Nellie or Colette ?

sakurazuka38

Hello,

After a initiation game of malifaux and a stitch of time session, a friend of mine want to buy a dreamer starter.

I have plenty starters unmounted in their box but i can't resist to get a new one to accompany him.

I love support master. And love especially placement tricks.

My prefered are Lucius and Nicodem.

I hesitate between Colette and Nellie. Love their crew theme.

I own a lot a guild stuff so Nellie would be a good choice. In the other hand, my arcanist stuff is limited but i won a translucent Coryphée and Angelica in a tournament and i already have the ramos box (for hoffmann) as beaters ^^!

So wich one do you recommand me ? Are they similar in their playstyle ? What are their difference ?

Thank you in advance (and i apologize for my bad english)

Of the two, Nellie plays a more aggressive control game - she's great at isolating enemy models by teleporting them to scheme markers, pushing them with Propaganda, or simply getting in your opponents face with a full hand of cards and a stack of Evidence. She also controls tempo through Misleading Headlines and has access to a wider hiring pool through Embedded. All she really does for her own crew is get some extra attacks (Propaganda) and give them Fast and some healing/scheme support with Delegation.

Colette on the other hand is more of a support master. She can do some surprising damage with Saber Trick but mostly she's about summoning doves for activation control/model buffs, she's about facilitating scheme marker interactions and passing AP. With a little set-up and a Union Miner All Together Now is incredibly efficient. Her teleport works similarly to Nellie's but it's friendly models only, doesn't apply Burning, has a longer range, and can trigger to not discard the scheme marker. Prompt is still gold standard for flexible AP passing since it can target anything and Cassandra can copy it...

Her thematic crew plays almost polar opposite the use of beaters. The stuff in her box is focused on getting scheme markers down and exploiting them as fast as possible. If you shift gears for a more beatdown focus with Howard Langston, Blessed of December, Sabertooth Cerberus, Emissary, and/or Joss, then you're bringing in Enforcers and Henchmen with attack stats, which leans away from the AP multiplication that Colette can engineer. If you bring in minions and showgirls, you get the most out of Colette's passive abilities and AP multiplication. Some canny choices there will give you some lethality in the crew, but it still won't match having Howard Langston or the Cerberus reactivating with positives on damage and attack. Arguably, nothing in Arcanists will.

Nellie hasn't gotten as much exercise in my meta, so I cannot say much about her. Though, with embedded and the merc options, you can easily get a more colorful crew in with the mercs. Alternatively, you could paint up the reporters much like modern day journalists dress: personal taste of each one, creating an eclectic mix (just have some things that are continuous across the crew if you want a cohesive look).

9 hours ago, sakurazuka38 said:

From a painting perspective, Colette seem to be more fun to paint because of the multicolour show costume than the brownish suits of the reporter.

If you don't fancy painting a bunch of brown, then don't. There is absolutely no reason to follow the colour schemes in the official art.

• Like 6