Titans

Xavian and Deathgrip

Alright, so if you head over to the kickstarter page you can see that Wyrd has revealed the stat cards for the four titans. Or at least the standard sides of the stat cards. It seems that each Titan has a passive ability and an attack on the front of their cards, and seem to have a few more tactical abilities once they reach glory. All of them have very low defense, which is because it should be easy to hit something that is larger than a house, but their armour is quite high, with the exception of Gorysche whose armor is lower than many of the cults other units.

As a guy who always loved Nidzilla builds I am interested to see what lies in store for these giant monstrosities, and find myself happy that I play through Vassal, I don't have the time, money, or space for these things. Even if Gorysche is amazing. I love multi-headed dragons, especially when they don't have legs. I am honestly hoping that another Malifaux allegiance released down the line is built around titans, and hopefully their titans won't be monoliths or ancient war machines. Osoyo seems to be the commander for titans for KE and Abysinia, and I wonder if the CBM or GH will get a titan commander.

Cool question! I personally dont think Titans are ideal to use for Malifaux for a very simple reason that is implementing a 120mm base into a game that only has 2'x3' worth of space on the average table (with 1'x3' being taken up by terrain). 120mm in other games really require a 4'x4' table at the bare minimum and even there ideally 4'x6' is used so they are not easily getting stuck on walls or cannot move past single trees. While it is certainly possible to design them so that they can destroy terrain for example I do not believe that this is ideally used for a well balanced model.

What I like about the Titans so far in TOS is that they feel and look very much optional, useful in the same way as Emissaries are in Malifaux for example. In almost every list you can consider them but not every list requires them.

As a result I expect exactly what you sketched, we will see some Fireteam focused Commanders, some Titan focused Commanders and some 'self' focused Commanders, meaning the latter does something completely by itself but as a result is very powerful an example of that could potentially be The Frenzy. With this type of trifecta it is not incredibly difficult to continue to balance out these Commander options.

Ideally I believe Titans should remain optional. I'm totally okay with them becomming a common sight but I would dislike the idea of all Titans armies becomming the best competative armies. For the simple reason that it's more expensive and my idea of an army remains quantity of soldiers and not a handful of Titans duking it out. :) 

2 hours ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

As a guy who always loved Nidzilla builds I am interested to see what lies in store for these giant monstrosities, 

You know, that kind of makes me wonder, what are the odds that the cult or gibbering hordes(TBH, it seems more likely to be a gibbering horde mechanic) has some type of Tervigon style "spawns new units" titan. I know one or two of he gibbering horde fireteams can essentially re-up on dead squads. but that's not quite the same as being able to spawn in new fireteams from a sort of "mothership" style titan.

The Hordes kind of already have that, with their "bring in a dead Fireteam once a turn" ability.  I could see them do it if it could only summon in a cheap unit, like a Fireteam of Stalking Portals (only a 2 scrip gain) but I'm not sure summoning's going to show up from what we've seen so far.

I both do and don't want more titans to show up.  They seem like the most flexible of units we've seen so far with the opportunity for Assets, but the more you bring the less bodies you have on the field - and no chance to bring them back when they're gone.  Maybe the Cult could have a Commander whose gimmick was managing friendly model's Assets, could really work with the Goryshche's strengths.

Aaron Collaborator about 10 hours ago

@Ash Havery you can definitely play (and win) without a Titan. The two favorite things of playtesters to try to break were Squad movement and Titans

Aaron Collaborator about 10 hours ago

@Neil it's very common to have a Titan. 3 Titans are the most I've seen in a list. People definitely win without Titans. They are powerful to be sure, but a few solid hits can knock them down to size. Playing with no Titans is definitely a viable option

Happy to find this on the KS.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

Wait a second, aren't the titans unique? Then how can you have up to 3 of them at once?

Hm...

Nope, the only Unique models we've seen so far are the Commanders.  It doesn't look like there's a Rare X in the system either, so in a 2 Commander game it looks like technically you could bring 6 Titans (although that may be a bit much lol).

• Like 1

On 2016-12-18 at 8:25 PM, retnab said:

Nope, the only Unique models we've seen so far are the Commanders.  It doesn't look like there's a Rare X in the system either, so in a 2 Commander game it looks like technically you could bring 6 Titans (although that may be a bit much lol).

Unfortunately pulling that kind of shenanigans with Gorysches would be a horrible idea, I get the feeling she will be the strongest titan so long as you have the cards to sustain her. And she feels like she will need a LOT of cards.

It was explained in the gameplay demo video that titans still only take one point of damage to kill.  Just one.  You need ASSETS assigned to these titans for them to not just die when something looks at them.  Even a low strength unit could cheat high to put one point on a titan, and that's that.

So the 6 titan list is completely impractical, as you would be spending all of your points on the titans and none on the assets used to keep them alive.  That'd be a giant mess.

And I'm guessing the reason Goryshche has a lower armor value is because he can discard a card to add an asset which, if I'm listening to the example of play right, will be able to be sacrificed to reduce damage twice.  It's a different kind of durability.

Knowing how hard Wyrd work at balancing Malifaux and working with the community, I don't expect these will end up like WM/WH40k where the person happy to sink a couple of hundred dollars on a single unit is the one going to win every game.  I have every confidence that you'll be able to win just as easily with no titans as with 3 titans - but you'll have to know how to deal with titans. 

I'll probably go for the commander level kickstarter, but if I didn't do that I'd never sink that much money on a single unit. 

• Like 1

The impression I got from the gameplay video was that titans were kind of a big risk. They can deal a lot of damage, and it's hard to hurt one, but it only takes one solid hit. Flip the red joker for penetration, and even a strength 1 attack can kill the king's hand. It's called a "golden BB" - one lucky shot in the right place can down them.

• Like 1