Your Gibbering Paint Scheme thoughts

Shrapnelsmile

I'm going to grab some of the excellent base-coat spray primer colors from Army Painter when my beasties arrive.  One on top, one under belly, then wash and blend.

completely unsure of the color combos I will choose, however.

Do any of you look at these critters and know what you are going to attempt to make them look table-worthy?

I haven't decided on colors yet, but I'm most excited by beach/tide pool/coastal basing and terrain ideas. I've been doing some research into making miniature tide pools the last couple days, but that'll have to come later.

I quite like the look in the artwork, with pale, seafoam greens and darker details/carapaces.

On 12/23/2016 at 2:37 PM, -Loki- said:

I've gotten used to painting lots of models one colour - I played Tyranids afterall. I'll likely stick with the official colours because I like them, but for the Frenzy I'm considering painting each one as a different breed of shark.

My wife played Chaos Space Marines for a bit, and her models were always in eye-gouging neon colors. She considered it psychological warfare.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 7/20/2017 at 1:38 PM, EntrepeNinja said:

I'm going to go with deep sea and amphibian creatures: For instance

Spotted skulkers I think are going to be like poison dart frogs.

Karkinoi I'm hoping to do like mantis shrimp.

The possibility of painting the skulkers as dwarf frogs is why I think my partner will like the GH models. For the angry hermit crabs, a metallic pearl effect would be interesting, but potentially complicated.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

primer, spray base them blue, slap on some dark greenish shader, layer on some bright teal and drybrush with bright green. yarazi a little brighter and greener, speckled crawlers a little darker blue. scales on karkinoi and whelks bone-coloured and spaces in between segments red-ish. don't have a clue wether it'll work and look nice or not, but that's what i'm gonna try. ^^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there!
I'm a bit late to the party, but I was thinking bright colors.
Probably turquoise for the main color.

Maybe some pink or light purple for the inside or mouths, the underside of karkinoi, stuff like that.
And yellow for eyes.

Writing it now I think it may end up being eye gouging :D

I would also like to have them look slimy/shiny, so I guess i'd use a varnish as well

• 2 months later...

TOS will be my first wargame, so if anyone has some tips or resources for a painting newbie like myself it'd be greatly appreciated! Half the reason I chose the Hordes was that they seemed like they'd be a bit more forgiving than something with more detailed sculpts like KE or Cults. Really looking forward to getting these on the table!

11 hours ago, Alack said:

TOS will be my first wargame, so if anyone has some tips or resources for a painting newbie like myself it'd be greatly appreciated! Half the reason I chose the Hordes was that they seemed like they'd be a bit more forgiving than something with more detailed sculpts like KE or Cults. Really looking forward to getting these on the table!

I'd really suggest finding colour primiers in the colours you want to do them. As a Tyranid player from 40k, Hordes are very similar. Single main colour, smaller detail colours (easier than Tyranids, who had two primary colours). Being able to spray prime them your colour of choice, wash them to define areas, and give them a few drybrushes and then pick out details should be a nice way for beginners to get painted Hordes on the table.

15 hours ago, Alack said:

Working with preshading and glazes are a very, very fast shortcut in armypainting. I strongly suggest toturial from Vince Venturella about the subject.

An other thing most beginners won't do but is incredible helpful is painting some miniatures to test different paintscemes.

• Agree 1