Maliphoenix Zoraida vs. Misaki 50 Soulstones

thecapopriest

PC300001_zps00fmmzkm.jpg

This is a 50 point game played in the MaliPhoenix group at Games U. 

Gremlins vs. Outcasts

Deployment: Corner

Strategy: Reconnoiter

Schemes: A Line in The Sand, Assassinate, Protect Territory, Entourage, and Plant Explosives.

Gremlin List: Zoraida with Tarot Reading and Animal Shape, Bad Juju with Dirty Cheater and On Yer Tip Toes, Mctavish with Cute Critters, Sammy Lacroix with Zoraida's Limited Upgrade Crystal Ball, 2 Waldgeist, and a Rooster Rider. Soulstone Cache of 4.

With this list I took Zoraida with Animal Shape to try to get the easy 3 points from revealing Entourage.

Bad Juju was taken just because I like him as a beat stick and if I get the Voodoo Doll to Hem a high priority target I can use Bad Juju to put down a good amount of damage on the Voodoo Doll and get the Paralyze trigger.

Mctavish I really like with Zoraida for his ability to shut down Focus and Defensive paired with Zoraida's Proper Manners makes her very resilient to Assassination. Other then that reason he is just altogether an excellent addition to any crew.

Sammy Lacroix with Crystal Ball was mainly just to get Sammy back on the board and get some time in with her.

I wanted to give the Rooster Rider a test game since he now no longer has Reckless to rely on, but also I was hoping to use Obey on him to take a charge action. 

Outcasts List: Misaki with Stalking Bisento and I Pay Better, Shang, Rusty Alice with Tally Sheet and From The Aether, Freikorps Librarian with Oath Keeper, Oiran, and 3 Ronin. Soulstone Cache of 2.

Gremlins reveal Entourage on Zoraida, but do not reveal Plant Explosives.

Outcasts reveal Protect Territory, but do not reveal Assassinate. 

Gremlins win Deployment Flip and choose to deploy first and choose corners.

Just a side note on terrain, the tower on the hill in the center of the board, we just called that height 3 for the entire hill, so it was LOS blocking. The forests are dense and soft cover, while the corn fields are dense, soft cover, and severe. The square looking hay stacks we made height 3, while the round ones are height 2.

In general one of the big critiques I have gotten is not having enough LOS blocking terrain in the middle of the board where it would be more meaningful, so I am going to strive to put more LOS blocking terrain in the center.

Lastly this is a four foot by four foot board, so six inches all around the board is out of play.

PC300002_zpsdyjcy1zm.jpg

Gremlin Deployment from Left to Right: Rooster Rider, Waldgeist, Sammy Lacroix, Mctavish, Zoraida, Bad Juju, and Waldgeist.

PC300003_zpsmdqy3jy9.jpg

Outcast Deployment from Left to Right: Freikorps Librarian, Rusty Alice, Oiran, Misaki, and Shang.

PC300004_zpszmrayehs.jpg

Outcast Deployment from Left to Right: Misaki, Shang, and 3 Ronin.

PC300005_zpsdz6z4tts.jpg

Top of turn 1.

Gremlins win initiative and have Outcasts activate first.

Rusty Alice double walked and then did her 0 action Fragments, from her From The Aether upgrade, to drop a scrap marker.

PC300006_zpsjmjxxkig.jpg

Rooster Rider double walked.

PC300007_zpsxk8embbq.jpg

Misaki walked and then did her 0 action Stalk, granted to her by the Stalking Bisento Upgrade, onto Mctavish. Then she walked forward and went Defensive +1.

PC300008_zpswyc1vfen.jpg

Waldgeist double walked forward.

PC300009_zpsotklpovj.jpg

Shang double walked.

PC300010_zpsb1plnxqu.jpg

Waldgeist double walked.

PC300011_zpsdnbarruq.jpg

Freikorps Librarian double walked.

PC300012_zps8tjxdwkj.jpg

Bad Juju double walked.

PC300013_zpsf1esjppx.jpg

Ronin double walked.

