Seamus and his Friends

Go Canucks Go

Hello I'm starting up a Seamus Crew for a local Growth Campaign and would like to know if there's any other models I should consider? Would there be a model I wish I had that I currently don't? Any ideas on which models I should start with? We are using the Shifting Loyalties Campaign Book. Any help would be great as I'm new with the Seamus as well. I do have a ton of current models as I went a little overboard, just trying to be diverse and fun with him. Thanks.

Seamus

Copycat Killer

Madame Sybelle

Hanged

Nurse

Killjoy

Bishop

Izuma the Armor

Anna Lovelace

Flesh Construct

Crooked Men

Carrion Effigy

Carrion Emissary

Yin the Penangalan

Heyreddin

Bete Noire

Dead Doxy x2

Rotten Belles x3

Necropunks x3

Mindless Zombies x5

Seamus is great with his core box, really.  A couple of friends and myself are in a campaign right now, and I started essentially with his crew box + Datsue Ba.  She's a nice addition for his crew.  Her being able to summon Seishin really helps Seamus block line of sight so he can get Back Alley working.

The Hanged are great in general, but let me tell you, they're a pain in the ass in a campaign.  Increase their station to Enforcer so they can equip Decaying Aura, and there's a campaign ability that makes it so their damage can't be reduced.  So essentially, they always hit for 1/2 remaining wounds.

Hey, welcome to Seamus-land. We have cookies.

How familiar are you with the models you have? Either from playing them or from facing them across the table?

Of the models in your list, I recommend hiring the following:

Seamus

Copycat Killer

Madame Sybelle

Nurse

Rotten Belles x2

Yin the Penangalan

Anna Lovelace/Carrion Emissary

I recommend keeping the following on hand for summoning:

Dead Doxies x2

Rotten Belle x1

Mindless Zombies x 5

I don't know what upgrades you have beyond the Seamus box, so the hiring list leaves you quite a bit of room to play around with those. Everyone in that hire list except the Emissary has multiple Wp duels to keep Seamus alive. Depending how large your games are, you will need them to keep him alive or to capitalize on his Sinister Reputation aura.

I would acquire a crooligan if possible--often times I find the difference between crooligan and necropunk is whether I get another upgrade or start the game with 5 SS vs. 4 SS. 5 SS is a pretty sweet spot for Seamus, to give you trick potential, card cycle, initiative, and damage prevention. In GG 2017, most schemes won't require dropping multiple markers per turn, so the performance increase from Necropunk may not always be worth the 1 SS opportunity cost.

Familiarity will be a larger deciding factor than in game potential, I think, as growth leagues tend to have relatively fixed hiring pools for a while depending on your rules.

I'm sure Fetid Strumpet will come give his two cents as well soon, along with some other experienced Resser players. Take what everyone says with adjustment to what your play style is. I'm more of a manipulation player, so I tend not to run crews that constantly fight--I like to pick fights rather than brawl constantly.

Thanks guys, glad you actually mentioned this because I forgot to add that the only Upgrades I have are the ones that came with the Seamus Box, I was going to order some from the War Games Store can you recommend a bunch that I could use for Seamus and even if I need a double of something? I also have Reva to, does she need some different upgrades. Thanks again.

I find her meh personally. She brings something ressers don't have anywhere else in their options, card cycling on a relatively resilient model.

With Seamus her cursed blade becomes fairly reliable, if not all that damaging, providing a wp duel if needed, and her ability to shoot into combat without randomize from combos well with both rotten belle lure Shennanigans and for dealing with models that try to prevent Seamus from shooting by locking him in melee. Add incidental mindless zombie (for mobile summoning or jumping resources) or Seishin (mobile potential los blockers who effectively become ca6 wp duels within the sinister reputation aura) and you can see why she's popular. 

She is also a pretty good annoyance on crews that utilize pushes and placement effects as part of their overall strategy. While I don't bring her often she is almost auto include vs TT. They HATE having their pushes shut down.

• Like 1

For purchasing priority, I'd recommend the following:

1. Arsenal Decks Waves 1 & 2 for Ressers--Wave 1 is out of production, but it's worth picking up (if you can find it) for stat cards for other models that you can proxy and for the upgrades that came with it. I'm unsure if the generic upgrades come in the Wave 1 Generalist deck, hence its position as #2, but I know you don't get the stat cards with the generalist deck wave 1. The arsenal decks give you stat cards for all the book 1 & 2 models, along with general upgrades from those books. When I need to review model choices in crew building outside of gaming, I tend to shuffle through the stat cards to jog my memory and review. It's faster, and my organization method allows me to think in terms of model slotting. Lastly, a your picture shows a mix of metal and plastic, so the arsenal decks may be better bang for your buck.
  2. Generalist Decks Waves 1 & 2--these are not faction specific, and come with general upgrades for all the factions, with some errata'd cards. The wave 1 deck comes with campaign cards, which may or may not be useful to you. If you can't get the wave 1 arsenal deck, the generalist wave 1 deck is a good buy because I think it has the generic upgrades from books 1 & 2--you'll just lose out on the stat cards.
  3. Models--again, upgrades and stat cards ahead of time are generally better buys, so models are actually #3. Proxy and figure out what you like from what's been said and your own experimentation. Then buy models if you only care for the model for its play purposes. If you want to hobby with the model, this point shouldn't affect your decision much.

