Time to kick porks and chug moonshine, and I'm all out of moonshine

EpicWaffle

Hello everybody! 

I was thinking yesterday (after having a tournament a day before) how much an efficient elite crew hurts when you don't have the cards to defend its assault. I tend to play more an "achiving vp while annoying the opponent" style, cause I find it more bounded to Gremlin's style and generally more funny/satisfying, since it rely on your ability to play well strategically rather than drawing RJ each turn.

STILL, we got among the highest damage of all faction since even our cheapest minion (with the cost of a leg or two) can get to 6 severe damages, so it would be a shame not to make use of that from time to time.

Now, while I was thinking about what I stated in the beginning, there's one master that I fear the most among all which is Leveticus (cause a good Levi player will make you pass an ugly 2hours 90% of the times) so, in pure gremlinesque style, I tried to come up for a couple of list that would allow me to have a crew that "can" do what a Levi crew can (probably in a much more messy way).

I have all masters, but I decided to stick to Somer and Wong (I don't like Ophelia, and I played way to much Zipp lately so I need to take a break :D ), since they deal an absurd amount of damages, and tried to build up 2 similar ideas for both masters:

1)Somer (dirty cheater, do over, Encouragment) 6ss

2x skeeters

1x iron skeeter (airship spotlight)

Burt jebsen (dirty cheater)

Gracie (saddle) (could be substituted for the emissary)

Gremlin taxidermist (could be substituted with Sammy)

3x stuffed (or two Bayou)

Point of the list is having Somer going around with Gracie and Burt with the I.S., in order to maximize on their damage. The taxidermist is gonna stick in the back and select the right targets, in order to summon some Stuffed, keeping the number high and the Other stuffed are gonna try to lock down targets in order to allow Somer to blast off them. Skeeters are there to support and tie up models. You sure are not gonna rush off some schemes, but well set can be really unpleasantt o the opponent, if he can't retaliate. I think Somer is really good for these lists, since he can freely buff his crew and make it shine.

2)Wong (do over, ooh glowy) 5ss

Old cranky

Burt jebsen (dirty cheater)

Gracie (saddle)

Iron skeeter (spotlight/poorly handled)

Gremlin taxidermist (dirty cheater)

4x stuffed piglets (or 2 Bayou and a stuffed)

Same plan as before, with either Burt or Gracie being the glowy target (when Cursed swine are gonna come off, its gonna be nastier). For this list in particular, I took inspiration to what @maca1066 shared on Zipp thread and from this came out the one for Somer :)

If I'm able, I'll test one of these two tonight: these are really "brutal" lists, and in a heavy scheme scenario it might back fire, but I blast off stuff too sometimes :D hope to receive some feed back and thanks to anyone stopping by :) 

• Like 1

Your Som'er list is super card intensive, and you have no easy access to healing. IMO if you don't roll your opponent early you will probably die fairly easily.

If I want to play a super high damage offensive elite Som'er, my starting point is "Leveticusom'er" where you bring Sammy with Encouragement for Som'er to take the most advantage of it (he brings dirty cheater). Adding Old Cranky gives you a very efficient core with great card cycling, and only Som'er of those three is much of a burden on your hand. Burt & Francois to taste, typically with the assumption Francois will die I give him Stilts and On Yer Tiptoes to either delay it or occasionally force a hit through.

Bugs and Sloppies as usual. Add in a Banjonista if you're feeling daring.

Also make sure to bring one of Merris/First Mate/Fingers to easily run Claim Jump.

20 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

Your Som'er list is super card intensive, and you have no easy access to healing. IMO if you don't roll your opponent early you will probably die fairly easily.

If I want to play a super high damage offensive elite Som'er, my starting point is "Leveticusom'er" where you bring Sammy with Encouragement for Som'er to take the most advantage of it (he brings dirty cheater). Adding Old Cranky gives you a very efficient core with great card cycling, and only Som'er of those three is much of a burden on your hand. Burt & Francois to taste, typically with the assumption Francois will die I give him Stilts and On Yer Tiptoes to either delay it or occasionally force a hit through.

