January 2017 Errata

Lucidicide

The cuddling of Frank and Papa Loco will have a big impact to Perdita players - moreso Papa Loco.  You can no longer use Papa to buff perdita, then hide him in a pine box and run him up the table (or keep him hidden).  That will change tactice - and unless Perdita is hanging back a fair bit, she won't be getting that buff anymore.  Hmm, that's a shame.  I hadn't heard enough complaints about this tactic to realise that was considered OP.

Guardian is good - these are unpopular units because they're considered too expensive.  Makes them a more viable option.

cuddling the austringers......well, I guess anything that is considered an auto-include x 2 is probably overpowered, so I guess that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

The cuddling of Frank and Papa Loco will have a big impact to Perdita players - moreso Papa Loco.  You can no longer use Papa to buff perdita, then hide him in a pine box and run him up the table (or keep him hidden).  That will change tactice - and unless Perdita is hanging back a fair bit, she won't be getting that buff anymore.  Hmm, that's a shame.  I hadn't heard enough complaints about this tactic to realise that was considered OP.

Guardian is good - these are unpopular units because they're considered too expensive.  Makes them a more viable option.

cuddling the austringers......well, I guess anything that is considered an auto-include x 2 is probably overpowered, so I guess that makes sense.

Papa Box was problematic, especially with Sonnia. If I recall correctly, it swept adepticon with a player doing nothing but Sonnia (and one round of Perdita to deal with armor).

• Like 1

The guild cuddles are disappointing but I can can understand papa locos cuddle although I don't think it was that OP. Fransisco I don't think it makes much of a difference as you would never bury him anyways. The Austringers cuddle hurts and I think they should have got a range 14 to make up for it. Now a fragile model has to sit up front to do mediocre damage or stay back and just push things around.

The last download of the PDF still had the scribe as not a minion for me. Will we be getting a version without the large errata watermark on both sides or will that be for the Wargame Vault only?

Edit: I love how the forums changed ne-rf to cuddles lmao

Just now, Stonewall78 said:

The guild cuddles are disappointing but I can can understand papa locos cuddle although I don't think it was that OP. Fransisco I don't think it makes much of a difference as you would never bury him anyways. The Austringers cuddle hurts and I think they should have got a range 14 to make up for it. Now a fragile model has to sit up front to do mediocre damage or stay back and just push things around.

The last download of the PDF still had the scribe as not a minion for me. Will we be getting a version without the large errata watermark on both sides or will that be for the Wargame Vault only?

They can sit behind terrain though, same as Ten Thunders Archers have to do.

General first take:

Very happy with the Lucius buffs, I had actually just played him a week ago with a Witchling Thrall / Terracotta Warrior in the mix, and while he was fun, in a way, it was difficult to get him to work. Expanding the range of his Elite Training and adding + to Horror flips, loosening Commanding Presence in a few aspects, and dropping Issue Command TN is huge for him. I'm very excited to see what future games with him are like. Guardian buff is also welcome.

Making Deadly Dance on Misaki is also good, it was always hard to find a spare AP for it, and it makes Disguised a lot more attractive relative to Stalking Bisento, especially with her ability to push out of combat with triggers to set up the Deadly Dance/Disguised plan for after she ends her activation.

Haven't taken Sensei Yu with Brewmaster before, but the new change to make his (0) actually work with Brewie's is lovely.

The Tara change to include infiltration as a native ability is good, and the replacement for the old infiltration is also fantastic. Some people are saying that it frees up an upgrade for Tara, but me, I'm slamming it even harder because the -2 WP was always gravy and now I get to throw Void critter damage reduction on top of it, boosting NB and Wretch Df in the process.

Not much to say on the others, haven't fielded Montresor yet, but his buff and Ironside's (going to be playing a bunch of Arcanist this year) are always appreciated.

8 minutes ago, DoctorWhat said:

Papa Box was problematic, especially with Sonnia. If I recall correctly, it swept adepticon with a player doing nothing but Sonnia (and one round of Perdita to deal with armor).

Swept is a bad word.

He won Adepticon. Lost to Gremlins in Stake a Claim but those weren`t 10:0 wins and he was a very good player. In UK for example Guild is ranked low.

I think it was more of a consistency change than a cuddle. You can still play with Papa Loco.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Math Mathonwy said:

The only thing I'm truly disappointed with is Franc as his cuddle seems completely inconsequential. No one put him in the box and condition removal against a Wp 9 (or whatever) Master isn't going to come out often to say the least. OTOH it is in line with Papa so I can see the point but I really wish El Mayor had been made to go away at the end of the turn. Especially with the new Recruiters making Franc less necessary to Lady Justice, the only one left who truly "needs" El Mayor is McMourning.

Not the end of the world or anything, mind, but the only change I truly disagree with (and it's about not going far enough so again better than nothing and if this is the only part I really disagree with it must indicate that the changes are really good).

Agreed with that.

Generally everything looks pretty good. Well done Wyrd-boys!

@Aaron @Mason

Just one Guild question really, what is the plan for the Death Marshal now? I understand the Loco/Frank changes completely but now I feel there is very little reason to consider a Death Marshal.

