Struggling Against the Voodoo Doll!

lille354

Hail fellow necromancers!

I am having a spot of bother dealing with the Swamp Hag and her voodoo doll.  In 3 games against her I have lost the Valedictorian (turn 1) (burning +4), Philip and the nanny (turn 2) and Anna Lovelace (Turn 1) - different games obviously.  Mainly to the doll being set on fire and passing on the condition on.  Any top tips would be most welcome.  Generally at the moment I am running a horror Molly crew, so I don't have much by the way of spirits (hanged and drowned mainly).

1 minute ago, lille354 said:

I was going to grab Kirai box next to start me down the spirit path, so to speak, but Yan Lo may be a better choice?  The Kirai set seems to have a bit more in that Molly can utilise ;)

Kirai starter only gives you onryo (and a superb master). Personally, if you have to take one starter which synergices better with other crews go for yan lo,  ashigarus and chiaki totally worth. Then buy all the other resser starters :D

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lille354 said:

I was going to grab Kirai box next to start me down the spirit path, so to speak, but Yan Lo may be a better choice?  The Kirai set seems to have a bit more in that Molly can utilise ;)

Dunno how strong you(and the grp you play in) feel about proxies but if you don't wanna invest into another whole crew box right away, this might be a good way to get Chiaki into your ranks. Or go for Johann first ;) 

• Like 1

I had the same problem. My Emmissary died 2nd round (my opponent had a bad hand in the first round…)

Next time I gonna try Chiaki & 2 belles. I think i let the nurse stay home – she ist o dangerous for my master. Then try to kill the biggest threat for your master. Hem & obey can’t be used against her/him! If Zoraida has no more dd, your master can go on and do the killing…

On 2017-03-15 at 2:31 PM, Math Mathonwy said:

You can also take Seamus and basically autokill Zoraida turn 2. His gun and no SS prevention against Z's defenses means a dead hag in two shots and there's very little she can do. She'll make a fine Belle, though...

One of the hardest counters in the game, IMO.

She can soulstone on defense or fly and hide behind a wood far from blocking terrain?

Just now, Ludvig said:

She can soulstone on defense or fly and hide behind a wood far from blocking terrain?

The mere threat can render Zoraida essentially useless.

Also, our tables might feature too much blocking terrain but it's really, really difficult to hide far away from it and still be able to do something remotely useful.

As for SS on defense, yeah, that is what you should do but Zoraida dies to weak and moderate damage so it's still extremely risky. And if Seamus is in the right spot (winning Initiative, for example) he can even Focus twice and thus still get a cheatable flip a lot of the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Math Mathonwy said:

The mere threat can render Zoraida essentially useless.

Also, our tables might feature too much blocking terrain but it's really, really difficult to hide far away from it and still be able to do something remotely useful.

As for SS on defense, yeah, that is what you should do but Zoraida dies to weak and moderate damage so it's still extremely risky. And if Seamus is in the right spot (winning Initiative, for example) he can even Focus twice and thus still get a cheatable flip a lot of the time.

True, he is a formidable threat. I also play far too many tables where the board is covered in blocking terrain.

• Like 1

I do not think running away from Seamus and having him chase is the best idea, he loves that game.  I have had her heal herself with a Nurse before to handle surprise damage from a master *use last AP to Obey a Nurse to use Take your Meds for the Crow trigger*.  Paralyze ends Zoraida's current turn and you get a full heal out of it.  Done that before when someone dealt like 7 damage to Zoraida and made them work for it.  You just have to make sure Zoraida is not within 4" of Seamus if he has Decaying Aura.

On ‎19‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 4:47 AM, EnternalVoid said:

I do not think running away from Seamus and having him chase is the best idea, he loves that game.  I have had her heal herself with a Nurse before to handle surprise damage from a master *use last AP to Obey a Nurse to use Take your Meds for the Crow trigger*.  Paralyze ends Zoraida's current turn and you get a full heal out of it.  Done that before when someone dealt like 7 damage to Zoraida and made them work for it.  You just have to make sure Zoraida is not within 4" of Seamus if he has Decaying Aura.

Oh aye, that's the usual approach but it's not quite a silver bullet due to needing to activate between Seamus activations (often meaning winning ini - though Doppel/Trixie naturally helps), Nurse being sorta squishy, needing Crows (this is pretty common, granted!), and so on. Also, if there's anything else around that can put even two damage into Z, it is often enough for Seamus to then seal the deal.

True, but I think if the Zoraida player is mindful they can limit this a bit.  Any hard cover makes it so that you can counter the double focus with a SS.  In addition another option of course is if he does not have the Bag of Tools is to just move into combat with him.  That prevents him from shooting, he can leave combat, but that costs him an AP likely, and means you can spend a SS to negate the positive from his focus.  This of course is if he had not already hit you for 6+ damage.

You can also Obey something into combat with him and pass the Terrifying so he has to leave/kill it before he can shoot *be mindful of Belles here, Zoraida is safer with her high Wp*.  I imagine a big part will be Zoraida being leery of activating before Seamus unless she is in a pretty safe place from his Teleport, but if he Teleports he will only have a single Focus so you can SS.  Then you better have a model able to engage Seamus to keep him from easily getting double focus next turn if he wins Initiative.

• Like 1