McCabe with Wave 4 + GG17- What do we have?

qoob

Heya everyone. 

I haven't seen any discussion regarding McCabe with all the new stuff we've got. 

I think that Yasunori is a great addition to his hiring pool. 

The Terracotta Warrior is ok imo. Switching around some upgrades seems good. 

I was thinking adding Kamaitachi to his crew. TW + Weasel combo looks great on paper.

What is your approach? Any new crews? Some ideas what schemes to take? What schemes is he good in? 

Cheers!

Terracotta Warrior lets you do goofy tricks to get multiples of the same McCabe upgrade, but it also lets you adapt to your opponents. I've played with McCabe holding Promises + 3x Strangemetal Shirts which was silly. I've also played McCabe with a "floating upgrade" that I switched between one of his handouts and then when the model holding it died, I flipped it to Promises. Terracotta Warrior is amazing and brilliant and I would nearly always bring one with him imo. Plus since Luna is a minion, you can use her a little bit more aggressively and have the Warrior use Mold of the Other on her to keep her safe and keep your hounds from being Insignificant.

Kamaitachi is just great and a must-take imo if you're not going to do tricks with Luna (either barbs + shooting McCabe or hound spam).

I think Badge of Speed will help a lot for Claim Jump, if you can have a nimble scheme runner get somewhere safe it can be a pretty simple one to manage each turn with just one model. Sadly, Eliminate the Leadership is a bit good against him, scoring 2 points is pretty easy compared to vs other masters. He can probably also do Frame For Murder pretty decently, give a cheap model some annoying upgrades and push it right up there in your opponent's face so they have no choice but to deal with it.

26 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

Terracotta Warrior lets you do goofy tricks to get multiples of the same McCabe upgrade, but it also lets you adapt to your opponents. I've played with McCabe holding Promises + 3x Strangemetal Shirts which was silly. I've also played McCabe with a "floating upgrade" that I switched between one of his handouts and then when the model holding it died, I flipped it to Promises. Terracotta Warrior is amazing and brilliant and I would nearly always bring one with him imo. Plus since Luna is a minion, you can use her a little bit more aggressively and have the Warrior use Mold of the Other on her to keep her safe and keep your hounds from being Insignificant.

Kamaitachi is just great and a must-take imo if you're not going to do tricks with Luna (either barbs + shooting McCabe or hound spam).

I think Badge of Speed will help a lot for Claim Jump, if you can have a nimble scheme runner get somewhere safe it can be a pretty simple one to manage each turn with just one model. Sadly, Eliminate the Leadership is a bit good against him, scoring 2 points is pretty easy compared to vs other masters. He can probably also do Frame For Murder pretty decently, give a cheap model some annoying upgrades and push it right up there in your opponent's face so they have no choice but to deal with it.

I'm going to try the Emissary with Yasunori. Badge of Speed on Yasunori, Fast Push on Yasunori. We almost created a perfect Howard Langston 

EDIT: Add a Mounted Guard in the mix - Cavalry Charge with Yasunori seems potent. 

Emissary and Yasunori work really fine. I like to take them with Lynch, add Huggy and Sensei Yu and you have an expensive, but horrifyingly strong beating force.

The combination of mounted Guards and Yasunori is on top of my whislist for testing as well. The combined charge seems just so wrong in addition to all these pushes... I like it :D

McCabe... oh sweet McCabe. I feel like he's been gifted the holy grail with the new schemes. There is literally nothing that he isn't able to do in GG0217. Combined with our pool of awesome Wave 4... he's going to be just bananas. Here's a quick (haha, right... this is me we are talking about) breakdown:

As always... TL;DR McCabe GOOD!!!!! Edits courtesy of @Tris

STRATEGIES

Extraction - Solid due to puppy spam, an Armor aura and his upgrade Promises.

Interference - More puppy spam and the ability to pimp out your minions so they trade above their weight. Also his badge of speed and black flash can make a quick minion suddenly denying a quarter out of nowhere via engagements or what have you.

Headhunter - Still not the strongest strat for him, as we have a lot of throw away minions typically in his list, but he does have the speed and pushes to nab those heads as well as the damage output to drop them in the first place!

Guard the Stash - Great for McCabe... see Elixir and Shirt with Promises. The bubble is real. Be a real jerk with Terracotta Warrior and an Emissary for TWO shirts, and thus two bubbles of "get off my lawn".

