Picking your allegiance

Tweak

7 hours ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

I've read book 4, can't see anything about that....

Kirai's vignette has a passing mention of the Court of two

Jack Daw's, Sonnia's & Zoraida's has mentions of the Burning Man being a mash up of Cheruf and the Ex-GG (check out book 3 for how we got burnt{see what I did there!})

Zipp's story has a bit about an Absynnian engineer leading the team to make the airship. From memory, I think there's also a pop-up in the Guild section about him too... could be in book 3 though...

Dreamer's Vignette touches on the Attack on London with the Burning Man.

Don't think there's really anything out there for Gibbering Hordes & King's Empire.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Da Git said:

Kirai's vignette has a passing mention of the Court of two

Jack Daw's, Sonnia's & Zoraida's has mentions of the Burning Man being a mash up of Cheruf and the Ex-GG (check out book 3 for how we got burnt{see what I did there!})

Zipp's story has a bit about an Absynnian engineer leading the team to make the airship. From memory, I think there's also a pop-up in the Guild section about him too... could be in book 3 though...

Dreamer's Vignette touches on the Attack on London with the Burning Man.

Don't think there's really anything out there for Gibbering Hordes & King's Empire.

the Under Quarantine Through the Breach book mentions a temple under malifaux dedicated to some sort of water god.  This might be a side reference to Meridion.

As for Factions, I find myself torn.  I like Gibbering Hordes a lot story and aesthetically, though its not my usual play stye.   However,  KE keeps drawing my attention too, Play style looks fun, but I'm not as excited about the  look of the models.  Then suddenly it turns out nearly everyone local is also looking towards GH, like 2.5 to 1 ratio.  Not sure what to go  with now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am feeling so indecisive... 

... I was set on Abyssinia for so long, I mean its an amazing concept - a fantasy realization of that most ancient Ethiopian kingdom that in the world of Malifaux is apparently strong enough to play a direct hand in the affairs of the anarchy that seems to be the British Isles; seeing as the game's initial focus in lore and factions is there with the odd exception of Abyssinia which makes them even more interesting. 

Then suddenly I got two background ideas for a personal King's Empire and Gibbering Hordes force. 

In terms of the King's Empire, their figures and play-style are actually both my favorite of the four factions but I live in Ireland - no self-respecting Irish man can invite the British Army to adorn his IKEA shelves in miniature form. However, the concept took me of an Irish flavor force. The King's Empire is throwing off Guild control so it seemed an interesting strategic idea to pursue and an ironic turn of history of role-playing the force as Irish men trained and equipped by the King's Empire to fight for their interests in exchange for aid kicking the Guild out of Ireland. Old enemies turned allies - the King's Empire must need as much forces as they can with the British Isles the focus of most of the new breaches; Irish Independence might seem a fair price for more recruits, similar to the promise of Home Rule for Ireland during the First War World in our world.

As for the Gibbering Hordes I had a simpler idea than politics and joining an old foe to fight a new one and threats to a shared home; what about a Gibbering Horde force that just went to hell with it; we just want to eat fish and bask on rocks. The remnants of a much larger force, shattered and sent into retreat. They find themselves on the West Coast of Ireland... the wild Atlantic. Tall cliffs with sea caves and other hidden inlets to live in, deep waters to hide from danger in and the rich Atlantic fishing to enjoy. All in an area with a much smaller human population to worry about. Its odd but... just a weirdly content tiny community of Gibbering Hordelings broken away from the will of the majority and just chilling, fighting to defend themselves if needed; it silly but nice. 

Of course, at this stage basing choices on lore can be tricky if what influences personal forces gets changed or shown to be different in the first place but honestly, a nice narrative behind your models is something that can inspire you to paint, model and play them... so I got till Backer-Lit closes up to keep changing back and forth in a very annoying manner (p_^) 

• Like 3

I'm incredulous that I somehow haven't responded to this thread yet! 

