When to discard to pass an activation.

RMK

I think the ability to pass activations by discarding cards is likely to be a very tactical/playing the player aspect to the game. 

Since it is likely that Abyssinia is outnumbered as a faction, it is likely they could make better use of this mechanic than anyone. 

My premise is that Abyssinia would look to get up in VP early and pass activations to diminish the opponent from fully utilizing their numerical advantage. 

When can you see yourself passing an activation at the expense of a card?

There are 2 things I'd say for this, firstly Abysinna are already wanting to discard to go to Glory, and you only have so many cards...and secondly, Passing has the risk that you won't get to activate anything else you have on the table. If you've left a stronger group of units to counter their later activations, they might be better off just stopping you using them. Or even later on passing themselves to gain the advantage back. 

From the cards we have currently seen they aren't that much more expensive, I'd largely expect most forces to average 3 units per commander, and so elite might only be at 2.5 per commander, and a cheap force is probably only 3.5 per commander. Abysinnia does also seem to get extra actions from its experimental assets (but again at the cost of a card). 

• 2 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:52 AM, Adran said:

There are 2 things I'd say for this, firstly Abysinna are already wanting to discard to go to Glory, and you only have so many cards...and secondly, Passing has the risk that you won't get to activate anything else you have on the table.

Isnt there a faction rule about getting all your activation in this faction? The Long Game?

4 minutes ago, DerangedGamer123 said:

Isnt there a faction rule about getting all your activation in this faction? The Long Game?

There is now.

There might not have been 2 years ago when it was being tested and I made that post. (likewise abyssinna no longer discard to go to glory although at that time in the testing they did)