Collect the Bounty - Middle of the road. We run minion heavy typically for this... and they hit above their weight. But be careful because puppy spam can give a quick couple of points to our opponent forcing us to have to go in thick to try to take out an enforcer to even the score.

SCHEMES

Claim Jump - This is a 10T scheme in general. We have plenty of options for getting it done, but giving a badge of speed to any stalwart minion with Wk 4+ will still get it done. Drop, nimble, drop... boom.

Eliminate the Leadership - Two words: Black Betty. Proper hand setup and some positioning with badge of speed and bye bye leader. Or at the least... hello massive amounts of damage. Otherwise, I generally think we have better options than this. But McCabe enables so fantastic heavy hitting. Torakage may finally have a permanent role beyond Lust spamming with Lynch! EDIT: Be wary of your opponent picking this... McCabe is easy pickings for this scheme. REALLY easy (you sometimes want to sac him!)

Accusation! - With the ability to get pretty dug in with your opponent, this is generally a pretty solid pick. Elixir and Shirt add some much needed toughness to some of our options, allowing you to really get in there. Also having access to some Guardsman means that you have access to Queeg... and he has some fun with this one.

Dig their Graves - Badge of Speed and Black Flash make this a fairly solid option. It's pretty easy to setup with a nimble minion, and then capitalize on the following activation. I actually really like Yokai with a sword for this. They can 0 action to place out of combat, drop the scheme marker, and then charge in with :+fate to attack with a lightsaber. Seems legit.

Leave your Mark - Puppy spam with Black Flash... easy peasy and lemon squeezy. Yokai are also great here just in general due to their speed.

Frame for Murder - This is practically an auto take for McCabe. Put it on a puppy (or other cheap minion) load it up with reactivate and a sword and dive in. They can't ignore it. Just make sure you tie up a master or henchman for the full 3VP.

Covert Breakthrough - See LyM... Puppies and Yokai can litter scheme markers in your opponent's backfield. 

Undercover Entourage - I'm pretty certain (please correct me) that McCabe is McCabe regardless of whether he is mounted or not... which makes this a solid scheme to gun for. The Promises multiple shirt trick with terracotta warriors makes this evil... because an Armor 2 McCabe with :+fate to Wp and Df 7 is pretty hard to shift.

Show of Force - We have silly tricks with this scheme. Emissary's relic upgrade counts for this. And upgrades swapped out by terracotta warrior count for this (unless I missed an errata). So this is kind of an auto-take for McCabe as well. You can easily get 3-4 upgrades floating about that count for this.

Hunting Party - Emissary is a big take for McCabe and he likes one henchman. But our heavy lifting tends to be minions... so just think carefully how you are going to go about this one. Yasunori with Emissary in a McCabe crew is a thing...

Hidden Trap - YMMV... this scheme is fairly easy to telegraph if you aren't careful. But with reactivation and nimble, as long as you are winning the activation war, fairly easy to lock in. Especially with the pushes so prevalent in McCabe's crew. If you aren't bringing Luna, that wonder weasel helps as their minion push for discarding a card is VERY useful for schemes like this.

Recover Evidence - Sun Quiang and Performers... McCabe gives the performers some bite, and their utility is actually really good with him. I just want to give Sun Quiang a shirt and let him wander off healing people and picking up evidence in the process...

Set Up - Another easy one to telegraph, but we have a naughty trick here... Yokai with a badge of speed can one turn this on an enemy model that doesn't have reach 3" (assuming I've done my math right! :D). McCabe tosses the badge, and pushes the yokai into drop position 1. activate the yokai next (assuming your opponent didn't smite it for recognizing this) and drop your marker. Then use their 0 action to place just on the tippy edge of 3" away, which with your base size will put you at just past 4" and then let you drop a second one for free. Then just nimble on over to your next position (forming a triangle, the only way to ensure all three markers are at 4" apart) and drop your third. Alternatively, just take advantage of reactivating puppies at the end of the turn and do the same thing :D

Search the Ruins - Solid choice for McCabe. We can remove models and push out of engagement easily. 

Mark for Death - YOKAI!!!!!!!!!!! McCabe always wants to be in the thick.  And you can always run up dogs and just pepper mark for death on their models... 

Tail 'em - We have pushes, reactivate, a love of minions and nimble... easy peasy lemon squeezy. EDIT: Same for you though! McCabe likes to be in the middle of everything!

