Why do I want the books?

Dirach

I have started Malifaux and played some games. I bought the rules only book and some miniatures as I didn´t want to invest to much if I didn´t like the game. The game seem to be complete with the cards and rules. Why would I get the four big rulebooks?

Is it for the background stuff? I don´t know the background from the material I have.

Does it have stats for all the miniatures?

Does it have scenanarios/rules that enchant the game?

Should I leave the books behind and focus on getting more miniatures?

It depends on the book. Outside of the fluff, book 1, the rulebook, has the rules and all of wave 1's unit cards. Book 2, Crossroads, has a boatload more unit cards - all of wave 2, which was abnormally large - and some scenarios. Book 3, Shifting Loyalties, has a very extensive progressive campaign system and all of the unit cards for wave 3. Book 4, Ripples of Fate, has all of the unit cards for wave 4.

Having all of the unit cards can be very helpful, if even only within your own faction, as you can look at the rules of the unit before committing to buying them. It also lets you see the rules for everything else in the game, so you can research what other factions can do that you might want to watch out for.

I haven't had the chance to try the campaign yet, but it looks like loads of fun. A lot like Mordheim.

I have a much easier time fighting against crews for which I have the books (in this case Crossroads and Ripples of Fate, two and four) since I have read the cards for their crews at my leisure, and therefore do not have to stop play every few minutes to ask what just happened*. You don't have to get them right away, or even all of them, but the one which has your steady opponent's crew might be a good buy sooner rather than later.

As it happened, I ended up fighting against a lot of wave one crews, and the big rulebook would have done me more good to teach the game than Crossroads, but my own crew was wave two and of course I wanted to see what was out there for my own stuff first. (The cards for all the masters are up on Wyrd's site now under 'miniature games: Malifaux' but back then they were not, and even then it's only masters' cards not full crews.)

I've only played the story encounters from the books once, which saddens me. Fight Night! was the right degree of stupid fun. If you want to play campaign style Shifting Loyalties (book three) has those rules. And being a bit of a fluff follower explained why I had to jump on book four as soon as it was released to stores***.

*Now it's just a few seconds of a healthy "that's even MORE broken than it looked in the book!"** before moving on and figuring out how to break it myself. :P

**And then my opponents shout it right back at me, because everyone gets their little moment of WTFnowaythat'slegal. *hugs Numb to the World upgrade (book four)* ;)

***I will never not stop being bitter about the spoiler, by the way. Or how things unfurled generally.**** :angry:

****I said I was sorry about the battle reports! And the snark about the writing contest! :mellow:

• Like 1