Bugs and Sloppies as usual. Add in a Banjonista if you're feeling daring.

Also make sure to bring one of Merris/First Mate/Fingers to easily run Claim Jump.

It might be that i've been playing a lot of Zipp lately (who sure likes to drop a whole hand in no time) but it doesn't seem to me to be so card intensive :) I mean, sure you won't save much but Somer (at least in my expiriences) never chug lots of cards and the all the TN in this team are ''not necessary'' aside maybe turn one. But it's a rough draft i made quite fast, so you might be right and I'll keep it in consideration :) about claim jump, I rarely do it unless i m in corner/flank, otherwise i prefer to take other schemes. The point of the list is litteraly to try to blow up your opponent and than/at the same time gain some points! I don't think I would ever play something like this in a tournament, or at least not without a reliable scheme runner, is something for fun on a casual game :) To make it more competitive, a bug or two will definetly make the cut somewhere, and the taxidermist should be substituted at least by merris for scheming potential, as you said :) 

2 hours ago, EpicWaffle said:

about claim jump, I rarely do it unless i m in corner/flank, otherwise i prefer to take other schemes.

My personal experience is that it's pretty much the easiest scheme in the game rn, at least for Gremlins who have so much access to 3AP or an additional way to move in order to let one model drop both markers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

My personal experience is that it's pretty much the easiest scheme in the game rn, at least for Gremlins who have so much access to 3AP or an additional way to move in order to let one model drop both markers.

With Somer and some summoning yes, but with others gets tricky cause it's easy to counter it. If you have activation advantage, it will surely get easy otherwise I don't feel much safe taking it.

12 hours ago, aquenaton said:

As a gremlin, you cannot run out of moonshine...

Back on topic, I agree that Levi can be devastating as he and his crew can make a lot of killing and getting aboms out of it. I also recommend thinking about that card advantage the others are suggesting. Also, the activation war will be problematic, as Levi can bring heavy guys and compensate with waifs and aboms to spare.

Let your models die, but on your terms, If Merris has done what you wanted her to do, and has activated, do not waste resources keeping her alive. A high card spent on that can be used to fulfill your machinations elsewere.

If the map looks promising, Rami can dictate your oponents placement, and it can be devastating if you force his waifs to remain hidden, as Levi will have his recursion affected.

Wong may be effective thanks to the magical condition against path of iron, but not so much against bone. Maybe Liquid bravery can protect you from the WP tricks?

Hope at least something of this helps!

I kinda disagree on rami just because of the predominance of trappers in outcasts list :| one focused shot and his down.

The rest is all good and it's what I keep in mind while against Levi :) in fact I generally bring elite crews with Zipp against him.

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, EpicWaffle said:

Had a game the other day against a Titania crew. Turn 3 he was left with 3 models (Titania, the primordial and a knight). Game ended there 7/2 for me. If you manage well your hands, it's really brutal as a list. Can see to switch off something, in particular the taxidermist if not needed.

Did you endless Somer or go Wong?

Lots of blasting off the Stuffeds, is there a way to avoid randomising to ensure hitting the Stuffed?

On 21 February 2017 at 10:25 AM, EpicWaffle said:

Now, while I was thinking about what I stated in the beginning, there's one master that I fear the most among all which is Leveticus (cause a good Levi player will make you pass an ugly 2hours 90% of the times) so, in pure gremlinesque style, I tried to come up for a couple of list that would allow me to have a crew that "can" do what a Levi crew can (probably in a much more messy way).

As seasoned Levi player I think I post in some similar topic Somer's list which would be deadly to Levi. I need to find it though...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Je ne c'est LaCroix said:

Did you endless Somer or go Wong?

Lots of blasting off the Stuffeds, is there a way to avoid randomising to ensure hitting the Stuffed?

