Mike's Homebrewed Masters

Mike Wallace

Hey guys. Being the creative sort, I've decided to set this thread aside for myself. I wanted to post some homemade Malifaux Masters, characters I enjoy from other settings and mediums who I believe would translate well into Malifaux's setting or gameplay mechanics. There's no real goal to this, other than teaching myself the mechanics of the system and having fun with some of the concepts I come up with. There are no original characters here, just those taken from popular culture, and thus are the property of their respective owners. 

If you like these ideas, feel free to give me some feedback. Comments, critiques and opinions are welcome.

First, the character that inspired me to try this...

TAHM KENCH, THE RIVER KING

And really, could there be a more perfect pick? For those who don't play League of Legends, Tahm Kench is an ancient entity that haunts the rivers of the world, a swamp-dwelling demon with a boundless hunger for the folly of mortals. Like many denizens of Malifaux, Tahm lures in the desperate and greedy with the promise of their heart's darkest wish, returning later to devour everything their foolish mark has gained, all to savor his victim's despair.

In League of Legends, Tahm is a tanking character, able to relocate friend and foe alike. I've adapted these aspects into his Master card, giving him the ability to soak lots of damage while dividing enemy mobs or moving his allies in and out of danger. In a Neverborn Crew, he makes for a solid (if slow) tanking model in a sea of glass cannons. In a Gremlin crew, Tahm would be a juggernaut, able to swallow an ally or two to keep his Wounds up while he rolled over everything in sight. 

TAHM KENCH

Neverborn, Gremlins

Cache

Master, Living

RIVER KING

DF

WP

WD

WK

CG

HT

—Abilities—

Savor The Flavor: Ml Flips performed against this model by models with the Acquired Taste Condition receive :-fate.

Thick Skin: When this model suffers damage, reduce that damage by 1 to a minimum of 0.

River King’s Feast: When this model kills a model it may heal 2/3/3 wounds.

Attack Actions—

(1) Tongue Bath (Ml 6:mask / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1): Target suffers 1/2:blast/4:blast damage, and the initial target gains the following Condition until the end of their next Activation: Acquired Taste +1: Damage flips performed River King models against this model receive +1 to the result.

:mask:ram Buffet: After damaging, all models damaged gain the Acquired Taste +1 Condition.

(1) Tongue Lash (Ml 6:mask / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee6): Target model suffers 2/3/5 damage and gains the Acquired Taste +1 Condition until the start of their next Turn.

:mask Snatch: After damaging, place the target in base contact with this model.

:ram Slimy: After damaging, target is Slowed.

(1) Devour (Ca 7:mask / Rst: Df / TN: 14 / Rg: 1): This attack must declare a trigger:

:mask Chomp!: Target suffers 2/3/6 damage. When this attack kills an enemy model, draw a card.

:ram Regurgitate: Push target up to 8” or until it contacts another model. It and the model it contacts suffer 2/3/6 damage.

:crow Swallowed: Move this model up to its Wk distance as an instant Action. Place the target model in base contact with it.

:mask:tome Abyssal Voyage: Place a Scheme Marker anywhere within 12” of this model. Then place this model and target friendly model in base contact with the Scheme Marker.

LEORIC, THE SKELETON KING

Leoric, of the Diablo and Heroes of the Storm games, is an imposing undead presence, one who absolutely refuses to stay dead. Once a respected king, he was driven mad by the schemes of demons and murdered hundreds of his own subjects before he was finally put down. But Leoric's madness was so great that he returned as the Skeleton King, with all those who died under his rule bound to him in death. 

Like Tahm, Leoric is a tanking master, but with a greater emphasis on endurance, and is a formidable beatstick to boot. Instead of summoning additional minions, Leoric instead can summon himself! After dying, his soul rises in a Spectral Leoric form, and if his consumes enough of his enemies vitality he can return himself to life! While he's slow, he has a few tricks to corner his opponents, allowing him to lay down some devastating melee attacks.

