Nekima takes over

4thstringer

Has anyone made killing your master with nekima to make her your master a successful strategy?  I want to try it,  but I haven't figured out the list yet.   Closest I've come is this:

50 SS Neverborn Crew
Lucius + 7 Pool
 - On Wings Of Darkness (1)
Nekima (13)
 - The True Mother (2)
 - Rapid Growth (1)
Young Nephilim (6)
Freikorps Trapper (7)
Young Nephilim (6)
Freikorps Trapper (7)
Changeling (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

19 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Has anyone made killing your master with nekima to make her your master a successful strategy?  I want to try it,  but I haven't figured out the list yet.   Closest I've come is this:

50 SS Neverborn Crew
Lucius + 7 Pool
 - On Wings Of Darkness (1)
Nekima (13)
 - The True Mother (2)
 - Rapid Growth (1)
Young Nephilim (6)
Freikorps Trapper (7)
Young Nephilim (6)
Freikorps Trapper (7)
Changeling (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

What`s the exact idea behind the list? - When would you kill Lucius with Nekima, and why? :)

It's that sort of extremely corner case trigger that only actually makes sense every 1 game in 100... I almost think it's more there for the fluff quality than anything else.

I suppose it might be valid if you want to deny your opponent VP and gain a 'bonus' at the same time - say, Accusation or Tail 'Em is on your master, or you suspect that Set Up is on your master. It's a very steep price to pay, but as far as VP are concerned, no price is too great if it's going to secure you the win.

Hey there, someone just as crazy as me it seems :). It's not really about effectiveness, but about a theme and character that suits me better. It's easier on low point hench vs hench games because you can get a cheap henchman like Widow Weaver and cut it down quick, and you don't have to deal with a master afterward. At 50ss there's two options:

1. Easiest way: House rule it.

Course on the competitive scene that's not an option, but outside of it, why not? Here i am lucky, i get to house rule it from the get go: 50ss games with Nekima, she basically gets birthright from the start instead of having to pick a master. The other thing is that she gets an extra upgrade slot. So she has 2AP+Melee master, which means less flexibility than a normal master, but that's perfectly fine and fitting the fluff too. She also has less cache than a master for her stats, i believe, and has no dedicated upgrade set. Still makes for an amazingly fluffy list with Nephilims. There's already one henchman who can play Master from time to time (Wrath), and there's no reason why Nekima is less of a leader than that chap.

2. The Hard way: birthright trigger

If you're going to attempt to have Nekima take the lead during the game, you have to find a master that will be spending itself about so you loose the least possible. You will loose more than you gain, though, as stated above 3 AP with master stats are nothing to scoff at.  I've chopped Lilith's head once, as she was down to 2 wounds anyway, but i didn't gain that much out of it except personal satisfaction. We don't do this for a true gain, just as a sort of "take that" burst of insane logic. There is something about Titania who could get Nekima as the Queen's champion before she dies, which can be great when combined with Malifaux Provides.  then Nekima can just pop her and get down to business.  Anything that will linger on regardless if the master is alive or not is worth it.  That's alot of conditional effects (Nekima must be the first to kill an enemy, and then the one to kill Titania) but pulling it off could be interesting.

No matter who you take to be killed off, bring a BBS (pretty much a given with Nekima) and doppleganger (super important as you will need Nekima to kill Titania before the opponent does it).

I've always eyed the Thousand Faces upgrade with suspicion there...as the upgrade's timing could help Nekima get back an AP if it'd work just after birthright. Something about the order which things occur.

Zoraida could obey Nekima to kill her.  Then you save Nekima's AP. ;)

I feel like Lynch would be the best choice, though, because Lynch gets Huggy, who doesn't disappear when Lynch dies.  I think that's the biggest impact you can have in a master who is brought in to die.  Also, Lynch is going to be simple to kill - he doesn't have great stats, and you'll very likely have an Ace in hand to cheat his duel down....  Go super aggressive on Play for Blood to start.  Start Nekima with 1,000 Faces so they don't suspect it.  Could be amusing to do once.  

• Like 1

As a side note, Birthright only works during Nekima's own activation.

The whole idea of Birthright is about fluff, and i certainly appreciate the intent, but the problem is that execution was clunky at best in game terms. It's using rule-text space so it should make sense game wise. There would have been many ways to make it an optional and fun trade-off rather than a bad choice 99% of the time. By trade-off i mean that it should not make Nekima more powerful, nor be a no-brainer to do, but something highly dramatic showing how uncontrollable Nekima is (as Zoraida said) and how close she is to be a Master herself. Deep down, i can't help thinking that if they could go back to designing this, they'd go a different route or simply remove it entirely. Lastly, even going by the fluff, the trigger only really make sense if she kills Lilith with it...we never see Nekima work or interact with any other neverborn leader in the stories.

In game terms, it's possible that Lynch be the most efficient master to kill with the trigger, like Ergo Cat says.