PC300016_zpsskziyxon.jpg

Mctavish walked and did Wrangle Critter, granted to him by the Cute Critters Upgrade, to have Bad Juju walk forward. He then did his 0 action Hunting Screen to give soft cover to everything within 3" of the Hunting Screen marker. Misaki chose not to take her walk action from Stalk.

PC300018_zpsgeakdqsa.jpg

Oiran successfully Lured Bad Juju once but failed the second attempt.

PC300019_zps4uvcwcca.jpg

Sammy Lacroix did Crystal Ball to look at the other players 2 cards he had left, which was a 9 and 11 and then double walked forward.

PC300020_zpsppzrpuew.jpg

Ronin double walked forward.

PC300021_zpsz7qmjujy.jpg

Zoraida walked forward and summoned a Voodoo Doll. No enemies where in range of Hem.

PC300022_zpsajw1v2zu.jpg

Ronin double walked forward.

End of turn 1 no points scored.

PC300023_zpsoyyjzrgu.jpg

Top of turn 2.

Outcasts win initiative.

Rusty Alice discarded a card to do Rapid Fire. The first shot hit and did weak damage of 3 which was reduced by a soulstone down to 2 damage. Second attack did weak again but the soulstone reduction prevented all 3 points of damage. The third attack did moderate damage of 4, leaving Bad Juju with 3 health left. Rusty Alice then attempted to summon an Abomination with her 0 action Aetheric Creation, but failed.

PC300024_zpsb80yx3gi.jpg

Bad Juju activated and healed 2 points of damage due to Regeneration +2. He then charged Misaki, the first attack hit and did weak damage of 2, which Misaki prevented 1 point of damage due to soulstone use. The second attack missed. He then did his 0 action Landslide, which he needed to cheat to get the target number and 1 point of damage due to Dirty Cheater upgrade. Misaki passed the TN 13 willpower duel. Bad Juju now has 6 health remaining.

PC300025_zpsob15yjas.jpg

Misaki did her 0 action Stalk against Bad Juju for the positive twists. Her first attack did moderate damage of 4 which was reduced by 2 points from soulstone reduction and got the trigger Next target to push upto 4" in any direction. The second attack hit big so Bad Juju discarded the On Yer Tiptoes Upgrade to force a reflip which Misaki got the Red Joker on and declared the next target trigger again. With a positive flip on the damage flip she got severe damage of 6 and killed Bad Juju. Last action she went Defensive +1.

PC300026_zpswgboldbp.jpg

Misaki final position.

Shang then Companion activated and healed the 1 damage off of Misaki and took 1 point of damage.

PC300027_zps05dwgrc1.jpg

Shang the walked behind the hay stack.

PC300028_zpsfph4l5wb.jpg

Voodoo Doll walked forward and attempted the Hem action on the Freikorps Librarian but failed.

PC300029_zpser8oh690.jpg

The Freikorps Librarian did Furious Casting at the Voodoo Doll. The first attack did 2 points of damage and the second did 4 points killing the Voodoo Doll.

PC300030_zpsulojpg4e.jpg

Waldgeist double walked and did his 0 action Germinate, dropping 2 50mm Tree Markers that are severe and Soft Cover.

Oiran then attempted to Lure the Waldgeist twice failing both times due to not getting the crow suit needed.

PC300031_zps3xixuisl.jpg

Waldgeist double walked and did his 0 action Germinate.

PC300032_zpsudkaxjbc.jpg

Ronin walked into the tree marker and shot at the Waldgeist but missed due to Perfect Camouflage giving a negative twist.

PC300033_zpsvsnsx3qr.jpg

Sammy Lacroix double walked.

PC300034_zpszrgoiumx.jpg

Ronin with the yellow hat walked and then shot at the Waldgeist, but missed due to double negative from soft cover and Perfect Camouflage.

PC300035_zpsjiciemqp.jpg

Zoraida did Obey on Mctavish to walk him forward, then she used 2 actions for Raven Form, granted to her from the Animal Shape Upgrade, to place herself within 15" of her original position.
PC300037_zpstjnig8f1.jpg

Ronin walked forward and shot at the Rooster Rider but missed due to Hard Cover.

