Moments of Levity

Joel

Hi everyone,

I've recently picked up Levi for the first time in this edition and thought I'd start an ongoing thread to record my experiences and get feedback.  

Crew Building

Due to dabbling across all factions and collecting for years I have plenty of models to fill out Levi's hiring pool, but for sake of my own sanity and, frankly, so I don't have to carry too much I'm limiting a pool down to the following for my initial games:

Leveticus box set (with additional aboms)

ashes and dust

desolation engine

4 ronin

vanessa

taelor

sue

strongarm suit

trapper

killjoy

flesh construct

necropunk

philip and the nanny

toshiro

izamu

punk zombies

pale rider

dead doxy

peacekeeper

ryle

hunters

stitched together

brutal effigy

shadow effigy

soulstone miner

This will allow me to dip my toes into each pariah while getting my head around the core crew and the outcasts.

Games Played

At the time of writing I'm just at one game played. Interference (standard deployment) vs. Guild (Nellie).  Pool was: claim jump, accusation, eliminate the leadership, leave your mark and show of force.

I picked the following crew and went with claim jump and eliminate the leadership:

leveticus (bone, desolate soul), 4ss

2 waifs

ashes and dust

desolation engine

flesh construct

3 aboms

I scored all 10 points - the flesh construct dropping 4 of the 6 claim jump markers over turns 2-4.  He also finished off Gage.  A Hollow Waif charged Nellie to finish her off too.  Killing a master with a totem always brings a smile of "achievment unlocked".  I managed to reform the desolation engine during the game too.

My opponent go 1 point for interference and 2 for accusation.  He had also opted for eliminate the leadership, but Leveticus never dropped below half wounds, and doesn't count as sacrificed when he makes a waif either, so in the end I gave up nothing there.

Hobby

Almost all my stuff is painted and ready to go for this project, but rebasing a pair of hunters is on my list.

Thoughts

The crew feels like it hangs on a knife edge - a single mistake with positional play or activation order could easily have lost me this game.  I'll have to do a lot more learning to get good with Leveticus.  This makes me happy.  Leveticus isn't going to be one-dimensional play or static on the tabletop.  I have lots of options to explore with him though.  I am highly tempted to get a dead doxey into the crew for some pushes on my hitters in my next game.

So that's my intro post - I'll be adding more as I have random thoughts or get more games in.

Joel

• Like 4

on turn 1 the aboms hurt each other and the desolation engine to draw me 3 cards - they engaged other models for interference and freed up my hitters to move freely about the board and do their thing.  

I had one finish off the ashes and dust to break it down allowing me to prevent my opponent scoring a quarter and allowing the dust storm to deal with a field reporter who was being annoying.

The same one killed off the printing press

• Like 2

I had considered this list for Levi 

Levi (Path of Iron, Desolate Souls) 5ss pool

Rusty (Oathkeeper)

Lazarus (Oathkeeper)

2x Stitched Together

Terracotta Warrior

Arcane Effigy

The idea basically having a hard to shift gun line with levi cleaning up the stragglers and making aboms. Stitched with H2K seem to be pretty decent anchors and TC can shift some damage for htem and give levi access to another upgrade like Oathkeeper or Scout. Laz and Rusty do what Laz and Rusty do and the Arcane Effigy makes sure that nasty conditions like paralyze never see the light of day. 

That list sounds reasonable, but I'd ask how much terrain you see on your tables - I rarely find a board that would suit them, and if I'm going for that then a couple of trappers is more likely as they get that built in pos flip as well as being anchors.  

Would you have gone for that list in the interference game I described above?

I've not got a Terracotta Warrior yet, but will try them on their release.

4 hours ago, Joel said:

He had also opted for eliminate the leadership, but Leveticus never dropped below half wounds, and doesn't count as sacrificed when he makes a waif either

But it says as part of the summon a waif text right at the end... "Then Sacrifice this Model" 
Or am i missing something painfully obvious?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Janje said:

But it says as part of the summon a waif text right at the end... "Then Sacrifice this Model" 

His ability to bury buries him instead of killing or sacrficing him. It's a weird bit of convolution but I think it's there because replicating the entire text explaining he's buried, removes all conditions and how he unburies would take up too much room on the card.

59 minutes ago, PositronMike said:

How did the desolation engine do? Planning on using one with my Hamelin crew instead of A&D and would be interested in your thoughts.

He was great - drew fire while handing me cards, then reformed in a good position to start killing stuff 

43 minutes ago, Mr Janje said:

The bit on the front of the card where it says "if he is killed or sacrificed he isnt" ?

I went back to the Schemes and Stones podcast episode for Levi to see if I could glean any info.  A pretty good listen, if a little too short for this particular master, and being pre-errata.

I'm also working my way through all the fluff which features him - always a great place to start for any new players (or anyone new to a particular master)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Joel said:

That list sounds reasonable, but I'd ask how much terrain you see on your tables - I rarely find a board that would suit them, and if I'm going for that then a couple of trappers is more likely as they get that built in pos flip as well as being anchors.  

Would you have gone for that list in the interference game I described above?

I've not got a Terracotta Warrior yet, but will try them on their release.

I think in Interference I'd run Desolate Souls on Rusty to try and get as many Aboms as possible while things are being murdered. We tend to play very terrain heavy so its easy to get the cover you need. Trappers probably would do well but I just love stitched so much. lol

makes sense.  With Ashes & Dust and the Desolation Engine I generated 3 abominations during the game  - felt like plenty of them.  Levi missed his triggers (or didn't kill stuff), so didn't generate any of his own.

stitched are on my list to try out, so we will see how I get on with them - I've tended to find that they die a bit easily in neverborn however, so I'm a little hesitant to use them as anchors.

