Support Masters

Raresterror

Hello!

New here. I had a question as I'm New to malifaux as well. My questions are who are the support masters of each faction. I guess, to be specific, I mean masters who are force multipliers. They aren't the ones that are going to be doing the killing, but the ones that turn your models into monsters. In my relative newness the master to me that comes to mind is McCabe. Are there others? And how would you rate them? I know that there is a master breakdown over at schemes and stones, but its super specific and not having played a lot its a bit much to take in. Thank you for your time. I did try a search and didn't really find anything like this so i apologize if this question has been asked before.

I rate McCabe as very strong.

This game also hassummoners which isa differe t kind of support, not surehow familiar you are with their mechanics?

There are also a lot of masters that have available upgrades that grant strong support abilities to models near them.

A few support masters by faction are listed below but someone else will need to continue the list because it won't be complete:

Guild: Nellie, McCabe, Hoffman, Lucius

Neverborn: Collodi, Lilith (not pure ap transfer but lots of tricks), Lucius.

Ressers: Nicodem, Kirai, Molly (all of them summon models and grant synergistic abilities although they may not fit the standard support classification).

Gremlins: Som'er, Ulix (both can summon and support).

Arcanists: Marcus (although also a competent brawler by himself), Colette (classic support), Ramos (summoner) & Sandeep (summoner).

Ten Thunders: McCabe, Asami (summoner), Yan Lo.

I might be slightly off and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

• Like 1

I agree with all of Ludvig's, I'd add Zoraida for dual faction Neverborn/Gremlins, she is the quintessential "Obey" master, with some nice card draw tricks as well.

For 10 Thunders, I'd probably say Shenlong is a support master who can mix things up as a damage dealer (like Som'er in that regard)

And for Gremlins/Thunders I'd add Brewmaster - he doesn't buff his own models, but he debuffs enemies & shuts them down, which makes it easier to kill them.

• Like 1

I kinda figured Zoraida and Brewmaster are more controlling the enemy actions. What some players term "control" and consider something else. I guess a lot of masters toe that line though, it's not that easy to classify them. I think Dreamer can play kind of supporty too?

As far as Outcasts go, Hamelin has the option of Obeying with some minor debuff on enemy capabilities. Tara also fits the bill since with her Fast pulse she can turn one AP of hers into 3+ AP for the rest of the crew, plus she can taxi models around the board even outside of her opening beast bomb.

I haven't gotten to play Titania, but Bloody Command lets you move your minions around, and An Audience with the Queen frustrates your opponent's attempts to kill said minions.

Just now, Ludvig said:

I kinda figured Zoraida and Brewmaster are more controlling the enemy actions. What some players term "control" and consider something else.

It can, but it's a lot easier to get an Obey to go off on your own models. Plus Obeying Whispers in Blood on Lelitu is just meeeeean.

Ironsides might look like a brawler (and is perhaps intended as one as a large part of her card is taken up by it) but she is pretty bad at it. She has an excellent buff though and can control enemies a bit.

Kaeris is in a similar situation, not very good damage but she can draw cards, heal, place scheme markers.

Ramos and Marcus can both be played as either damage or support though it's a little dependent on upgrades.

I think Colette and perhaps Sandeep are the "pure" support masters in Arcanists, others dabble in it or are forced into the role.

• Like 2

Support in Outcasts? Tara (hands out fast like candy) Hamelin (obey) Parker (pushes and some obey like abilities) Jack Daw (a lot of synergy with tormented models) Von Schill (some support for Freikorps models, and more limited with others). Viktorias, Misaki, and Leveticus tend to just do their own thing.

I would say over half the Masters in the game have a support aspect.

For example, the Dreamer has a fantastic support action that people forget all the time. Lady Justice and Perdita can buff their thematic crews, Mei Feng's best ability is arguably Vent Steam... Even the Viktorias can serve as mobility enhancers and healers, though no one would claim that it's their best role.

The most dedicated support masters are probably; Lucius, Colette, Hoffman, and Shenlong. Everyone else has a major non-support play, and even those four can get quite a bit of work done by themselves.

• Like 1