PC300036_zpsfhpxjoxd.jpg

Mctavish shot at Misaki twice, first time hitting and getting the Red Joker for damage, dealing 8 points of damage! After Misaki's Bullet Proof +1 and soulstone reduction she took 6 points of damage leaving her with 6 health left. The second shot hit but got the Black Joker on damage! He then did his 0 action Hunting Screen.

PC300038_zpsaca8ktlc.jpg

Rooster Rider walked and then dropped a scheme marker.

End of turn 2 no points scored.

PC300039_zpsizub6egf.jpg

Top of turn 3.

Gremlins win initiative.

Mctavish shot at Misaki twice missing both times due to her double positive from having Defensive +1 and Risky Ventures for having no soulstones.

PC300040_zpsb9xa75ri.jpg

The Ronin charged the Rooster Rider, the first attack did severe damage of 5 leaving the Rooster Rider with 1 health left. The second attack hit, but was tied for a double negative and drew the Black Joker on damage.

PC300041_zpshs3apad5.jpg

Sammy Lacroix used the Crystal Ball upgrade to force the Misaki player to discard a random card. She then walked and then did Jynx against Misaki, hitting and dealing 2 points of damage as well as giving her the Twisted Legs condition to prevent her from walking or charging.

PC300042_zpsa0jxapix.jpg

The Librarian discarded Oath Keeper to go Fast and walked forward. She then did Healing Energy twice on Misaki, the first time needing to cheat to hit the target number and then cheated the healing flip to heal 3 points with severe. The second also cheated a severe healing severe of 3 putting Misaki at 10 wounds left, 2 damage taken.

Shang then companion activated and healed Misaki twice,failing the first time, but healing weak of 1, leaving Misaki with 1 damage left on her and 11 wounds. Shang takes a wound leaving him with 2 health left.

PC300043_zpsbsanocy7.jpg

Zoraida Obeyed Sammy Lacroix to drop a scheme marker and then did Raven Form to place herself within 15".

Rusty Alice did Rapid fire at Sammy Lacroix but missed all 3 attacks. She then did her 0 action to summon an Abomination but failed to get the target number.

PC300044_zpsmpdlfv5k.jpg

Waldgeist double walked and did his 0 action Germinate.

PC300045_zpsrhselplk.jpg

Ronin double walked into the corn field.

PC300046_zpsdtmxfifo.jpg

Rooster Rider was in Rampage mode, but had no legal target as the Ronin have Disguised and the Waldgeist was way to far to successfully charge. He attacked the Ronin he was engaged with twice, the first attack doing weak damage of 2 and the second doing moderate of 4 bringing it down to the Hard to Kill.

PC300047_zpshay9ppmg.jpg

Oiran attacked Zoraida twice but missed both times due to Proper Manners.

Waldgeist double walked forward but failed to get the target number on Germinate.

PC300048_zpsi6l18qe0.jpg

Ronin walked towards the Waldgeist, in order to avoid the negative twists from Perfect Camouflage, and attacked once which I cheated to make it miss.

Misaki did Downburst at the Waldgeist 3 times, failing to get the target number the first 2 times but getting it on the third with the Rolling Thunder trigger that allows Misaki to make a Thunder attack against the target. The Thunder attack missed due to me cheating a high card.

End of turn 3.

Gremlins reveal Plant Explosives scoring 1 off of Misaki and 1 off of the Ronin engaged with the Rooster Rider.

No points scored from the Strategy.

PC300053_zpsvrzhdqjl.jpg

Misaki did her 0 action Stalk on Zoraida and then charged her. On the first attack Misaki had to cheat first and cheated in a 10 to get 17, which I just luckily had a 12 of masks to tie him with a 17 and get the regret trigger. On his damage flip he hit moderate and Misaki could not cheat it down to weak, so Misaki's activation ended. Zoraida used the last soulstone to reduce the damage by 2 so she took 2 damage.

PC300049_zps8u9ymzrs.jpg

The Rooster Rider activated and killed the Ronin with 1 health left. Then he went Defensive +1.

Rusty Alice once again did Rapid Fire at Sammy Lacroix, but missed all 3 times.

PC300051_zpsxysocxew.jpg

Waldgeist double walked to engage the Ronin with his 4" melee.