For me it's been Cult all the way. The insanity and body horror really appeals to me (Twisted Horrors especially - The Thing is one of my favourite films), so it was an easy choice. Add in the teleport shenanigans and some truly awesome models with even better nickname potential (Noodle Wyrm, Fire Pope, Cinnamon, Special Agent Noona etc) and it's a faction that appeals to me on every level. :)

The only negative is that I worry they might be too popular and/or frustrating to face. Abyssinia was a possible alternative (I've enjoyed painting models with heaps of battle-damaged armour), but there's just too much that I like about the Cult.

• Like 2

I couldn't decide, so I went all in and bought the 4x pledge. I'm totally new to wargames and hope this will be my entry. 

I really like the idea of Abyssinia, with the whole high tech weapons and suits, but I don't think elite factions are my kind of style. 

King's Empire looks great. I like that they are made up of normal peoples, equipped with low tech weapons, in a world of strange beings and African iron men. Their playstyle is easy to grasp, so these guys are probably my learning army. 

For Gibbering Horde, I must say that I love the models. Water Pokemon have always been some of my favorites, and these look like a bunch of cute/deadly critters. I'm not to keen on the zerg rush aspect of their playstyle, but maybe they can convert me. 

The Cult is actually the allegiance I like the least. I'm all in for magic users, and quite a few of their models are nice, but the rest of the mutated, tendrilfied units are not my cup of tea. Their playstyle is what might redeem them for me, but I suspect that I'm either going to love it or hate it. 

So far I feel like Wyrd has done a great job at captivating different kind of players, and I hope for this game to gain ground all over the world.

I also hope that the henchman program either extends or that they create something similar for this. 

December(+maybe a couple of months in delays) can't come soon enough :)

• Like 2

I was 100% in for Empire for so long, but playtesting has swayed me towards Abyssinia. Now I'm sitting at dual commander pledge with Abyss and Empire. Abyss I'm now totally sold on, and there are certain models in Empire I'm struggling to let go of... I'm still facing an internal struggle:

Do I take Empire as 2nd allegiance or Cult? Both have really nice miniatures, but I don't see me playing Cult. Probably won't play Empire either. Or take their units as allies. Cult make for a better demo opponent - more visually interesting - but I might actually play Empire...

Somebody help me!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Skitt_Happens said:

I was 100% in for Empire for so long, but playtesting has swayed me towards Abyssinia. Now I'm sitting at dual commander pledge with Abyss and Empire. Abyss I'm now totally sold on, and there are certain models in Empire I'm struggling to let go of... I'm still facing an internal struggle:

Do I take Empire as 2nd allegiance or Cult? Both have really nice miniatures, but I don't see me playing Cult. Probably won't play Empire either. Or take their units as allies. Cult make for a better demo opponent - more visually interesting - but I might actually play Empire...

Somebody help me!

I think you should go for Empire as secondary allegiance: 

1. You might find a use for them if you employ dual commanders.

2. Both allegiances benefits from the Guild syndicate, so if you ever start playing them the investment is smaller

3. They are easy to understand. If you have to learn the game, playing a faction focused on shooting is a good way to start. While the more experienced wargamer might find the Cult interesting, people who are new to the genre will probably have an easier time understanding the rules, when playing as the Empire.

4. They provide a nice example for people new to Malifaux universe, in that you can show the huge difference soulstones have done for technology. It makes sense to battle over it, if you can build better weapons, faster vehicles and unlock magical abilities.

5. This point might be a bit weak, but you might be able to pull some people in, who aren't fans of the usual horror look of Malifaux, as you can show that people don't have to employ "weird" monsters and twisted humans (which you often have in to in the skirmish game).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skitt_Happens said:

Somebody help me!

Seems you have a choice - be the fellows with spruce mustache's trying to save England or be the fellows with living flesh mustache's spewing blood, fire and maddening whispers and destroy England. Either way; mustaches. 

• Like 2