Aspiring Commanders

TaTaR

As I'm really interested in this game I read a lot of posts here and on Kikstarter and there was a discussion about  "Entry price" that is quite high for this game. Maybe a sollusion would be to realese a set of Aspiring commanders as battle boxes. This commanders could buy 12 Scripts of army. This would be a commander, a unit of 2x3 (30mm), a unit of 2x3 (40mm) and a champion + some assets. With a booklet containing rules witout fluff this should be possible to sell it at a price of other games battleboxes. This would allow to catch the impuls buyers and people who are looking for something new. For players who are already playing this would allow to play a "1,5" commander games.

The main problem seems to be the game is based around one commander and their full allotment of scrip spent being the minumum to have a balanced game. It's easier for Malifaux because Henchman led 20ss lists are a game type, which makes it easy to do 4 model henchman led crews in a small starter. Doing one commander and one squad each for two players might be cheap, but it's not representative at all of the gameplay, potentially to the detriment of the game to turn people away.

What they needed in the kickstarter, and potentially at retail, was a dual Champion level. Two Allegiance boxes and a rulebook for $150, leaving out the Titans and second rulebook from the Dual Commander level and with no stretch goals. It's still high, but low enough to be on the upper end of what two people might spend to split the contents.

I don't perse dissagree with the statements made, a two player box would indeed be an ideal way to start out with ANY army game. Granted I believe that the Malifaux two player box also took a significant ammount of time to actually be part of the game?

Personally I do have a really good plan on how Wyrd can still bring out a VERY INTERESTING two-player starter box... :D 

They've definitely shown interest in a 2 player starter box before, and if the only thing holding them back from it is trying to find a way to do it and still have a balanced game I'm sure they'll find a good way to do it in the future.  Maybe not at launch, but with about 1500 players around the world we should be able to build the hype before then.

• Like 1