LEORIC

Resurrectionists

Cache

Master, Undead

SKELETON KING

DF

WP

WD

WK

CG

HT

—Abilities—

Armor +2: Reduce all damage suffered by this model by +2, to a minimum of 1.

Undying: If this model is reduced to 0 Wounds, Summon the Spectral Leoric model in base contact with this one, then Sacrifice this model.

Hard to Wound +1: Damage flips against his model suffer :-fate.

Attack Actions—

(1) Skeletal Swing (Ml 6:crow / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1): Target suffers 2/3/4 damage.

:crow Consume Vitality: After damaging, this model may heal 1 Wd.

:tome Paralyzing Rage: After damaging, target is Slowed.

:crow:ram Renewed Swing: After damaging, take a Skeletal Swing Attack Action against the target. This Action may not declare any Triggers.

(1) Drain Hope (Ml 6:crow / Rst: Wp / Rg: :melee3): Target suffers 1/2/2 damage and gains Poison +2. For each point of damage inflicted by Poison, this model heals 1 Wound. This effect does not stack with other Poison Conditions, including additional uses of Drain Hope.

Tactical Actions—

(1) Wraith Walk (Ca 6:crow / TN: 10): This model immediately moves up to its Wk, ignoring intervening terrain and models during the move.

(1) Entomb (Ca 6:crow/ TN: 10): Place three Entombment Markers in base contact with each other anywhere within 6” and LoS. Entombment Markers are treated as Impassable Terrain with Ht 3. These Markers remain until the start of this model’s next Activation.

(2) March of the Black King: This model may discard a card, if it does, this model may make 3 Ml Attack Actions with an AP cost of 1 against a single target. These Attack Actions may not declare any Triggers.

SPECTRAL LEORIC

Resurrectionists

Cache

Master, Undead

SKELETON KING, SPIRIT

DF

WP

WD

WK

CG

HT

—Abilities—

Incorporeal: This model ignores, and is ignored by, other models and terrain during any movement or push. Reduce all damage this model suffers from Sh and Ml Attack Actions by half.

My Rule is Eternal: When this model has healed 5 Wounds, summon the Leoric model in base contact with this one and Sacrifice this model. The summoned Leoric starts with an amount of Wounds equal to this model’s remaining Wounds +5.

Intangible: This model may not take Interact Actions.

Unbound: This model may never be hired into a Crew. This model may only be summoned by the Undying Ability. This model is immune to Slow and Paralyzed.

Attack Actions—

(1) Ghastly Swing (Ml 6:crow / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1): Target is Slowed.

:crow Consume Vitality: After damaging, this model may heal 1 Wd.

(1) Drain Essence (Ml 6:crow / Rst: Wp / Rg: :crow3): Target gains Poison +3. For each point of damage inflicted by Poison, this model heals 1 Wound. This effect does not stack with other Poison Conditions, including additional uses of Drain Hope.

HARRY BLACKSTONE COPPERFIELD DRESDEN, WIZARD FOR HIRE

The star of The Dresden Files series of books, Harry Dresden is a private eye who happens to also be a wizard. Over the series Harry has dealt with evil warlocks, werewolves, vampires, faeries, and creatures stranger still, making him an easy fit for a settling like Malifaux even though the series takes place in modern-day Chicago.

This particular Master card deals with Harry early on in his series, making him a fairly potent if undisciplined spellcaster who has yet to acquire the ridiculous amounts of power he has accrued in later books. His most remarkable ability is the option to field him as a Master in any Faction, reflecting Harry's "wizard for hire" nature and how he often found himself working for the oddest clients whom he sometimes didn't see eye to eye with (a trope typical of noir detective novels).

HARRY DRESDEN

Arcanists, Outcasts

Cache

Master, Living

WIZARD FOR HIRE

DF

WP

WD

WK

CG

HT

—Abilities—

Hell’s Bells: Whenever a friendly model dies within 6” and LoS of this model, it gains Reactivate.

Stars and Stones: At the start of its Activation, this model may discard 2 cards to gain a Soulstone.

In the Phone Book Under Wizards: This model may serve as a Master for any Faction. Reduce its Soulstone Cache by 2 if hired for any Faction other than the Arcanists or Outcasts.

