Thoughts on KE units in Aby Kassa?

RMK

What should Kassa bring from KE to an Abyssinian army?

I am totally sold on the big stompy robot squads (Mechanized Infantry and Steel Legion). I pledged a dual commander and I am debating if there is value in choosing KE for  the other half of my dual commander. 

I see Kassa bringing one of each titan squad, two steel legion, or three mechanized infantry being powerful choices, but if I run her as Abyssinia I can bring in 25 scrip of KE and I'm not seeing what value they bring to Abyssinia.

Part of me says get the Cult as the second army and still have all my stompy robots and an Malifaux faction for a totally different feel. 

Are you planning on bringing KE units to an Aby army? 

If you're looking to bring in KE units you'll be building a little differently than if you had kassa as KE and brought in abyss units. Example: as KE, kassa would probably target either a steel legion squad or mech infantry and rock 2 kings hands. The other approach will be all abyss Titans, something like dual dreads and steel legion or mech infantry, but the units brought in from KE will serve a different purpose. If I had to pick though, it would be something like dragoons or grenadiers. They both have synergies with Abyssinia and seem like solids picks all around. Just my opinion.

I think what I am seeing is that KE units have some low AV on their attacks peaking around 6 with most being 5 and lower. That will make them hard to glory if they're taken in an Abyssinian army since they need to be 6 over their opponents stat + flip. 

Infiltrators seem like they could be promising. Their actual attack isn't going to win any prizes, but stripping "good" tokens from your opponent and replacing them with bad ones could be handy. Field Intelligence Corps can also help strip your opponent's hand, turning the low-value cards you draw off the Allegiance Tome trigger into hand burners.

Overall, I think bringing over combat squads excepting a few instances will be less useful than the powerful utility squads, unless you have a specific role for the combat squads. I'm thinking Kassa taking Steel Legion or Mech Infanity into KE for Titan synergy, or Grenadiers into Abyssinia for enemy Titan hunting / clearing up chaff with their area attack.

Hi everyone!, I quote from here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9/posts/1777215

"Because I know everyone's been wondering, I thought I'd also share the Dual Allegiance Commanders, Kassa & Horomatangi.

When you take a Dual Allegiance Commander, they are able to hire Squads (and only Squads) from either of their Allegiances, but the forces they bring in cannot exceed 50% of their Scrip. They also do not gain the benefit of the other Allegiance's card, but may gain access to some of the rules from the current Allegiance card.

Keep an eye out for cool combinations and additions! For now, let's take a look at these Commanders."

Well, if you play double commander in Aby you could easily deploy four or five titans, which seems hilarious for me.

Kassa in KE allegiance only can bring one titan (12 Script max), either Steel Legion or Mechanized infantry. There are no more choices availaible, and personally, I think is fair.

And Kassa in Aby can bring until 12 points of KE squads. I see two ways: disruption with infiltrators and Field Intel corps or quick punch with dragoons.

4 hours ago, Fremen said:

Hi everyone!, I quote from here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9/posts/1777215

"Because I know everyone's been wondering, I thought I'd also share the Dual Allegiance Commanders, Kassa & Horomatangi.

When you take a Dual Allegiance Commander, they are able to hire Squads (and only Squads) from either of their Allegiances, but the forces they bring in cannot exceed 50% of their Scrip. They also do not gain the benefit of the other Allegiance's card, but may gain access to some of the rules from the current Allegiance card.

Keep an eye out for cool combinations and additions! For now, let's take a look at these Commanders."

Well, if you play double commander in Aby you could easily deploy four or five titans, which seems hilarious for me.

Kassa in KE allegiance only can bring one titan (12 Script max), either Steel Legion or Mechanized infantry. There are no more choices availaible, and personally, I think is fair.

And Kassa in Aby can bring until 12 points of KE squads. I see two ways: disruption with infiltrators and Field Intel corps or quick punch with dragoons.

While the quote makes it sound like dual Kassa can only ever bring 12 scrip of squads from her other allegiance, Wyrd stated when asked, that dual commanders can bring half of the total scrip, not just half of their own. So in a two commander game Kassa could bring 25 scrip of KE squads to Abyssinia (or the other way around).

