"Fun", "fair" and "easy" masters and crews to play against

surly

I got into the game during first edition and played Arcanists since then. While it's fun to play with the super crazy stuff against other people with an equal skill level, games become pretty one sided against lesser experienced players.

Since quite a lot of new players started recently in our area I'd like to try out something new for myself that's not super shady filth and enjoyable for everyone at the table ;)

What I mean with "fun" ... while subjective from individual to individual, basically common sense here. It's not much fun out activation your opponent all day long with Hamlin, killing everything in sight with Vics or simply going crazy with complicate actions in a Colette crew.

What I mean with "fair" ... to be fair, most things in this game could be considered overpowered and therefore match eatch other. For the most part I mean not executing their models in a very fast order, like throwing Killjoy into their deployment zone on turn 1 or engaging their stuff with a fast, reactive Howard for example. Also insane action economy like Colette or other masters have for example fall into this category just as much.

What I mean with "easy" ... the crew should be viable for demo games and games against new players. Therefore some masters are simply too complex; sure you can explain something like Tara or (again ... ) Colette to them, but it will probably take 1 hour which you could have spend playing the game. Not having them understand what you're actually doing isn't really fun and won't really courage anyone to continue playing.

I hope you get the idea :D

So any ideas what some fine masters and crews could be to choose here? 

Only thing I'd like to avoid is something Arcanist again ... have too many of them anyways ;)

Thanks a lot, cheers! :)

• Like 1

TBH, its not what you play its the way that you play it.  You could still take all the components to alpha strike that Howard and simply choose not to do so.

I dislike the idea that certain masters get "comped" in a given meta, it will do no one any favours if they spread their wings beyond it after all.

My advice would be simply tone down your play against new players until they have their feet under them, but rather than comp yourself out, help them to raise their game faster.

• Like 7

All depends on the character of the new guys really.

Personally I want a challenge and if I get wiped one game i'll have a think about what can counter whatever smashed me and book a rematch in the next week to try and beat it.

Certainly would steer away from particularly negative styles like out like massive out activation or handing out lots of slow/paralyzed as the worst thing for me as a player is not being able to get a lot of use out of something.

Thanks for the replies.

35 minutes ago, Joel said:

My advice would be simply tone down your play against new players until they have their feet under them, but rather than comp yourself out, help them to raise their game faster.

While true, for me personally I'd prefer going the other way and choose a master/crew that isn't as cutthroat from the beginning. E.g. you could probably build and play a great Lady J list using its full potential even against someone who is new to the game. There isn't much shenanigans going on, so even if he looses they'll probably see where their mistakes where.

On the other hand, even if you play something like Colette using only 50% of her potential, chances are high someone fresh won't really get what's going on. 

I've found that everything, if played to 100%, can leave opponents feeling helpless.

if you want me to build you a list that I think will suit your purpose I will, but be advised I went 5/0/1 with it in competition too...

justice

judge

2 death marshalls

2 hunters

2 wardens

uogrades to taste

4 hours ago, Joel said:

I've found that everything, if played to 100%, can leave opponents feeling helpless.

if you want me to build you a list that I think will suit your purpose I will, but be advised I went 5/0/1 with it in competition too...

justice

judge

2 death marshalls

2 hunters

2 wardens

uogrades to taste

And while this list has the tools to outskill the opponent and leave you victory assured. Except for maybe the judge a little, nothing here is a gotcha moment for a newbie after like a single game.

The gotcha moment is really the thing to avoid against noobies as theyll never have a chance. Even when explaining it, they'll have a tough time of it. Lady Js 4/5/7 damage is nuts, but not confusing.

I'm a very unexperienced player. What leaves me with a bad feeling is denial in any form of my models/crew/army/activation.

I see that this is an important part of the game, so I do not complain!But more fun is always when I have the feeling I can actiavate all my models and use their abilites. So if you win by clever positioning, movement tricks etc. I feel like I lost to a good player and not to a "WAAC" who likes to destroy my game. AND the big plus: if you win with clever movement etc. I will learn a lot more about the basics of the game. And you will faster get an experienced player to play the game with all the tricks it meant to be played.

You can never explain everything to a new player, if you're not sure about the basics you won't grasp how stuff deviates from that and a newer player might hardly have a graso on their own crew so all that info just overloads then. That was my experience when I was new.

The most helpful advice is usually along the lines of; this is Tara, she will bury your models but wp helps defend against that. She also likes to play with slow and fast, you'll see what I mean.

Justice can be just as frustrating as any other master if you build a good crew for her. Hey, my master will appear anywhere on the board with ridiculously high defensive stats and start deleting your models. If you attack her and miss she does more damage to you than most of your models do with their own attacks and I'm going to be at higher defense than most of your models have to attack with so enjoy me stoning for masks. ;)

Most masters with their box crew and some in faction models that are not the most powerful tournament power build will give a newer player a decent chance at learning.

If you really want to give them a fun game I recommend Lucius with only witch hunters. They have a clear gimmick but aren't all that effective and they die easily. New players seem unfamiliar with the concept of winning without killing and greatly enjoy murdering your models. Lucius against a new player will often end in Lucius winning with very few models left on the table.

• Like 2

I would suggest going by a players collection size.  A new player is likely to have a crew box and maybe an additional box or two. So play along with that.  Limit your choices to models from crew box with one or two additional models.  

And if they only have a crew box lower the SS cost of the game. 

Out performing a new player with happen regardless.  As mentioned before maybe don't lay on them as hard as you could. What I suggest NOT doing is out investing them. If they enjoy the game they will invest at which point you can turn up the heat. Until then leave your Emissaries and other Monsters in your case and play with basics. 

• Like 2