Has GG2017 made the Emissary brilliant?

apes-ma

I used to take the Emissary because I love the model, but I never found it that great outside of Jack Daw. Now, though, I find myself glad I hired it MUCH more regularly. It does Claim Jump on it's own, and still gets to pop a shot off at someone each turn whilst doing it, and the trinkets are so good now - giving companion to something with a big punch makes dig their graves a bit more straight forward, don't mind me on something mobile helps collect evidence, pick up heads or get eyes on an opponent's master etc.

I don't really know what changed, since a lot of the new schemes are tweaks of old ones, and the strats are the same, but I find he just slots into crews so much better this time around.

• Like 1

Yes, oh yes. He just turns your cards in hand into free AP that never goes to waste

Hamelin? Free markers for kings, extra blighted at range

Schill? A mass Horror duel each round

Tara? Bury that ffm sucker and let wretches/aionus have at them, then burn them with Karina

Parker? He just loves that auto-trigger for slow that makes people not hit harder

Levi? Rider list is so much fun

Misaki? Both the aura and extra mobility allow for c-c-c-combos

Jack? Well, I've actually never got much use out of HPE in Jack, but that curse is gooooood

never played Viks, but what's wrong with extra pushes?

who'd have thought the donkey man would shine, but he's just that great in most setups

Add that to trinkets and Ca6 min damage 2 attack, HtK and regen?

granted, his Destined ability is mostly meh, but the rest of the kit is  pure gold

41 minutes ago, PositronMike said:

I really like the emissary and used him in most of my outcast crews last year. GG2017 does look like it has given him a buff which is good. On the destined action I actually really like it as it is a way to get 3 markers out of the emissary in one activation which can make some schemes much easier.

The trick with The Piecing together is that he can target himself with it.

Any additional models he pushes are a bonus.

But that's still Search the Ruins, Set Up or Hidden Trap done for 3 VP by a single model, provided he survives until end of the game. 

But gradually people will learn to just murder him asap, like they do with Carrion

6 hours ago, Nukemouse said:

Von Schill needs the emissary. Removing randomization for ANY model within 4 of him is crazy considering you want papa schill to be engaging things (makes it very easy to set things up with can opener) and the ability to use schills shirt every turn is brilliant.

That's definitely true, however between Hannah, Emissary and Strongarm or Lazarus I find it so hard to fit into Von Schill unless the scheme pool requires no killing at all. I often feel the loss of a heavy hitter (which is what I replace with Emissary), and Hannah seems way too good in the crew to not include.

3 hours ago, apes-ma said:

That's definitely true, however between Hannah, Emissary and Strongarm or Lazarus I find it so hard to fit into Von Schill unless the scheme pool requires no killing at all. I often feel the loss of a heavy hitter (which is what I replace with Emissary), and Hannah seems way too good in the crew to not include.

Neither SAS nor Lazarus are heavy hitters, their stat 6 attacks are average at most (I mean, look at Neverborn stats!), but they're both good tanks. You actually don't use much firepower when you drop one of them. 

Sorry, but I must disagree. If the only heavy hitter are those with attack 7, only Ashes & Dust and The Nothing Beast could be considered heavy hitters (out of masters). Not the Desolation Engine, Killjoy, the Sabertooth (yes, I know that it's Arcanist, but is an example)... 

I think both SAS and Lazarus are heavy hitters. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seadhna said:

Neither SAS nor Lazarus are heavy hitters, their stat 6 attacks are average at most (I mean, look at Neverborn stats!), but they're both good tanks. You actually don't use much firepower when you drop one of them. 

I mean they don't have 7 stats, but those are super rare in outcasts (just ashes and dust and nothing beast I think. I'm not counting leve since he can't be hired...) - I guess I just mean they have a good damage track. But yeah, maybe I'll try swapping them for emissary a bit more frequently and see how I get on.

There's no dictionary definition but when I think of a heavy hitter I think of a nasty damage track with a reasonably high attack stat to go along with it. 6 is good enough for that if you're not after Lilith. Min damage 4, 'high' severes, +10 damage on red joker, able to ignore defensive tech... Things like that.

The SAS certainly fits those criteria. 3/5/7 Ml 6 that either ignores non-soulstone reduction or gets a :+fate to damage is nice.

Hearing stuff without maxed stats get talked down on gives me flashbacks to when I played WHFB. Anything with Leadership <10 was mocked as low-Leadership, when that was basically everything that wasn't a Lord character.

My definition of heay hitter is.

Do I believe that it can dash out at least 7 Damage per activation. How it does so? I dont care.
Killjoy has only me6 but minimum damage 4 and I can count on him at least getting 2 hits through in a single activation.
Nothing beast has awfull minimum damage but ca7 and max damage 7 so i'm pretty sure that hell be able to get 2 hits with 2 times medium or 2 hits with weak and severe through.
Ashes and dust has only minimum damage 3 but me7 so i'm pretty sure that i get around 8 damage out of him as well.

And kinda weird but montresor became some kind of heavy hitter to me as well, he can walk once, focus and get his maximum damage 7 shoot off pretty consistently.

12 hours ago, Bakunin said:

Vanessa has 7 Ca as well as blasts.

With a severe damage of 4 I don't think I would consider her a 'big hitter', even if she should be hitting moderate at minimum, especially when on the centre line. 

Heck, the Trapper has a higher maximum damage, and with the built-in positive flip he's effectively Sh7....hmm...we've had a thread on 'what's an interference' model, do we need a 'what's a big hitter'? :P

The hard part with the Emissary is that Outcasts have so many awesome 10SS models that it becomes a tough decision. 

I'd love the emissary, I just can't really justify spending more on one model than an entire crew box.  Keeping an eye out if one of the old Outcasts Avatars appears cheap somewhere as a legal proxy. 

4 minutes ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

Heck, the Trapper has a higher maximum damage, and with the built-in positive flip he's effectively Sh7....hmm...we've had a thread on 'what's an interference' model, do we need a 'what's a big hitter'? :P

Might as well, we'd stop derailing this thread at least.

• Like 1