I love their card draw ability, but as it requires crows in a crew already hungry for them, I'd like to ask if this has been an issue for you, or if you even use this?

As one person suggested replace an abomination with hodegpodge effigy. Much tougher and more useful, also means Levi can happily use stones to get the trigger when he knows hes killing something to get his abomination as he will get it back. Add in Tally Sheet to gain a card too and you gain abominations for no real resource outlay.

1 hour ago, katadder said:

As one person suggested replace an abomination with hodegpodge effigy. Much tougher and more useful, also means Levi can happily use stones to get the trigger when he knows hes killing something to get his abomination as he will get it back. Add in Tally Sheet to gain a card too and you gain abominations for no real resource outlay.

I've run the tally sheet/effigy combo with von Schill before. I think I'd be less likely to reform the desolation engine if I dropped an Abom, but I can see why it would work.  TBH I never got through the 4ss I did take in this game.  If getting more soulstones is the priority I think ronin and soulstone miners would be where I looked - both are also anchors 

Following as I recently started with Levi too.

The list I'm currently working on is:

Levi - Desolate Soul, Bone, Tally Sheet (2pool)

Waif

Waif

Rusty Alyce - From the Aether (to start bringing in aboms turn 2 for cards)

Ashes and Dust

Lazarus

Necropunk

Rotten Belle

His pool is a little lower than I'd like tbh so I've toyed with dropping FtA on Alyce.  The guns are great when the tables light on terrain or there isn't cover where they need to put models... Otherwise the belle lures stuff out of cover (I've considered a watcher too) and potentially makes the opponent discard.  Punk is for Claim Jump.  Otherwise both shoots are just fine in combat too.  I'd like to fit the effigy in but I find the ranges don't always work out when you need them to.

• Like 1

I'm highly tempted to try the following list in games where I don't have to spread out too much:

leveticus (desolate soul), 3ss

2 waifs

Alyce (from aether)

ashes and dust

desolation engine

vanessa

some card manipulation from Vanessa, combined with the ability to get extra ap out of the two large constructs. The crew should create enough abominations. 

Vanessa might be able to draw cards from surge too.

• Like 2

added a soulstone miner to my malifaux bag - thinking about its applications for popping up as an anchor might allow me to run a waif to a location away from the existing anchors and then drop Leveticus where needed later on.

starting one on the board and grabbing a soulstone or two doesn't sound too bad either.  over 2 turns it could supply me with 2 soulstones and 2 cards (from abomination pinging), as well as be an anchor for that time.  

• Like 1

I really want to like the soulstone miner but I'm so unsure.  Mining soulstones is a 2ap action AND does damage to the miner which is a bit of a turnoff for me.  The anchor idea is neat though often times I find ashes and dust are already in position to be an upfield anchor.

I'm interested to see your experiences with him though as the model is great!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crimzzen said:

I really want to like the soulstone miner but I'm so unsure.  Mining soulstones is a 2ap action AND does damage to the miner which is a bit of a turnoff for me.  The anchor idea is neat though often times I find ashes and dust are already in position to be an upfield anchor.

I'm interested to see your experiences with him though as the model is great!

He works fine, plus If you run a Librarian you can get at least another stone out of him through heals, even if you dont need stones he is a solid model

Hi!

My Levy list is the following (sincerelly, I don't know if is a "famous" list or not, a friend talked me about this list. I've tested it and works really good)

Levy (Bone, to the earth return, socut the field (swap last 2 upgr as u please))

2 Waifs

Ashes & Dust

Bete Noire

Flesh Construct

Johan

2 Rotten Belle

Johan and Flesh are the anchors for the waifs,

Virtually, your 3 beatstick models never die (Levy, A&D and Bete Noire)

Cheers!

16 minutes ago, Joel said:

sounds good, although I think I'd be more comfortable switching one belle for a doxey so that I had a 3rd anchor model on the table from the start of the game.

The point is trying to have one of the anchors with 2 waifs. I usually deploy it at the sides, and the anchor have to be at 6'' of the waif. That way, between the 2 waifs, probably should be over 10-12", added to the 6" of levy, are enough. If i need it urgently because for some strange reason an anchor has died, i have A&D or Bete to anchor it.

I've used this list in many tournaments and people usually have bigger issues with A&D, Bete and Levy, so ignores the anchors (also, both anchors are hard to throw down)

• Like 1

My list of late is:

Levi - Desolate Soul, Tally Sheet (2SS pool)

2x Waifs

Alyce - Desolate Soul, From the Aether

Ashes and Dust

Vanessa

Johan - oathkeeper

Hodgepodge Effigy

This gives me 4 anchors, some card manipulation, ability to gain soulstones etc. Also occasionally swap Vanessa out for Sue or Hans and have swapped A&D (plus johans oathkeeper) out for an abomination and one of our nice 10pt models (taelor, lazarus, bishop, hannah, emmisary)

Since his cuddle Levi has been less killy for me and often runs schemes outside of his one or 2 focussed shots as he can really get about and do what he needs to.

Fun kill for me was taking down Asami(?) with a hollow waif (RJ damage on double neg) and the hodgepodge effigys big knife.

• Like 1