Multiversum Wanted - Boards and Terrain

Nimo

Hi,

for our first Malifaux Tournament [Multiversum Wanted] in march, we want to build a little bit more cool Terrain.

A few acceptable boards are already present at our local club, but we want more. In this post we want to share this process with you.

There is for now one desert, one city/Cobblestone and one winter themed board on the schedule.

Today I started building a few bits for the desert board.

Because I didn't want some boring sand or texture paste alone, I decided to experiment a little bit with some dry/cracked earth effects.

Recently I stumbled upon a nice technique, utilizing bandages and plaster:

W-ste-dry-earth-03.JPG

You coat the bandages with a thin layer of a plaster and sand mix, let it dry and break it. The bandages hold the pieces together. So you can trim them into desired sizes and glue them onto the board. After they are completely dry and glued onto the board, the Edges will be blended with more plaster to provide a smooth transition. After that I will probably seal everything with some watered down white glue and put some texture paste onto the rest of the board.

Next I started the first piece for a "desert-forest".

Kaktus-01-WIP-01.JPG

I want to build some cactus forest. By sculpting one to three different cactus in Fimo and making moulds for them. I optimistic it will pay off.

That was the first few bits for the Tournament boards. A few Ideas are quicksand-pool, boring rock-formations and some normal forest-pieces.

• Like 5

Board building continues ...

After the dry-earth-patches had been completly dry, i cut the excess bandages and glued them randomly onto the board. Next time I'll do that a bit differently and try to get something like a river bed.

W-ste-dry-earth-05.jpg

Next, I blendet the Edges with plaster and applied a mix of sand, glue and a little bit plaster onto the other parts of the board, to get a nice texture.

W-ste-dry-earth-06.JPG

I painted the board with some heavily diluted sand-colored paints in different brightness variations. This got me a nice natural looking base paint. In the End i drybrushed everything with a light sand color tone and an (almost) white color.

W-ste-dry-earth-07.JPG

I like the way it turned out. As mentioned, there are a few little things I will do different the next time, but overall I am happy with the way it looks.

The cactus got a little love, too. I sculpt an additional one, bigger and with two arms.

Kaktus-02-WIP-01.JPG

Furthermore I made 2-part molds for both catus.

Kaktus-Formen.JPG

• Like 7

I wasn't lazy during the weekend, and cast a lot of cacti

Kaktus-Wald-02.jpg

The Bases for my Cactus-Forest were made out of two layers of thin mdf. I cut a few circles out of the top layer and glued the cactus onto them with some hot glue. After that the Bases were covered in texture-paste.

Kaktus-Wald-04.jpg

Kaktus-Wald-07.JPG

During all of that, one idea was itching in my head. So i had to sculpt a few little pits quickly:

Kaktus-Wald-05.jpg

The first "forest" is already painted:

Kaktus-Wald-08-erster-fertig.JPG

The Earth was made similar to the board. The Cactus got a basecoat of dark green with some little (wet-in-wet) shadows, before drybrushing them with a mix of green and sand-color.

• Like 7

The last to evenings, Greebo and myself started the Cobblestone-/City-Board.

Stone by Stone, we glued little cardboard pieces onto the board. It was hell of a lot of work, but it turned out quite nice. In the middle of the board is a little monument for all the workers who died while building this place ;-)

Pflasterstein-Platte-WIP-01.JPG

We left some gaps an holes here an there. They will be filled with some earth-texture, to provide a old, broken, quarantine-zone like look.

Although a while ago I thought about possibilities, to get a forest onto a City-Board, without looking strange.

Stadt-Wald-01.JPG

This is the prototype I made. I think the tiny wall will blend the forest quite nice into the city theme.

• Like 8

This week I painted the city board.

Plasterstein-Platte-finished-1200.JPG

The little clumps of grass were a little bit tricky. I wanted to have a bit of vegetation, but messing around with static grass on a large board ist always so messy. Sure I could have bought finished clumps, but somehow I never liked spending money on such few clumps of gras. So I tried do make my own.

Gras-B-schel.jpg

Onto a smooth, non-sticky surface (here aluminium foil, but next time I'll use something like package tape or tesastrips) I applied some drops of white glue an static grass on of them. Because I do not own a electrical static grass applicator, I simply turned the whole piese upside down, to get some of the grass upright (with the help of my good friend: gravity). After all was dry, I applied a second layer of glue an grass, to get some more dense clumps. 

Furthermore I painted the rest of the cactus, this time I made the snake red-white-striped. I think this got me a little bit more contrast and a better visibility of the snakes.

Kaktus-weitere-fertig.JPG

• Like 5

Sadly I was a little bit camera-lazy last weak. But today I took a some shots of the things we've done.

First the promised 40 markers for Squatter's Rights.

