McCabe and the Wild Ones

Ravenphoenixxx

I'm a new player just getting around to opening his Wild Ones box from GenCon. I love the models in the box but all of the lists I see for McCabe, be it Ten Thunders or Guild have hardly any of the box figures in them, only Luna, with Guild Hounds. From there, the list vary wildly, but what I see mentioned of Sidir is that there are better models for the stones and no one really comments on how well Mounted Guard work with McCabe. Before I put all of the energy into putting together and painting these models, is it worth the effort, especially for the Ramones? If so, what kind of list would they play best in? Since the Mounted Guards are Guild, I figured this question best put to this forum but if anyone has Ten Thunders suggestions, I'm all ears. As always, thanks for your thoughts and opinions ;-)

We like Mounted Guard for the shared charge, but the non-nightmare sculpts have been so delayed we collectively gave up even the theoryfaux. The usual warnings about multiple 50mm bases and traffic jams apply.

I don't get use out of Sidir and his intercept only being usable once per turn, but some people do, and he was annoying enough to face in henchman hardcore that he would be worth assembling for smaller size games of that sort.

• Like 3

Mounted Guard are arguably one of the best 7ss models Guild has access to. They are very strong Melee and Support pieces for what they can do. Charge 10 with a 2 inch engagement makes them have a high threat range.

They compete now for the 7ss slot:

• Death Marshal Recruiters
  • Nino Ortega
  • Papa Loco 
  • Santiago Ortega    
  • Abuela Ortega     
  • Hunter
  • Exorcist    
  • Master Queeg
  • Guardian

Compared with the other models in this group the Mounted Guard is most comparable to the Hunter, but the similarities are very minor.

Mounted Guard prefer to be next to a heavy beater, such as Dr Grimwell or any model with a high charge. This is because of Cavalry Charge, where the mounted Guard can bring along a High Charge model into combat with him. And if the Mounted Guard gets the :mask trigger on his Melee attacks he can chain activate to that nearby model.

Mounted Guard are under reported models that need a lot more love than they already have. That being said a lot of topics discussing McCabe tactics involving Guild Hounds are from before the Mounted Guard models came out. I know several people who love to use the Mounted Guard, but as far as online discussion went during their initial rules drop it was very limited. There is also a very vocal McCabe/Luna player base. It used to be (and might still be) that when Recon or Interference were brought up that the go to Guild list was McCabe with Luna and 3-4 Guild Hounds to start.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ravenphoenixxx said:

I don't have easy access to the books at the moment; does anyone know off the top of their head what models have a charge that will let them move with the Mounted Guard (other than the aforementioned Dr. Grimwell)? That might give me somewhere to place my stones other than Sidir.

Illuminated, Hunters, Lone Marshal, Pale Rider, Greed.