Inspection - I hate this scheme in general... but we have good questions for your opponent. Send someone to deal with our puppies, or laugh as they score 3 easy victory points... And if they do send someone there... well it's just a puppy. Whaaaat? Alright fine... then badge of speed nimble a beater over and save the poor pooch!

A Quick Murder - Nimbled beaters with fast from the Emissary can do a lot of things... especially when you can just throw a lightsaber puppy in their face to soften it up.

Last Stand - This is a weird one, and one of the only schemes I'm not really fond of. But McCabe can still bring the goods here. We have a lot of models that help with this, including yokai who flicker out and the terracotta who we can sacrifice by not preventing mold from the other damage. with solid beater enforcers, chiaki and an emissary, it's doable... not ideal, but doable. 

Bonus comment!!!

Armor 2 on yasunori is amazing, even if it means losing out on his amazing 0 actions. He's already hard as nails to deal with... that with mold of the other is just RUDE.

• Like 3

One word on eliminate the leadership and Tail `em - I find both of them easy to score against McCabe, so watch out there :)

But yeah, McCabe is, as ever, a very good generalist, able to do it all^^ (and I can only imagine the new synergies in TT, as I play him only in Guild ;) )

• Like 1

6 hours ago, qoob said:

Tested McCabe a little bit lately. Mounted Guard is not as good as on paper (in Combo with Yasunori). Yasunori is way too fast for the Guard to catch up. I think  a Katanaka Sniper will take his place.

I like mounted guard a lot, but I find their drag to not always be the most awesome trick in their book. Though we do have a few surprisingly fast charge minions that are cute with it. 

19 hours ago, InvokeChaos said:

I like mounted guard a lot, but I find their drag to not always be the most awesome trick in their book. Though we do have a few surprisingly fast charge minions that are cute with it. 

They are nice, no doubt - but not for what I wanted them to do :( A reactivated Sniper is more of a threat

I've been running this:  

McCabe: Promises, Badge or Sabre, 2ss upgrade that gets replaced.

Luna

4x guild hounds

Yasinori, smoke grenades

Shadow Emissary, conflux of Exploration (takes Badge or Sabre, which ever McCabe doesn't take).

Terracotta Warrior

I find that terracotta switching one upgrade on mccabe to either a second badge or second sabre, is fantastic.  The list moves very quickly with the extra nimble, and you can push Yasinori 12" and give him fast and nimble.

• 7 months later...
Just now, Bumpasses said:

Can someone explain the terracotta trick of having two instances of the same upgrade please?

The ability from the TW (ancient treasure)

states "following all of the usual restrictions for attaching upgrades at the start of the game"

So I'm not understanding how this is working.

Ty

-B

McCabe's upgrades aren't rare, but the thing that prevents you from taking more than one of the same is that they are restricted to McCabe and a single model can't have more than one copy of the same upgrade. The Emissary also makes sure the upgrade you attach isn't attached to any other models. But if you have, say, the Glowing Sabre on McCabe and you throw it away to another model, McCabe no longer has the Sabre attached, so you look at the upgrade restrictions: firstly he is McCabe so you can attach the Sabre, and secondly he does not already have a Sabre attached. Then he can throw that one out and get a third if he wants.

• Like 3

I'm actually very surprised this wasn't touched on in the July errata. It seems a clear violation of Rules As Intended. I feel like as Malifaux continues TC Warrior is going to become a larger problem in the design space. Just the fact that it finds a place into so many lists is probably proof of that. 

idk, I feel like it's going to stay. If it was something that the design team didn't want in the game, why didn't they errata it this January? I'm certain they knew about it back then, I know I was posting about it pretty much as soon as I got my hands on the rules and worked it out.

And it's not particularly game breaking, it's a novelty more than anything. Sure you can have four sabres or badges but you are then giving up some of the utility that different upgrades bring.

• Like 2

They were redesigning half the guild in january so it wouldn't be that shocking if they didn't bother. Since it isn't causing problems they might not want to issue errata cards for all his upgrades since people seem to get really mad about errata. They could just have the faq state that any upgrade which doesn't mention a rare rating is considered rare 1 since that would solve most issues. I think all the errata upgrades have a rare rating or are for named models so effectively rare 1 anyway.

Who needs utility when you have three sabres and promises in a collect the bounty game :P I'd almost be tempted to hire a malifaux child and use double wastrels with sabres near McCabe with promises and the badge of speed. You need to luck out and get a 9+ of rams for it to work but holy hell to have 8 min damage 4 attacks ignoring most defenses.

• Like 2