Attack Actions—

(1) Feugo! (Ca 7:tome / TN: 9 / Rst: Df / Rg: :ranged6): Target suffers 2/4/6 damage. If Severe damage is flipped, the target gains the Burning +2 Condition.

:tome The Building Was On Fire And It Wasn’t My Fault: After succeeding, a target with the Burning Condition gains the following Condition until the Burning Condition ends: Pyrofuego: All models (including this one) treat the terrain surrounding it as Hazardous, to a maximum range of :aura2.

(1) Ventas! (Ca 7:tome / TN: 9 / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee3): Target suffers 1/2/3 damage and is pushed 3”. The target’s Burning Condition is reduced by -1 (minimum 0), if any.

:tome Ventas Servitas: After succeeding, the target is pushed an additional +3”. This extra movement can be in a different direction, if this model choses.

Tactical Actions—

(1) Shield Bracelet (Ca 7:tome / TN: 9): Until the start of this model’s next Activation, it gains the following Condition: Hard to Wound +2: Damage flips against his model suffer :-fate:-fate.

(0) I Ran: This model may discard a card to automatically succeed a Horror Duel. Move this model its Cg distance away from the model that caused the Horror Duel.

LEO MAJOR, LIBERATOR OF ZWOLLE

You know all those cheesy action films from the 80's, where a one-man ass-kicking party with a Manly McCool name single-handedly gunned down a city's entire population of criminals? Well Leo Major is their real-life Canadian grand-daddy. Leo Major was a WWII Canadian soldier who was so badass he was blown up by a mine and walked it off by liberating the city of Zwolle in the Netherlands. After his fellow scout was gunned down, Leo went into the city alone, found the Nazi commander in a bar and told him he was there to kick ass and chew bubblegum (I'm paraphrasing). Then, over a single night, he ran around the city shooting and blowing shit up, taking prisoners and convincing the Nazis an entire army attacking. So they fled.

I remind you again, he did this alone. And that's only Part One of his badass war record. 

As a Master card, Leo is a solid soldier, but his focus is less on fighting and more on maneuvering, accomplishing objectives, and bogging down the enemy with Horror Duels. Because he'll rarely be fighting alongside his own Crew (he's too busy running off on his own, getting shit done), he's got an absurd amount of survivability and feeds on his opponent's dwindling morale.

LEO MAJOR

Guild

Cache

Master, Living

HERO OF ZWOLLE

DF

WP

WD

WK

CG

HT

—Abilities—

Death Can’t Touch Him: Whenever the opposing Crew uses a Soulstone, this model may heal 1 Wd.

Hard to Wound +1: Damage flips against his model suffer :-fate.

Hard to Kill: When this model has 2 or more Wd remaining when it suffers damage, it may not be reduced to below 1 Wd.

Prisoners of War: Enemy living models killed by this one drop Scheme Markers, not Corpse Markers.

Attack Actions—

(1) STEN Mk II Canadian (Sh 6 / Rst: Df / Rg: :ranged8): Target suffers 2/4/6 damage.

:ram Critical Strike: When damaging the target, this attack deals +1 damage for each :ram in the final duel total.

:crow Pinned Down: After succeeding, target must perform a TN 12 Horror Duel.

(1) Bayonet (Ml 5 / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1): Target suffers 1/2/4 damage.

:ram Critical Strike: When damaging the target, this attack deals +1 damage for each :ram in the final duel total.

Tactical Actions—

(1) Invading One-Man Army (Ca 5 / TN: 10): This model gains the following Condition until the end of his next Activation: Terrifying (Living) 12: Enemy living models must pass a TN 12 Horror Duel if they end a Walk Action within this model’s engagement range or target this model with an Action.

(0) Shrug Off: This model may discard a card to remove one Condition from this model.

WOLVERINE, THE BEST THERE IS AS WHAT HE DOES

Yes, the X-Man. I don't even need to say anything more, do I?

