Fleshing out a one-shot

Four_N_Six

I've finally convinced my game group to give TtB a chance.  In a couple of weeks, our Pathfinder campaign will end it's current act, giving us a chance for a break for a few weeks of down time before we start up the next act.  So, I've decided to do a one-shot (probably two sessions, since we don't get to play for long stretches at once).  Since the design is to do this as a one-ish time adventure, I want it to tell a good narrative while also leaving it open to continue on just in case they actually enjoy it (two other players play Malifaux, so we love the world, but the other three are completely in the dark).

That being said, I have a basic idea, but I haven't gotten the whole thing together yet.  Hoping some more experienced TtB players will be able to help this out.

Essentially, the group will be starting out getting contacted by someone in need of help.  Undead attacking his town and the guild isn't quick to help (probably due to the town having no value to them, and not being within the city walls).  As the players are on the way there, I'll probably have them get attacked by well-dressed hitmen trying to stop them from their mission.  Once they're at the town, they'll get clues that the undead aren't quite what they seem.  I'm hoping it takes until they're in combat and a zombie explodes that they finally realize they're Depleted, not Mindless Zombies.

That will give me options for them in the future if we continue on.  Have them head to the Honeypot maybe, or investigate Lynch or HG in the future.  In this scenario, I figure a few Depleted with one or two Illuminated will work out well enough.

So the main problem I'm having is fleshing it out to be a little bit longer, without going into the Honeypot or higher up the Brilliance ladder until we come back to it in the future.  I was thinking the person hiring them to clean up the town in the first place could be Tannen, luring them into a trap on purpose.  Though I'm stuck as to a reason for why he'd want to.  Maybe a new batch of Brilliance they're testing out?  Maybe he wants some stronger people to get addicted, as opposed to the townsfolk he's been working with up to this point?

It seems like the antagonists lack any sort of motive for what they're doing. Why are they attacking they town?

If they're trying to get people hooked on Brilliance, it seems easier to just dump some of it in the alcohol and wait, rather than launching an attack. Getting people hooked is probably more difficult in a siege situation, as people aren't drinking that much on the battle lines.

Also, Lynch tends to be more of a "make customers, not enemies" sort of fellow.

I think if you can get a solid motive for the antagonists, everything else will fall into place. I like the idea of people mistaking Depleted for zombies.

• Like 2

I was initially thinking about the group being brought in to cover up something in town, but wasn't sure what that could be.  Though a bad batch is a good idea, I might use that and elaborate a bit.  Maybe someone in town has information that could expose some of the more shady dealings of the Honeypot?