• Like 1

From the kickstarter page.   The confusion I guess is who is doing the hiring.  I'm pretty sure it's Kassa (so only 12 scrip worth of KE) but I'm open to being wrong.

Hmm, well, that makes Kassa and Horo a touch more interesting. I think though, it'll mean more "titan" units into KE most of the time, 25 instead of the 12 I originally thought means instead of a single Steel Legion or Mech Infantry, you could take 2x Steel, 1x Steel and 1x Mech, or 3x Mech into KE.

Not too sure about KE into Abyssinia, though. Her bonuses seem to favor "Titan"-heavy forces, (I think...can't find the bloody update with her stat card and upgrades), so I think KE -> Abyssinia is going to be a touch more limited, the support units as I mentioned. You *could* go "Titan" light in an Abyssinia army with Kassa, and have her...focus on one? I think the more one takes, the more bang for the buck one is going to get, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Can I get an explanation on how Alliance cards work with Dual commanders please? If I have Kassa and Unathi as my leaders, but I declare Kassa as KE, what Alliance rules are my units following? Do my KE units use the KE Alliance card and Aby use their own; ie the both Glory as usual, other than Kassa that would Glory using either KE rules or her asset?

There are two relevant cards here, Allegiance and Envoy.  Envoy is like the dual faction/mercenary rule for TOS and it both lets you hire units from that other Allegiance and gives them some (but NOT all) of the rules on their own Allegiance card.  Anything you hire with the Envoy usually doesn't get any of the benefits from the other Allegiance card.

You can't declare one Commander as being a specific Allegiance, you just declare which is your entire company's Allegiance at the start and then take a valid Envoy (in this case your Allegiance is Abyssinia and your Envoy is Empire).  So you can hire anything from Abyssinia and Squads from the Empire, but neither of them get any of each other's benefits: the Empire Squads can't get Prototypes, and the Abyssinians can't use their guns as melee attacks.  The only exception is Kassa herself, since she's dual faction she gets the benefits of both cards, including both ways to go to Glory.

Can Abssynian Kassa not hire the Kings hand Titan with the Kings Empire envoy as it says squad and the Kings hand does not? This seems against her intent.

Kassas preview card has a margin trigger on her emergency repairs action on her glory side, but that action doesn't have a duel and thus no target number. How does she achieve this margin?

• 4 weeks later...

I was having a play around with a few lists trying to think what extra holes kings empire units might be able to help fill and I had a few thoughts I'd like to try. One thing I'm not sure of is if adjuncts can be added to units hired through envoy, if so I'd add sharpshooters to some of the long ranged squads.

Field intelligence corps: Could help provide some extra pressure on the opponents hand with the potential for some extra card draw. Also could provide some long ranged supporting fire (Abyssinia ranged weapons are mostly mid range).

Royal Rifle Corps: Provides good long ranged fire support. Their good defensive stats and point blank on their glory side means could be hard to beat if they're holding your objective marker in scavenge.

Empire dragoons: Could help add offensive output to a more mobile force with the lord of steel, baso cav and crow runners. Would be fairly resilient and could help achieve the manifest destiny stratagem.

South Wales Borderers: Not sure I'd want to hire them as their defensive stats make them a bit of an easier target than the rest of Abyssinia. Could be interesting to summon with the behind enemy lines stratagem. The two reinforcement tokens could bring back 4 of them bringing them back up to nearly full strength, making them a really annoying tar pit in the enemy deployment zone early in the game. Also the models look cool.

There are a few units I'm not convinced by at the moment:

Infiltrators: Crow runners have more mobility, higher defensive stats and can be outfitted with prototypes. Token manipulation on enemies might be useful. 

Grenadiers: Abyssinia has a lot of strong mid ranged shooting units.

Motor scout: Low defensive stats could make easier target compared to Abyssinia units, lack of rapid manoeuvring on the envoy card limits ability to zip around shooting.