Higher SS cost games.

Shintoninja

I have become very accustomed to playing a standard 50ss game.  I would to try a higher ss game simply because I think it would be interesting strategically. Less cards, more activations.  More reliance on straight flips higher ability scores and less cheating.  Not to mention the possibly of fielding multiple henchmen. 

What ,within the standard board dimensions (36"x 36"), would be a reasonable but high ss cost game? 

I field multiple henchmen all the time, a lot of enforcers cost more than henchmen. Two is more or less every guild list but three isn't unheard of.

I'd say about 70ss should be no problem. If it gets too cramped to do some marker schemes you could add 12" on one side or just change how far away from enemies they need to be to score.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ludvig said:

a lot of enforcers cost more than henchmen

And minions. :) Cost is only vaguely related to station. The thing about using multiple henchmen, that their ability to use SS is diluted, isn't diminished if you play larger games.

I would recommend mixing up the victory conditions in larger games, either come up with your own story encounter och use more than two schemes or something. If you just use the regular rules, chances are it will play just like a normal game, only it takes much longer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I field multiple henchmen all the time, a lot of enforcers cost more than henchmen. Two is more or less every guild list but three isn't unheard of.

I really enjoy fielding multiple henchmen too but when I do so I put myself at a disadvantage activation wise.  Especially since I play Ten Thunders. 

When time allows I will try a 70ss game. 

11 hours ago, Shintoninja said:

I have become very accustomed to playing a standard 50ss game.  I would to try a higher ss game simply because I think it would be interesting strategically. Less cards, more activations.  More reliance on straight flips higher ability scores and less cheating.  Not to mention the possibly of fielding multiple henchmen. 

To be honest, with more soulstones you're more likely to see the extra card draw models or the hand size increasing models.  So it's probably going to be the same amount of cheating flips.

And, really, at really large formats you'd probably want to increase the hand sizes anyway.  Just like the smaller formats reduce the hand sizes.

Otherwise you're going to run in to issues with making forced card discards better, as well...

Thunders have a lot of minions and enforcercers more expensive than Bettaru and Yamaziko ;)

I would imagine that abilities such as the gremlin bayou two-card and models with built in :+fate flips would increase in value rather than high-stats. High stats win out when you know you will be able to cheat, more flips wins if both hands are exmpty. 

In the first edition the standard game was about 35 stone. (Crews were about the same as the current 50 ss games)

I did play an 80 stone Brawl with 2 masters on a 3*3 table without any problems. That would probably be about 120 ss games in the new edition, if not a little higher, probably looking to 15-20 activations a side, although we found that with less cheating going on, relatively speaking, the activations went faster. And models died quicker. We finished it  in a similare time to a normal game in the end, but we did both know our models really well, so there wasn't much need to think what things could do. 

As people have said it does change to power of a few things. I hadn't considered that some 2017 scheme would be harder to score with more people, but thats the same for both sides. Most of the rulebook schemes should work at this sort of size with no need for change. 

ro5WzZcC

4 hours ago, solkan said:

And, really, at really large formats you'd probably want to increase the hand sizes anyway.  Just like the smaller formats reduce the hand sizes.

I haven't ever really heard of reducing or increasing hand size for SS cost of game.

What do you think a good base line would be? 

Minimum 4 cards for 35ss or less and an extra card per 10ss over 50ss. Maximum 10 cards.