Schilder.JPG

First we thought about getting 40 Bases, but we discovered that the 32 mm hole cutter for my drill produced perfect 30mm bases. The Signs are made out of balsawood with the idea in mind to turn  them to the direction, pointing to the controling player.

Next I finished some rock formations for the desert board.

Felsen.JPG

They turned out okay. But I need to train my rock carving skills a bit to be completely satisfied.

Greebo had a lot of bought, unpainted terrain. So we grabbed some brushes and started painting:

Plastcraft-01.jpg

Plastcraft-02.jpg

Plastcraft-03.JPG

Z-une.JPG

Mabye I'll add some Seamus Lymerics to the sides of the walkways. But for now I'm happy to put them away. Drybrushing everything was such a boring work.

And because it was so boring, I had to start something more interesting. A little log cabin for the upcomming winter board.

Blockhaus-01.jpg

Blockhaus-02.jpg

But I couldn't stop myself and was forced to construct some furniture ...

Blockhaus-03.jpg

... and a cute little stove

Blockhaus-04-1.jpg

The door of the cabin will be broken, so that some snow could come into the room. The windows will get some sort of Fabric or Leather to cover them from inside and the roof will be covered in Snow, with only a few little spots of earth/moos shining through. Mabye I'll try to get some Imprints of wolves (or other animals), when I apply the snow.

• Like 8

Thanks, I'm pleased to hear that my work ist appreciated.

And now to a little update of today's work.

I've found another of Greebos bought buildings on one of my tables (tooo much terrain everywhere ^^). This time it was a laser-cut Saloon from Micro Art Studio.

So i had to start painting it, to get some space to make more terrain some day in the future. But simple basecolor+drybrushing was to boring, so I experimented a bit, to get some old used looking wood. I brushed on different kinds of brown-grey mixes (following the direction of the wood) onto the terrain piece and got a realy nice chaotic and used looking wood surface.

Saloon-Old-Wood-WIP-04.jpg

I very much like chaotic techniques with good looking chaotic results. Sure I took some time, but the results are great. At the moment some wash is drying, which I applied to mabye get back some of the seperate blanks. And after that I could imagine dry-brushing a light coat of white or light grey.

At the front of the roof I will put some rusty old letters resembling the name of this lovely inn. I'll mabye name it "Rusty Roads End" and put a rusty metalic roof on top of it, to get an old dirty saloon in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 4

Today I finished the saloon. The Name is "Roads End" the Rusty part didn't realy fit. So I only applied it as a colour choice.

Saloon-fertig-01.jpg

The letters where made out of plastic card, glued onto some wires to get a little bit of space between them and the roof. I'm not shure how well it will hold, but it looks amazing and I couldn't resist doing this that way.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

To much time has passed without posting my progress. I'll correct that piece by piece and show off the things I've done.

Stadt-Wald-fertig.JPG

First some finished Trees for the city-boards. I've thought about different ways to put some leafs onto them, but I somehow did not find a satisfying technique. All I've "leafs" tried kept falling of my test-tree. So I decided some old dead trees will fit into the malifaux-setting just fine.

Mauern.JPG

Next a few more parts of Greebos bought terrain, I've painted. Came out quite nice.

Schilder-02.JPG

The Squatter's Rights Marker got a little bit more paint and some Grass. in the top left you can see my first snow experiments (which contain some tragic episodes). I'll talk more about them in my next post.

• Like 5

Like promised I'll present my tragic episode of terrain making:

Don't eat the green snow.

A few days ago I finished the little hut, for the winter board. It looked very promising.
But soon I discovered something strange. Some parts of the snow started turning green.

gr-ner-schnee.JPG

First I thought I'll have to discard my snow-paste recipe, based on white acrylic, white glue, some backing soda and a tiny bit of glitter-particles. I was very disappointed, because I liked how the snow turned out. Except the green tint.
But I realized not all terrain pieces turned green. So my detective-senses got triggered.
After a while I caught the little crook.

gr-ner-schnee-streu.JPG

My old non-static grass, which I added to the earth-paste for a more organic texture, colourbleeded through several Layers of colour, glue and clear varnish.
But the damage was mostly done, I'll tried a lot to get the green tint out of my finished pieces. I got better, but not perfect.

Here are the pictures of the finished Winter terrain pieces.

First the little hut:

Blockhaus-bemalt-01-1.jpg

Blockhaus-bemalt-02.jpg

Blockhaus-bemalt-03.jpg

Blockhaus-bemalt-04.jpg

Blockhaus-bemalt-05.jpg

And a forest I made:

Winter-Wald.JPG

The turned out okay, but if you watch closely, you could see the green tint.
In my following snow pieces I avoided the grass and it turned out fine. They will be presented next.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...