I prefer Somer, since I still need to figure out how to work stuffs with Wong. And for your question, ope, that's the beauty of it :D an easy way is to put your model 3" form the target so you won't randomize but I generally give it a shot anyway. I usually force my opponent hand with Burt/Gracie before using Somer, so that when I randomize if I hit the opponent he will have hard time cheating high cards (generally, if he save those, it would mean that Burt/Gracie's target is dead ;) ).

• Like 1

Found it:

If you really want to hurt Levi try this crew:

Somer - Family Tree (6SS pool)

Francois - Dirty Cheater, Stilts

Burt - Dirty Cheater

Iron Skeeter

Slop Hauler

2x Bayou Gremlin

Pigapult

2x Stuffed Piglet or 1x Stuffed Piglet + 1x Mosquito

You should easily out-activate Levi's crew. Somer should focus on summoning two Gremlins on turn 1 and if possible kill one to get Pig and extra two cards. Then Pigapult should try to kill one Waif and Burt using Skeeter as a taxi should go for another one (if possible). If you do that Levi should be in big trouble as he would stay on the last Waif and really wouldn't like to be within 24'' of Pigapult with her.

• Like 1

True that! Also a Bayou with an I.S. equipped with poorly handled explosives is pretty brutal for waifs and cost less than a pigapult (tho if you add that to the mix it gets GORY).

Btw, I'm kinda on a Somer rush (again) and I'm trying out some new stuff, so I think I'll post here some crews ideas when I'm able to test them :) 

For example, tonight I had a game with a friend of mine playing Macmourning and used this (start was guard the stash, and then I took Dig their graves + claim jump as schemes, winning 10/3):

Somer (D.C., do over, family tree) 6ss

2x Skeeters

Gracie (saddle)

Burt (D.C.)

Iron Skeeter (poorly handled explosives)

3xBayous

Sloap Hauler

pretty much the summoning version of the elite Somer crew idea I posted before, and it worked out pretty awesomely! Great kill capability with Gracie pherrying  Somer and the I.S. doing the same with Burt (with occasional fasts), while also having enough activations to accomplish any scheme requiring interacts. Also, the combo I explained before with poorly handled explosives allowed me to put 4 damages on 5 different models turn 1!!

I'm glad I'm back playing Somer, cause he's sure super-fun to play (not that Zipp isn't, but we all know who's the boss), and I have lots of ideas to test, having more experiences with different pieces from mine and opponents factions :) same goes for anyone willing to share some dirty evil plan for our Big Green Boss ;) 

• Like 1

Eh eh :D I'm really getting attached to use do over with Somer! It's so great since he can deal some huge damage blasting but also because of the card draw! It's rare, but occurred to me a couple of times where I couldn't see a mask turn 1 even stoning! Being able to ditch that in case of emergency gets really useful! 

I'm actually having hard times not bringing it in any crew to be honest :D 

Had a game yesterday against a growth list Lilith, and I went for Somer since I wanted to try out a list ideas sudjested by Alex Schmid in his YouTube channel.

Strat was Interference, with Claim Jump, Dig their graves, leave your mark, hunting party, and cover breakthrough as schemes.

I went for Claim jump and leave your mark, with my crew being this:

Somer (do over, dirty cheater, family tree) 4ss

2x skeeters

Burt (dirty cheater)

Merris

3x Bayous

1xLighting bug

Pigapult

3xStuffed

The game ended 10-1 for me (he's still a beginner so he still needs to learn how to play around certain type of crews), with Merris single handily scoring 3points of claim jump, and a pack of 3 parachuted Bayous tied up his quarters to prevent him from scoring. The pigapult also melted Nekima turn 1, making her an easy target for Burt turn 2.

Over all, it was more a test for the pig-a-pult, since I avoided this model for so long; it worked out well, but it has a lot of downside. I guess that with a couple of extra games, it will be to me more clear when to use it and how, but for now it sure rocks in Interference.