As a quick note for #3. Another reason to proxy and test models is to give you time to review how they actually play. Check the forums to see what the online/TO consensus is on how models work and see how your meta reacts. Make sure the models you want to play will in fact play the way you think. There are FAQ clarifications and errata that change how models play, and the available stat cards have not necessarily caught up to actual printings. 

6 hours ago, benjoewoo said:

For purchasing priority, I'd recommend the following:

1. Arsenal Decks Waves 1 & 2 for Ressers--Wave 1 is out of production, but it's worth picking up (if you can find it) for stat cards for other models that you can proxy and for the upgrades that came with it. I'm unsure if the generic upgrades come in the Wave 1 Generalist deck, hence its position as #2, but I know you don't get the stat cards with the generalist deck wave 1. The arsenal decks give you stat cards for all the book 1 & 2 models, along with general upgrades from those books. When I need to review model choices in crew building outside of gaming, I tend to shuffle through the stat cards to jog my memory and review. It's faster, and my organization method allows me to think in terms of model slotting. Lastly, a your picture shows a mix of metal and plastic, so the arsenal decks may be better bang for your buck.
  2. Generalist Decks Waves 1 & 2--these are not faction specific, and come with general upgrades for all the factions, with some errata'd cards. The wave 1 deck comes with campaign cards, which may or may not be useful to you. If you can't get the wave 1 arsenal deck, the generalist wave 1 deck is a good buy because I think it has the generic upgrades from books 1 & 2--you'll just lose out on the stat cards.
  3. Models--again, upgrades and stat cards ahead of time are generally better buys, so models are actually #3. Proxy and figure out what you like from what's been said and your own experimentation. Then buy models if you only care for the model for its play purposes. If you want to hobby with the model, this point shouldn't affect your decision much.

As a quick note for #3. Another reason to proxy and test models is to give you time to review how they actually play. Check the forums to see what the online/TO consensus is on how models work and see how your meta reacts. Make sure the models you want to play will in fact play the way you think. There are FAQ clarifications and errata that change how models play, and the available stat cards have not necessarily caught up to actual printings. 

If you are getting Arsenal decks wave 1 and 2, then you don't need the generalist upgrade wave 1 deck. (As it contains all the upgrades that previously were only available in those decks).

If you are not getting the arsenal decks, then generalist upgrade deck and 2 would be my recommended first buy. You can split them with other in your play group as they re upgrades for all 7 factions, 

I would only get the Arsenal decks if you are the sort of person who likes to have all the information of what does what. You will get all the model cards as you buy the models.

If you get both waves for the Arsenal decks, you will still need the generalist wave 2 deck. The former contain the content for Books 1-2. The latter contains the upgrade content for all seven factions, plus some errata'd cards, for book 4.

As for errata'd cards, none of them were resser cards. But, you'll want the generalist wave 2 deck for the new upgrades. My Little Helper comes with the generalist wave 2 deck and is a fairly popular upgrade for Reva and the emissary. It can also really help Seamus.

If you pick up the Arsenal decks, make sure the Decaying Aura upgrade you have matches the errata'd version--the no healing portion of its text is an aura 4, while the no SS prevention effect is now limited to the upgrade bearer's attacks, not an aura 4.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Fetid Strumpet said:

Decaying Aura

Unnerving Aura

My Little Helper

Would be the most common ones that are generic that I take. You'll also want to consider picking up Philip and the Nanny with the upgrade Haunting Cries.

Where do I get those two upgrades (My Little Helper and Haunting Cries) are they in Arsenal boxes?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 8:52 PM, Go Canucks Go said:

Does Philip and the Nanny work well with Seamus? I was considering picking him through Gazdooks gaming. I'm trying to stay away from Molly and just wanted to make sure he worked.

Why are you avoiding Molly? 

You can run Horror Molly decently with the model pool you have. She love Killjoy Sybelle, Belles, Doxies, Yin and with the Emissary, Mindless Zombies too.

Other than Phillip you'll also be getting Crooligangs in her box :)