Painters Challenge 2016 - January 2017

prof_bycid

Hello challenge painters,

This is the thread for January 2017---only a few months left to go!  I am filling in for Vaiuri again this month. 

Post your completed December pledge models here with the total SS painted.  Feel free to use this thread to post WIP photos (if you so desire), get feedback, trade ideas and hobby tips as we enter the home stretch.  I hope everyone has a great and productive 2017.

When you have completed your January pledge, feel free to post it (I enjoy seeing them come in), but Viauri would like everyone to post at the start of next month (Feb.) with their completed pledge photo and stone value--this will make it a lot easier for Viauri and I to keep track of where everyone is up to.  Plus, we get to start off subsequent months with some inspirational posts of what people have gotten up to the month before :D  You can also PM me (prof_bycid) with your completed pledge if you like.  I will keep track of pledges and pass the info to Viauri in one handy file when she's back online.  I am tracking progress right now, so you may not see the tracker updated--just let me know if you want to change or confirm anything.

16 hours ago, KrazyIvan said:

What is this challenge thing now?

It's a challenge organized for fun (no prizes are included) and the main goal is to motivate people to paint miniatures, show their progress/finished works here and keep the hobby conversation going.

In December I painted 2 Aeslins and 2 Titanias for a total of 38 ss. More pics can be found here and here.

aeslin_00.jpg

titania00_zpshxfnw2z1.jpg

I've already started working on some stuff this month so here's a box I haven't touched yet. I'll try to paint all the minis from it but we'll see how it goes.

amphibious_assault_0_zpsgal1inn2.jpg

• Like 6

23 hours ago, KrazyIvan said:

What is this challenge thing now?

Back in March we pledged a particular number of SS worth of minis to paint each month.  We post pre and post photos, and wip.  It's a community thing that lets one share the hobby experience a bit.  This was my first time doing it, and it has been fun, and kept me motivated.

Someone may start another one up soon---we are almost at a year (I'm assuming that is how long this will go).  

• Like 2

Hello,

As I mentioned before Christmas, I managed to paint a watcher (4ss) and a hunter (7ss) for a total of 11ss.

Watcher_zpssph0ymiq.jpg

I thought these would be the last things I would be able to paint in December, but I managed to get on the 31st five scrap markers and five head markers :)

IMG-20170101-WA0004_zpsb1k2tcdf.jpeg

I was hoping to see a Blessed of December for December or something like this... :) 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Franchute said:

I dont think there is any problem for you to join. The challenge should finish at the end of February. But I guess we should start all over again in March. Anyway the new boss is @prof_bycid.

Well, "new boss" is giving me too much credit, and the thought of power may go to Ramos', I mean, my head.  :)  I'm just filling in for Vaiuri.  But yes, if Vaiuri can't take on the next round, and no one else objects, I'd be happy to start a new painters challenge around March.  I want to give Vaiuri first right of refusal, though.

I don't think there is any problem with jumping in for fun now.  There is nothing for anyone to lose, anyway, and it is more fun with more models showing up. 

The general idea is to post your unpainted pledge models at the beginning of the month, post work in progress photos as you like, and at the start of the next month, post the final work for comment and critique.  There were categories of monthly goals based upon soul stones worth of models, 5--10 SS increments, I think.

My December models:

aNicodem (15 SS) + 3 x December Acolytes (21 SS) = 36 SSa, my best month yet for this challenge. 

large.Dec2016_Nico_3DecAcol_done1.jpglarge.Dec2016_Nico_3DecAcol_done2.jpg

I don't play Ressurectionists, but painted up aNicodem for someone at my FLGS.  He wanted me to leave it off the supporting zombies so that he could run it as regular Nicodem on a 30 mm base.  What a fun model to paint.

For January, I think I am going to do something with the Sandeep Desai crew, just haven't decided which ones yet.  Will post them soon.

11 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

I already started Sandeep and finished his base, so I won't include him in the challange tally, but he will come along for the ride anyway. 

If I remember Vaiuri's rules correctly, you can include him because you just need to finish a model during the month. Am I wrong?