Also, I'll be at a tournament this Sunday and I plan to bring Somer+Zipp, so if I use the Boss, I'll be sure to post something here too :)

• Like 1

So here's a question for you guys ( @daniello_s you in particular since you were an outcast player from what I understood):

how do you handle snipers? In particular, my nightmare, Trappers? 

We have a really good player in my community spamming a Levi list with 2 trappers and those two are so frustrating to play against. I'm not that lucky wit cards, and against Somer, if you plan to summon, they can be quite brutal being so efficient at shooting and can ruin your summoning core. So how would you play against something like this? what would your strategy be? Solutions that came to my mind are skeeter to fly in their face in order to prevent them fro, shooting (oh but wait, they can push away for a 0 :D ), or a pigapult loaded with stuffers (but it will take 3 shots to hit unless you hit a moderate/severe, thanks to that annoying armor 1).

They really are bothersome and I need to figure out a way out aside from playing Zipp when I'm against him :|

Trappers are really annoying I must admit and sometimes hard to deal with.

I would recommend two approaches: either use Rooster Riders or Wild Boars deployed up in the field to quickly intercept them or use your superior mobility |(Francois, Burt helped with Iron Skeeter taxi service) to grab them fast and kill them if they are deployed on your flanks.

Zzip should be good too - just grab them and throw them around.

5 hours ago, daniello_s said:

Trappers are really annoying I must admit and sometimes hard to deal with.

I would recommend two approaches: either use Rooster Riders or Wild Boars deployed up in the field to quickly intercept them or use your superior mobility |(Francois, Burt helped with Iron Skeeter taxi service) to grab them fast and kill them if they are deployed on your flanks.

Zzip should be good too - just grab them and throw them around.

That's the idea with Zipp (even walk and use the Airship works), but for roosters and wild boars, they're really not my kind of model :| I guess that with Somer, I need to wish for a well made field (so with the right amount of cover) and I should probably try to engage them with Skeeters (in a way that if they want to shoot, they need to push in a bad position or in an open space so that I can deal with them later), how does it sound for you? Cause from turn 2 and on, I'm fine with them, but it's the amount of pressure that 2 of them put which is frustrating (1 is still annoying, but bearable). I cam to the conclusion that I'm more scared by those two 6ss minions, rather than from Levi itself :D 

Engaging sometimes works, depending on the board. If they are in a vantage point or some form of cover near them, then you can often place yourself in a posiiton that pushing either isn't possible (becasue it has to be directly away from a model engaging it), or that means they no longer have LOS to the place they want to shoot. 

I'm going to assume that the Trappers are far enough away that they need to focus to hit you. If they are nearer, then you can probably kill them with volume of shooting. In which case they have 1 shot each, that will probably hit and do a straight damage flip. They need severe damage (or a ram) to kill a bayou gremlin, so that's more resources he is spending. What critical models in your crew have 5 or fewer wounds? 

Alternatively you can load up your pigapult with normal pigs and consider focus to get a cheatable daamge flip. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adran said:

Engaging sometimes works, depending on the board. If they are in a vantage point or some form of cover near them, then you can often place yourself in a posiiton that pushing either isn't possible (becasue it has to be directly away from a model engaging it), or that means they no longer have LOS to the place they want to shoot. 

I'm going to assume that the Trappers are far enough away that they need to focus to hit you. If they are nearer, then you can probably kill them with volume of shooting. In which case they have 1 shot each, that will probably hit and do a straight damage flip. They need severe damage (or a ram) to kill a bayou gremlin, so that's more resources he is spending. What critical models in your crew have 5 or fewer wounds? 

Alternatively you can load up your pigapult with normal pigs and consider focus to get a cheatable daamge flip. 

This was the idea,

if they're in plain sight,won't be too hard for me to get them, while if in cover I can force a push o a non favorable position.

Thanks for the tips :)