As a Master, Wolverine is a tanky (yes, most of the masters on this list are tanks, I'm aware of it) who also happens to be one of the most deadly melee combatants on this last (and probably Malifaux in general). He can Charge almost anyone, clear terrain without trouble, and if he gets into melee range the battle is basically over.

WOLVERINE

Outcasts, Ten Thunders

Cache

Master, Living

MUTANT

DF

WP

WD

WK

CG

HT

—Abilities—

Berserker: When this model is reduced to half or fewer wounds, it gains the following Condition: Berserker: This model receives +1 to Wk, Cg, and Regeneration stats.

Superhuman Senses: This model can declare Charge Actions against Disguised models.

Hard to Wound +1: Damage flips against this model suffer :-fate.

Regeneration +2: When this model Activates it heals +2 damage.

Attack Actions—

(1) Adamantium Claws (Ml 7:ram / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1): Target suffers 3/5/6 damage that ignores Armor.

:ram:ram Savagery: When damaging the target, this attack’s damage changes to 3/5:blast/6:blast:blast. This trigger may only be declared when this model has the Berserker Condition.

Tactical Actions—

(1) Fastball Special (Ca 5 / TN: 12): This model immediately moves up to its Cg, ignoring intervening terrain and models during the move.

:ram Snikt!: After succeeding, the model may treat this Action as a Charge Action.

(0) I’m The Best There Is…: Remove all Corpse and Scrap Markers within :pulse1.

CECIL PALMER, NIGHT VALE COMMUNITY RADIO HOST

I'm particularly proud of this last one simply because of how distinct his abilities are. I'm a Welcome to Night Vale fan, and I love the surreal, creepy-yet-comedic style of the podcast. Cecil is the community radio host for the eerie desert town of Night Vale, a place where all conspiracies are true, Lovecraftian forces warp reality on a daily basis, and everyone in the town is perfectly okay with it. Or if not, they are carefully and gently re-educated by a system of secret police, enigmatic hooded figures, and vague yet menacing world governments. 

Because of the world he comes from, I envisioned Cecil as a Neverborn Master, though even the Neverborn would find his supernatural normalcy utterly horrifying. He and his allies can brush off abilities that affect Willpower the way they brush off the strangeness of their home town. As a radio reporter, Cecil doesn't move around much on his own, preferring to summon a seemingly endless army of Interns to do the dying for him. If Cecil finds himself surrounded, he can simply report the Weather, inexplicably causing everyone in range to stop and listen to the Weather report while Cecil makes his escape. 

CECIL PALMER

Neverborn

Cache

Master, Living

NIGHT VALE RADIO

DF

WP

WD

WK

CG

HT

--

—Abilities—

Community Radio Host: Friendly models within :aura4 of may use this model’s Wp.

Smooth, Sonorous Voice: This model receives :+fate on Df and Wp Flips against Ca Actions.

Night Valian: This model receives +1 to their Wk and Cg if they start their Activation within 3” of a Hooded Figure model.

Attack Actions—

(1) This Has Been, Traffic (Ml 4 / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1): Target suffers 1/2/4 damage.

:mask Welcome to Night Vale: After damaging, the target model must succeed a TN 13 Horror Duel or receive -1 to its Ca and Wp for the rest of the game.

(2) And Now, The Weather (Ca 7:mask / TN: 14 / Rst: Wp / Rg: :pulse3): Affected models are Paralyzed. Any Intern models affected by this action are Sacrificed.

:mask Disparition: Affected models gain the following Condition until their Paralyzed Condition ends: Incorporeal: This model ignores, and is ignored by, other models and terrain during any movement or push. Reduce all damage this models suffers from Sh and Ml Attack Actions by half.

Tactical Actions—

(1) Intern [Your Name Here] (Ca 7:mask / TN: 10): Summon an Intern model within 3” of this model. This Action receives +1 to its Ca value for every friendly Intern model that has been destroyed during this battle.

To The Families of Intern [Your Name Here]…: After failing, draw a card then discard a card.

(0) Goodnight, Night Vale, Goodnight: Bury this model until the start of its next Activation. This Action removes all Conditions from this model.