Still very new to Malifaux so I could be very wrong but the reason I think he was seen still was because of his utility, which now has been significantly dropped and it isn't like Guild Marshals in general where on top of the curve. So no complaints, just wondering if something is up for them?

I'm perfectly happy with these changes, even the Guild cuddles. They had to happen sooner or later, and I've never been a fan of the silliness of shoving Papa in a box all game. Austringers are still awesome utility pieces, and I'm glad they now play better with Lucius. 

This definitely makes me more likely to look at Lucius in the future. The Tara changes have also made her more attractive.

Just now, JDAntoine said:

@Aaron @Mason

Just one Guild question really, what is the plan for the Death Marshal now? I understand the Loco changes completely but now I feel there is very little reason to consider a Death Marshal.

Still very new so I could be very wrong but the reason I think he was seen still was because of his utility, which now has been significantly dropped and it isn't like Guild Marshals in general where on top of the curve. So no complaints, just wondering if something is up for them?

Death Marshal Recruiter helps the Guild Marshal characteristic characters, and Pine Box has offensive utility. There are reasons to bring them other than shoving your own models in.

Also they're the best models! Seriously it the was the original Death Marshal minis that caught my attention and made me keep up with Wyrd for years and years before I finally bit the bullet and bought into the game. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bear said:

I'm perfectly happy with these changes, even the Guild cuddles. They had to happen sooner or later, and I've never been a fan of the silliness of shoving Papa in a box all game. Austringers are still awesome utility pieces, and I'm glad they now play better with Lucius. 

This definitely makes me more likely to look at Lucius in the future. The Tara changes have also made her more attractive.

Death Marshal Recruiter helps the Guild Marshal characteristic characters, and Pine Box has offensive utility. There are reasons to bring them other than shoving your own models in.

Also they're the best models! Seriously it the was the original Death Marshal minis that caught my attention and made me keep up with Wyrd for years and years before I finally bit the bullet and bought into the game. 

I don't want to complaint, but largely because they re the best models! I understand what the DMR does and I understand wat the Pine Box does but the secondary effect of the change hits them more than Frank or Papa, I mean I will run those regardless. It's the DM that gets removed from the lists that ran them before, Papa just gets Numb. 

5 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

I don't want to complaint, but largely because they re the best models! I understand what the DMR does and I understand wat the Pine Box does but the secondary effect of the change hits them more than Frank or Papa, I mean I will run those regardless. It's the DM that gets removed from the lists that ran them before, Papa just gets Numb. 

Didn't they just get the void characteristic so Tara can hire them in any faction ? 

• Like 2

I am not sure how their capability to shuttle valuable models got hurt as far as I can tell the only change was to their ability to keep what was intended to be a 1 round buff up indefinitely.  If your main purpose was moving a key model upfield to use them on the enemy they are unchanged as far as I can tell.  I will admit that I am not a guild player and I may have missed something else critical.

First off keep in mind this isn't a personal attack. I do applaud the team for doing what they think is best for the game. It could have been very easy to just leave things as they were.

Personally I'm Not really happy about any of these changes. Especially unhappy about letting the illuminated/black blood shaman combo back into the game. That particular combo was something I saw as responsible for players leaving the game because of how abusive it was. Hopefully given the fact that Aaron is more willing to wield the cuddle bat means that other blatantly OP models like Kirai, Nekima, Yasunori, the Mech Rider, the Doppleganger and others will be on the chopping block next go around.

• Like 2

The fact that the just invalidated old FAQ prevented the condition they gave out from being able to be affected by the pustule effect, as it was a condition and not an ability. Illuminated are already arguably the best 7 as minion in the game without letting a black blood shaman give them black blood and then constantly ping them for Dmg they instantly heal to do 4 unresistable damage to anything in combat with them as well as then buffing or instantly healing them as well depending on the trigger they get.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bear said:

He's probably talking about Sonnia, Perdita, etc. who would take a single Death Marshal to shove Papa into a Box. If Papa doesn't go in a box anymore, theres no need for single Death Marshals in random Guild crews.

Oh ok well I'm a little shocked as I use them all the time a scheme runners, or even better scheme runner hunters. It's hard for emery models to drop scheme markers when there taped in a pine box with a death marshal sitting on it ?

• Like 3

@Fetid Strumpet you know I respect you tons. So the main reason I have to disagree with you is that while this is a strong effect the Illuminated have access to now (especially when adding in Lawyers; which is really just another NB buff I Lucius) it is at its core a cleanup of the rules.

While I accepted @Justin stance in previous FAQ/Errata I always felt it was counter intuitive to most wording on stat cards as Black Blood has always been an ability and for it to be a condition led to much confusion in the early days of the BBS release. 

I think this update is opposite of previous it shows a direction of cleaning up rules for clarity sake as well as balance. In this case balance is still fine I'd argue because the as investment and play to make great use of this is quite expensive. Is it a cool and powerful play.....yes. Is it game breaking...I'd argue no....is it in line with many other rules....yes. 

I think if it becomes a balance issue well see a change going forward but I don't think we'll see that. It's a 14ss investment for a good play and if you're using the lawyer it's even more. At that cost of expect it to be strong (no different than Nekima Yasunori etc)

• Like 4