unmolested.  Aboms using vile reclamation on teddies, who then regent he damage, meant I was often playing off an 8 card hand, and with Ml7 everywhere this card advantage told. 

I will be taking Levi as part of a doubles team to a 2-day 5-game event next week, so I will report back on that too

Double teddy eh? Never thought about that with the cards and regen. I find that one teddy never gets there as anything that looks at him, hits him. But two? Maybe maybe....

3 hours ago, marke83 said:

I've talked about this in another thread, but how do you feel about upgrades on Levi, Joel? I personally have found anything besides a pariah or a generic upgrade (such as oathkeeper) to be waste of SS. What keeps bothering me with Levi's upgrades is the fact they aren't guaranteed return on investment, and if you want the returns, you have to play in a certain way. To me that's just less flexibility, but I've always been a reactive player instead of one having a plan. :P

I really want to like desolate soul for theme and function but I have the same niggling feeling in my head. I'll keep it for now as 2SS hardly ruins his list but purely optimal, I may drop it.

5 hours ago, marke83 said:

If you can make an abom, the extra strain that puts on the opposing crew is harsh.  Activation Weight in mid game can be telling

I can't wait to try the following.  I think the amount of things that I can fling in and not worry about getting them killed will be very hard to deal with.

50 SS Outcasts Crew (9 activations)
Leveticus + 5 Pool (attacker)
 - Pariah of Bone 
 - Desolate Soul 
 - Oath Keeper 
Hollow Waif (extra life)
Hollow Waif (extra life)
Ashes and Dust (fast beater, and teleport point)
Bete Noire (in your face, hope she and an abominations can come out turn 1)
Johan (anchor and midfield beater)
Flesh Construct (super ⚓)
Necropunk (scheme runner)
Abomination (extra activation, get card off A&D turn 1, card off FC turn 2, and clogger for mid feild)

Will let you all know how it works (fingers crossed that I can play it on Tuesday). Any thoughts before then I would love to hear.

Thanks,

Steven

53 minutes ago, Freman said:

I should paint my two teddies.

Yes you should! :)  Double teddy is something I've tried with pandora, summoning dreamer and collodi too.  It's silly fun and a lot more effective than running just 1

• Like 1

I've not yet tried the effigy with Levi, although I could see the application since he is often killing a model every turn.  I'd be wanting tally sheet if I ran it though, and I'd be tempted to kill it for 2 cards with Levi's (0) when needed too

9 hours ago, crimzzen said:

Do you guys find use in the effigy? Or do you take aboms for cards?

I always use the Effigy. It's got the best statline in the game for 4 SS, and the (0) is essential for prolonged fights, especially if you have Henchmen who need SS for prevention and want to summon Abominations off Levi as well.

As far as double Teddies, that's a superb idea. Might borrow one from local dirty Neverborn players to try things out.

Double Teddies might be a stretch though unless facing things like Gremlins. When going Iron, I'd rather get a Teddy and a Mech Rider for superior board presence.

Mech rider gives you a fairly solid model capable of scheme running and adding to the summoning pile fairly easily - making it a good addition to many crews for many games.  It's a different role from a Teddy who's job is to go "Raarr!!" Draw a lot of attention and maybe kill a model or two - but certainly reposition them!  

In the event I played, all 3 strategies relied on board position (extraction, guard stash, reconnaissance) making teddy an amusing choice and forcing the game to be played on my terms.

mech rider is on my painting table though!