PC300053_zpsvrzhdqjl.jpg

Slow summoned Abomination walked up to the other Waldgeist, so the Waldgeist had to take the Caustic Aura target number 10 Defense duel, which I cheated to succeed.

Sammy Lacroix attempted to do Jynx twice on the Librarian, but failed both times.

Oiran focused by discarding a card due to I Pay Better on Misaki, she then attacked Zoraida twice, missing the first time even with Focus, but hitting with the second attack doing Moderate damage of 2 and giving Zoraida Poison +1. Zoraida has 6 health left and 4 damage on her.

PC300054_zpsbc6fbb11.jpg

Zoraida did Raven Form to place within 15" and then obeyed the Waldgeist to attack the Ronin, but the Waldgeist missed.

PC300055_zpsef6iakb8.jpg

Shang walked and then shot at the Rooster Rider but missed.

PC300057_zpsmozq0eme.jpg

Waldgeist attacked the Abomination twice, first attack drawing the Black Joker to miss and the Abomination got the Unmade trigger dealing 1 point of damage to the Waldgeist, but followed up immediately by the Red Joker, which he then got severe damage of 4 killing the Abomination outright. He then did Germinate.

The Freikorps Librarian shot at Sammy Lacroix twice, missing both times due to hard cover.

PC300058_zps0kcivshc.jpg

Mctavish shot and killed Shang.

PC300059_zpsr6ncclb9.jpg

The Ronin attacked twice getting weak damage on both and the Next Target trigger. Since their attacks ignore armor it did 4 points of damage to the Waldgeist leaving it with 2 health left and 5 damage.

PC300060_zpsjdxoknze.jpg

Ronin attempted to walk away twice from the Waldgeist, first time failing but second time succeeding.

End of turn 4.

Gremlins score 1 point for Reconnoiter.

Gremlins 3 to Outcasts 0.

PC300061_zpskprvlpb2.jpg

Top of turn 4.

Outcasts win initiative.

The Ronin engaged with the Rooster Rider did Flurry and killed the Rooster Rider on the first attack.

Sammy Lacroix did Jynx against the Ronin twice, hitting both times doing 4 damage and giving the conditions Twisted Legs and Twisted Fingers.

PC300063_zpso94e099o.jpg

The Ronin did Flurry on the Waldgeist and hit and killed him on the first attack.

PC300064_zpsytvqnsdp.jpg

Waldgeist walked and attacked the Ronin getting moderate damage with a negative twist, doing 3 damage to the Ronin.

PC300065_zpsdondeyj9.jpg

Rusty Alice did Rapid Fire at Sammy Lacroix. Missing the first attack, hitting with the second and doing weak damage of 3, the third missed due to Sammy cheating.

Mctavish shot at the Ronin twice, missing once and hitting once bringing it down to Hard to Kill.

Freikorps Librarian did Furious Casting at Sammy Lacroix, missing twice due to hard cover but hitting once due to the Red Joker and doing weak damage of 2, leaving Sammy with 1 health left.

PC300066_zpsr59t1mu3.jpg

Zoraida Obeyed the Waldgeist to attack the Ronin which hit and brought the Ronin down to 1 health left. She then summoned a Voodoo Doll which successfully did Hem on the Ronin.

PC300067_zps0brecib1.jpg

Misaki did her 0 action Stalk on Sammy Lacroix, then walked and charged Sammy killing her with the first attack.

PC300068_zpsztggmudh.jpg

Voodoo Doll walked.

PC300069_zpscgck5mnw.jpg

Oiran walked and attempted to Lure Mctavish but failed.

End of turn 5.

The game ending flip made it go on to turn 6!

No points scored.

Gremlins 3 to Outcasts 0.

PC300070_zpsbkb7ii8n.jpg

Top of turn 6.

Outcasts win initiative.

Ronin walks up to the Waldgeist and attacks him getting weak damage of 2, ignoring armor.

PC300071_zpspuh54xpi.jpg

Mctavish shot at the Ronin twice, missing once due to Black Joker, but hitting with the second and killing him.

Misaki walked and then did her 0 action Stalk on Mctavish. She then charged him hitting both times and doing moderate damage of 4 with each attack. Mctavish took 8 points of damage, has 2 health left.

PC300072_zpszxqbq8gi.jpg

Waldgeist attacked the Voodoo Doll doing severe damage of 4 and killing the Ronin in the process. The Waldgeist then took a walk action.

PC300073_zps4uudxdf1.jpg

Rusty Alice attempted to summon an Abomination but failed due to the Black Joker. She then double walked.

PC300074_zpstntcuv2v.jpg

Voodoo Doll double walked.

PC300075_zpscup5h92h.jpg

Zoraida Obeyed the Waldgeist, but failed to hit the target number, on the second try she got it and walked him forward. Her last action she walked into the Outcasts deployment zone.

PC300076_zpsnp4ccs2r.jpg

Oiran attempted to Lure Mctavish twice, failing once but succeeded once.

Librarian walked forward and shot at Mctavish, which I cheated in the Red Joker to make miss.

End of turn 6.

Outcasts score 1 point for Reconnoiter.

The game flip goes on to turn 7!

Gremlins 3 to Outcasts 1.

PC300077_zpsy9wlrktn.jpg

Top of turn 7.

Outcasts win initiative.

Misaki charged Mctavish and missed the first attack due to Black Joker, the second attack hit and killed Mctavish. Her last action was to drop a scheme marker for Protect Territory.

PC300078_zps6bctfioz.jpg

Voodoo Doll did Hem to the Oiran and walked forward.

PC300079_zpsx7i3i4yf.jpg

Oiran dropped a scheme marker and went Defensive +1, due to her ability Reading the Stone she gained an additional Defensive +1.

Zoraida Obeyed the Waldgeist 3 times walking him each time.

PC300081_zpsw4mkp06q.jpg

Rusty Alice walked and dropped a scheme marker. She then summoned in an Abomination.

PC300082_zpspbqfcojd.jpg

Waldgeist attacked the Oiran twice missing both times due to Defensive +2.

PC300083_zpsxdsz4qvs.jpg

The Friekorps Librarian did Furious Casting at the Waldgeist but missed all 3 attacks due to cover.

Abomination walked.

PC300084_zpspckc6vag.jpg

End of turn 7.

The game flip finally had the game conclude.

Outcasts scored another point for Reconnoiter and 3 points for Protect Territory.

Gremlins scored 3 points for Entourage.

Total game score: Gremlins 6 to Outcasts 5.

Gremlins scored 1 point off of Reconnoiter, 2 points from Plant Explosives, and 3 points from Entourage.

Outcasts scored 2 points from Reconnoiter, 3 points from Protect Territory, and 0 points from Assassinate.

Overall this game was really crazy with all the ups and downs. I would say the defining moment in this game was when I got super lucky that the stars aligned when Misaki went in for the kill against Zoraida. At that moment he had low cards in his hand that he was planning to cheat in just in case he needed to save himself from ending his activation. The fact that I got lucky enough to be beating him in the duel forcing him to cheat first, and then he cheated the one value that I could tie and get my trigger was nuts, but then add on top of that the fact that he was at a single negative and couldn't flip a weak damage. That was pretty crazy that that worked out.

In the future I won't be as daring as to put Zoraida in such a precarious situation.

Other then that there was no one element of my crew that I felt didn't do a good job. 

The Rooster Rider wasn't really impressive, but he did a good enough job staying alive and killing a Ronin.

Every time I play with the Waldgeists I definitely like them more and more. Very reliable models with that great 4" melee range while touching terrain is wonderful for locking models down.

Bad Juju didn't get a chance to shine, but he took shots from Rusty Alice and Misaki combined, that is to be expected.

Lastly I want to bring up the terrain, I was really happy with how much the LOS blocking terrain in the middle really changed up the feel of the game. I will keep trying to mix up how I have been doing the terrain set up. I would really appreciate anyone posting up pictures of how their tables and terrain are set up so I have different ideas of what to emulate when putting the board together.

Thanks for reading my battle report and as always I look forward to any criticisms, critiques, or advice that you may have.

• Like 2